Does God Exist? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:46:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Does God Exist? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
Yes

No

Maybe

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Does God Exist?  (Read 14950 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: March 11, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »

"Maybe" I suppose. I can't say with absolute certainty that there aren't any gods, though I don't find it likely.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »

God is an uncreated Spirit without distinction on the basis of created material but since the human soul is made in the image of that Spirit God can be said to exhibit what we would recognize as person-like characteristics, though at a level vastly beyond what we can comprehend. God is not any more 'in' any given part of the physical universe than in any other part.

That's the claim, but how do you know it's true? What's the evidence?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »

I believe in God because I can't imagine what life would be like without Him.

It's largely the same, except you get to sleep in on Sundays.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »

I believe in God because I can't imagine what life would be like without Him.

It's largely the same, except you get to sleep in on Sundays.

Because there are no churches with afternoon or evening services. Roll Eyes

Captain Obvious would like to tell you that you shouldn't take an obviously snarky comment literally.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:49:52 PM »

Well, actually, I'm an Adventist, so I go to church on Saturday, not Sunday.  What I mean is that I can't imagine what life would be like without a higher power that controlled what goes on in the world.  Simply put, I believe in God because I want to.

And what I was getting at is that what you want is irrelevant - reality is what it is. If God does not exist then your perception of reality is simply wrong, and what goes on around you right now wouldn't be any different.

Believing in something solely because you want to is a terrible reason to believe something anyways - it's basically an admission you don't care about what the truth actually is.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:20:41 PM »

I do care what the truth is, but the wish is father to the thought.

No, you don't care - if you did wishful thinking wouldn't be a good enough reason to believe something. If you cared you'd want evidence.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »

No, you don't care - if you did wishful thinking wouldn't be a good enough reason to believe something. If you cared you'd want evidence.

But then most of the things we care about are beyond any rational (and certainly beyond any empirical) criterium of truth.

What constitutes "most of the things we care about"?

I do want evidence, but until I find evidence that convinces me otherwise, then I believe that God exists.

Generally speaking you can't provide evidence for a negative. I could say I believe that there's an ethereal, invisible dragon in my garage which can't be demonstrated in any way and I will believe in it until I can be provided with evidence to the contrary - would you consider me particularly rational for holding such a position?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 03:03:24 PM »

But then most of the things we care about are beyond any rational (and certainly beyond any empirical) criterium of truth.

What constitutes "most of the things we care about"?

Morality, aesthetics, our concern with the truth of what we say,...

I fail to see how any of these are beyond rationality or empirical analysis.

The consequences of systems of morality and actions can be observed and compared against eachother.

Aesthetics is a matter of personal preference and as such are not something for which a truth value can be assessed, but you can generally deduce the general origins of these preferences.

Concern with the truth of what we say goes back to morality in the context of deceit. Constantly lying to people is not a good way to build trust and if people don't trust you then you won't likely get the benefits of cooperation with them. In terms of actually wanting to know the truth, knowing true things is beneficial because actions taken based on things that are true are much more likely to have the intended results than actions taken based on things that are false.

There might be no JUDGEMENT DAY OR NO GOD, but there might be reincarnation. Takes about 300-500 yrs to return and live in the reality of cause and effect and what you put out will come back. And live out the remaining yrs of the life cycle of this planet respecting each ones' religion. It is the belief that is what counts.

There might be reincarnation that is a total lottery and Hitler will hit the Jackpot and reincarnate as someone who will inherit billions of dollars and live a life of luxury and happiness. There are tons of things that might be, but we shouldn't every possibility seriously.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 04:41:32 PM »

*: And while I'm at it: how do I rationally determine what things I should attempt to bring about? What things are worthy of my attention?

It's a matter of personal values I suppose. I'll come right out and say that none of the things you're mentioning are matters of actual existence - the matter of God is not a matter of a concept, but of an actual thing that is purported to exist. That is not a matter of philosophy, it is an actual matter of fact and should be treated as such.

Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there.

When did I claim otherwise?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When did I claim otherwise? And as for God, what is your strong evidence?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies