The Good Old Days by Reaganfan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:12:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Good Old Days by Reaganfan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Good Old Days by Reaganfan  (Read 3976 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2012, 03:38:56 PM »
« edited: March 12, 2012, 03:54:42 PM by Reaganfan »

Many, many people misconstrue my opinions when I reminiscence of the "Good Old Days". What were they? Were they the 1950s? Where the Russians were gaining in the Cold War, when racial tensions were building stronger in the South? Were they the tumultuous 1960s that radically changed America and the world? Were they the despondent 1970s? The egotistical 1980s?

I think too many people see a Reaganfan post called "The Good Old Days" and presume I'm speaking of the 1980s.

In actuality, what I speak of during my interminable stream of consciousness postings about the "glory days" of the United States with respect to popular culture, politics and history, is not only a recollection of 1980s culture, but looking back to a time when America truly was a different place.

What makes this significant is that in the general scheme of things, these times were not long ago at all. In fact, I would reckon that even the 1990s more closely resembled the America we all remember and love when compared and contrasted against the dystopian-like atmosphere that defines the 2010s, thus far.

When I say I admire and reflect positively on the 1950s, for example, that doesn't mean (as many liberals seem eager to jump at inconclusively) that I reflect positively on the civil rights violence and segregation of the 1950s. I mean, after all, if someone says they prefer music from the 1960s, does that mean they wish the Vietnam War was still going on? Of course not. When I say I admire the 1980s, that does not mean I look back positively on the crack epidemic or the horrific AIDS epidemic that took so many souls back during the decade. On the same token, I should note that just because my recollection of the 1990s is not as favorable as my yearning for earlier decades, that doesn't mean I don't miss many movies and much of the music of the 1990s. Indeed, my three favorite films were released in 1992, 1996 and 1998 respectively.

My three favorite films, all products of the 1990s.

What is driving the negatives in America, is a combination of the following:

Political Correctness - The incorrect thought process of "You can't say that" when, yes, indeed you can and you should.

Entitlements - More government handouts, more government involvement, more giving without doing anything or earn or deserve it. It is fitting that at a time when this is at an all time high, we also have a President who was elected on a platform of platitudes. Almost seems Orwellian doesn't it?

"I'm voting Obama." Is he a Governor or a Senator? "Uh...I don't know what those words are." Then why vote for him? "Cuz." BARACK OBAMA ELECTED PRESIDENT

Sense of Entitlement - America is founded on Capitalism, Freedom and Opportunity. Period. We had a "Cold War" that would have brought about nuclear Armageddon before communism. Think about that. Just 20 short years ago, we would've launched nuclear warheads before surrendering our Capitalistic society. Now, just a brief page turn later, we find citizens and sadly even some of our leaders acting as though Capitalism is not the American way, but rather the Utopian-like society of Europe. Moreover, people across the country feel "entitled" to everything. They are not. Period. They are entitled to Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness. Not free things because they feel like it. You're Americans. Don't forget.

Double Standards - By many accounts, I would be considered a sexist today. However, if it were 40 years ago, I'd be considered pro-feminism. That's how drastically and extreme things have changed. Although it's often called "close minded", I can't grasp how if a woman is so strong and independent, she should also feel obligated to something "because she's a woman". What I mean is, "Okay, you wanna be a strong feminist, be my guest...but don't let me ever hear you complain about something being unfair or unjust "because you're a woman". It's like when people would say, "I know it's hard, but you're a cop. You should be able to handle yourself." Same logic applies to feminists. With regards to race and culture, they're just words. If words upset people that much, then NEVER talk about Freedom of Speech.

Culture Cringe - Don't run away from your culture. Embrace it. Culture cringe is defined as an internalized inferiority complex which causes people in a country to dismiss their own culture as inferior to the cultures of other countries.

"Yo man wats up cracker jack fool yo?" You're a white guy. "RACIST!"

If these simple issues could be resolved, America would instantly become better. We can look to our past for examples. 60 years ago, it was much, much easier for children to get hold of firearms. But 60 years ago, there was not nearly the violence and/or school shootings we see today. So guns aren't the problem. That is obvious. Then what is? Let's zero in on what changed during the preceding decades that caused this sudden volt of violence, then we can roll up our sleeves and get to the cause of the problem. If the banks fail, let's start again. Let's not use taxpayer money to bail them out. You don't put a band aid on a broken bone. Don't bail out hopeless infrastructure.

It's very simple. Very simple, and that's what amazes me. If we come to terms with what we face, we can bring back the good old days.

Perhaps. Just perhaps.

Reaganfan
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 03:44:57 PM »

You seem like the type of guy I could use to make school Powerpoint presentations.  How much you chargin'?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 03:47:09 PM »

this should have been you last picture, instead:

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 03:47:28 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »

Reported for racism/hate speech/painful stupidity.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »

No where in this post was anything racist or hate speech said. At all.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 03:54:46 PM »

I believe he was being ironic. Tongue
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2012, 04:02:57 PM by Nagas »

Grass is greener on the other side, etc.

America is pretty great, it hasn't really stopped being great. It's pretty annoying that the opposition (of both parties) always declares that America "stopped being great" when they're on the outs.

There always has been and always will be (for the foreseeable future), people that vote without thinking about it. Cherry picking a fraction of the youth vote that went for Obama does not craft a good argument. Republicans have  similar zombie voters in those good 'ol rednecks.

This is bad and you should feel bad. I recommend you stop this drivel and get a nice stable job as a janitor with no internet access.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 04:02:36 PM »

Grass is greener on the other side, etc.

America is pretty great, it hasn't really stopped being great. It's pretty annoying that the opposition (of both parties) always declares that America "stopped being great" when they're on the outs.

There always has been and always will be (for the foreseeable future), people that vote without thinking about it. Cherry picking a fraction of the youth vote that went for Obama is not a good example. Republicans have  similar zombie voters in those good 'ol rednecks.

This is bad and you should feel bad. I recommend you stop this drivel and get a nice stable job as a janitor with no internet access.

My question is if you become defensive, does that mean you condone the negatives I mention in this thread? If you don't condone, then why become defensive?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »

So, Naso has moved on to the 90s?  By 2020, the 2000s will be considered wonderful.

My question is if you become defensive, does that mean you condone the negatives I mention in this thread? If you don't condone, then why become defensive?

I didn't notice any negatives.  Please point them out.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 04:17:30 PM »

Naso considers these people the epitome of moral values and good political thinking, certainly better informed and thoughtful than Obama's youth voters no doubt:

Gingrich leads early voters 53-37-11 (G-R-S). Appears to be a really small percentage though. 45% of Alabama Republicans think Obama is a Muslim, 41% Unsure, 14% think Christian. 21% think interracial marriage should be illegal. 60% don't believe in evolution.
Gingrich leads early voters 38-29-20 (G-R-S). 52% think Obama is a Muslim, 12% Christian, 36% Unsure. 66% do not believe in evolution. 29% think interracial marriage should be illegal.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 04:19:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The hilarious thing is that Naso thinks he's any different from these hypothetical people.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 04:59:57 PM »

+1, Naso liking Fargo surprised me.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »

I wonder if Michael Anthony Naso, Jr. did read a single book in his life.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 05:09:56 PM »

Yes that was the most interesting thing in this post.

I have to admit I'm a nostalgist too, Naso, and for very nearly the same time periods, though for pretty much the opposite reasons.

One things for sure - things can only get worse.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 05:43:36 PM »

Not gonna argue with the "painful stupidity" point though, eh? Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 05:46:24 PM »

Alas! If only painful stupidity were an infractable offense. If only...
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 06:25:20 PM »

The Good Old Days = Childhood, no matter what decade.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 09:18:10 PM »

The hilarious thing is that Naso thinks he's any different from these hypothetical people.

Can we have a dump of some funny Naso 2005 quotes? 
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 09:41:34 PM »

At least you like Reservoir Dogs!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »

They're hot!
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 09:18:57 AM »

Mike Naso has a hard-on for America and America has a hard-on for him.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 10:04:13 AM »

Mike Naso has a hard-on for America and America has a hard-on for him.

Dubious for a such a fat, unhealthy place.  Perhaps a slight tumescence, but nothing really, properly hard.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 10:11:30 AM »

I'd do both those girls at once.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend