Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 31, 2014, 03:17:54 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Congressional Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  If Bachus loses tomorrow...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: If Bachus loses tomorrow...  (Read 1105 times)
Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: 4.35

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:51:53 pm »
Ignore

will the news outlets and pundits try to cast 2012 as an anti-incumbent year like they did with 2010?

That's sort of the feeling I'm starting to get.

morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:18:22 pm »
Ignore

Bachus?

He's not up until 2014, no?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 05:26:34 pm »
Ignore

you're thinking of Max Baucus, senator from Montana. Miles is talking about Spencer Bacchus, the banking chairman from Alabama.
Svensson
NVTownsend
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 06:06:42 pm »
Ignore

Curious question: how bad are Bachus' opponents relative to his own politics? Because I have a sneaking suspicion he's on the curb, after the anti-incumbent primary tear the conservatives went on last cycle.
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 06:22:26 pm »
Ignore

you're thinking of Max Baucus, senator from Montana. Miles is talking about Spencer Bacchus, the banking chairman from Alabama.

And is suspected of actions that amount to insider trading, and would be illegal for anyone who isn't a Congressman.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 06:23:12 pm »
Ignore

Curious question: how bad are Bachus' opponents relative to his own politics? Because I have a sneaking suspicion he's on the curb, after the anti-incumbent primary tear the conservatives went on last cycle.

Both his opponents are running to his right.

State Senator Beason: He was the chief sponsor of Alabama's version of the AZ-style immigration bill and has a record of proposing "English language only" legislation. His campaign website has a Gingrich-style "plan" for cheap gasoline and attacks Bachus for supporting TARP and such.
Blount County Probate Judge and Commission Chairman Standridge: (yes, apparently he's the county's executive and judge at the same time, I had no idea any states allowed that) He's running as more of a deficit hawk, it seems, but still conservative as all hell (for example, a brief scan of his campaign website reveals that he's against abortion in all circumstances, no exceptions).

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.
I, for one, fully support the increasing gifification of the Atlas.
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 06:28:16 pm »
Ignore

State Senator Beason: He was the chief sponsor of Alabama's version of the AZ-style immigration bill and has a record of proposing "English language only" legislation. His campaign website has a Gingrich-style "plan" for cheap gasoline and attacks Bachus for supporting TARP and such.
Blount County Probate Judge and Commission Chairman Standridge: (yes, apparently he's the county's executive and judge at the same time, I had no idea any states allowed that) He's running as more of a deficit hawk, it seems, but still conservative as all hell (for example, a brief scan of his campaign website reveals that he's against abortion in all circumstances, no exceptions).

Where does it say that? This is all I find which isn't very explicit about that:

Abortion should not be a legal means of contraception because it extinguishes human life. I value human life and think it should be protected. Roe v. Wade made abortion legal in this country in a decision by the courts. This gave up the state's individual rights to decide this question for themselves. Roe v. Wade should be overturned. However, this is a considerable task at hand since the courts made the decision and must reverse it. In the mean time, we must limit within the powers of the law the amount of abortions going on in this country to as few as possible.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 07:15:51 pm »
Ignore

Presumably he'll have a drink or twelve if he loses.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
rbt48
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 10:18:04 pm »
Ignore

In Kentucky, the County Judge is effectively the County Executive, except for Jefferson and Fayette Counties.

Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 09:34:33 am »
Ignore

that's how it works in Texas, too.
homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 10:54:53 am »
Ignore

Presumably he'll have a drink or twelve if he loses.

♪♪ Sed in ludo qui morantur   
ex his quidam denudantur   
quidam ibi vestiuntur
quidam saccis induuntur
Ibi nullus timet mortem   
sed pro Bachus mittunt sortem
♪♪

Grin
redcommander
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 02:34:19 pm »
Ignore

I didn't realize he was in trouble. It doesn't really matter if he loses though since this is the most Republican friendly district in the country right?
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 02:45:08 pm »
Ignore

I didn't realize he was in trouble. It doesn't really matter if he loses though since this is the most Republican friendly district in the country right?
Safe R whatever happens, indeed.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Ray Goldfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 09:23:07 pm »
Ignore

Looks like Bachus held on pretty decisively. 58% of the vote right now.
muon2
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 09:23:32 pm »
Ignore

Safe R whatever happens, indeed.

Bachus at 59% with 39% in. Nothing to see here, move along.

Lunar Eclipse of April 15, 2014 with the star Spica.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 10:07:22 pm »
Ignore

People actually thought Bachus would lose?
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 04:50:21 am »
Ignore

Probably such predictions were made under the influence.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 04:52:48 am »
Ignore

Yes, now that the results are in, you two can act like geniuses who can predict the future.

lol

smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
P
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 05:10:09 am »
Ignore

Well, i have to admit that Republican primary voters in AL-06 demonstrated more common sense then i expected from this hyperrepublican and extremely conservative district....

Raging moderate. Big fan of "mavericks" (in all parties) and big non-lover of "reliable foot soldiers" (in all parties as well). Very much "anti-tea party". Political Matrix - E: -0.26, S: -3.48
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 05:14:27 am »
Ignore

Yes, now that the results are in, you two can act like geniuses who can predict the future.

lol

Actually I was just making a cheap word joke.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout