March 13 Results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:59:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  March 13 Results
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25
Author Topic: March 13 Results  (Read 32276 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: March 13, 2012, 10:27:53 PM »

Whoop, with 90% reporting Romney is now down only 200 votes in Alabama, versus Gingrich.

Honestly, I think a third-place result for Gingrich in Alabama might be even better for Santorum than Romney in 3rd.  Santorum has already embarrassed Romney in both states.  It would help to embarrass Gingrich in one of his "must-wins" too.

Where is Mittens pulling a rabbit out of the hat?  And yes, I agree with you.  Newt being around is probably worth about 75 delegates for Mittens in the end, as a wild guess. That man whom I loathe viscerally (Rick I disdain but certainly do not loathe), needs to be kept somewhat viable for awhile longer. Maybe however he can ride his $2.50 gas price BS to staying viable irrespective. He's gone totally nutter on that one, but maybe that just makes him more appealing!  Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #426 on: March 13, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »

Those were big dumps from Mobile and Baldwin, which have now caught up with the rest of the state.  Gingrich should pull it out.

OK, then the earlier vote in Baldwin was from the hinterlands. That early number really freaked me out. It would be like my home town going for Rick - well not really, but you get the drift.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #427 on: March 13, 2012, 10:31:31 PM »

Romney was getting some urban areas finishing up, which helped them.  At 98% reporting (with Gingrich +2,000) Mobile is still 20% out, but Romney's lead there over Gingrich is only +4,000.  Romney is a doubly cooked goose, I'm pretty sure.

Edit: And the new Mobile dump was basically a three-way tie, safe Gingrich.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #428 on: March 13, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »

Looks like Paul's best county of the night so far is Pearl River, at all of 8.4%

While I can't get the percentage for him from the Google maps, it appears that Rick Perry's best county in Mississippi was ...  Perry County!  He also did relatively well in Perry County, Alabama, but with only 42% reporting it looks like Pickens County, Alabama is even better for now.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #429 on: March 13, 2012, 10:41:30 PM »

Anything on the delegates:

AP has:

MI:  S 12, R 11, G 11

AL:  S 15, G 9, R 7

Anybody with a better estimate?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #430 on: March 13, 2012, 10:41:43 PM »

Congrats Phil. 10 states now for Santorum.

Santorum did what Huckabee couldn't, win Mississippi.

Oh, and if Gingrich wants to see Romney go down in flames- he needs to drop out, so that Santorum can rack up some huge wins.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #431 on: March 13, 2012, 10:47:51 PM »

Congrats Phil. 10 states now for Santorum.

Oh, and if Gingrich wants to see Romney go down in flames- he needs to drop out, so that Santorum can rack up some huge wins.

Huck dropped out before Mississippi voted.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #432 on: March 13, 2012, 10:48:54 PM »

Huckabee had dropped out by that point.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #433 on: March 13, 2012, 10:49:30 PM »

While J. J. is busy drowning his tears in delegates, here's some actually useful contextualization from Nate Silver, who reminds us that any Santorum victory probably requires Illinois, and even then it's a toughie:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #434 on: March 13, 2012, 10:50:59 PM »

Does someone who knows MS/AL demographics want to explain these county maps?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #435 on: March 13, 2012, 10:51:55 PM »

Romney might have come in third in both MS and AL, but he still has hope tonight. Hawaii only has 17 delegates up for grabs tonight, but Romney could very well win all of them.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #436 on: March 13, 2012, 10:53:32 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well then. Santorum did what Huckabee did not, win MS. Wink
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #437 on: March 13, 2012, 10:54:01 PM »

AP has:

As I said, the vote in MS didn't matter much. I think Mittens is one short of my spreadsheet (well there are three delegates still out for some reason, maybe depending on the final percentage, but maybe give 1 more to each candidate). In AL, they didn't allocate the CD delegates (where it is a 2-1-0 deal, rather than a 1-1-1 deal). It looks like Mittens might win 2 of the 7 CD's, worth four more delegates. He might pick up another couple coming in second in two CD's elsewhere. So allocate another 6 delegates to Mittens total. The rest go to the Newt/Rick candidate.
yourelection

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #438 on: March 13, 2012, 10:54:36 PM »

It was an interesting night. My thoughts about the primaries are up on the blog (http://www.yourelection.net/2012/03/santorum-takes-mississippi-and-alabama-from-gingrich/).

Time to sign off.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #439 on: March 13, 2012, 11:00:44 PM »

Does someone who knows MS/AL demographics want to explain these county maps?

To simplify...

With AL - Gingrich won in the black belt, Santorum won in northern Alabama (which is full of all of those used-to-be Democrats who switched based on social issues) and Romney probably won in the suburbs and urban areas, though I'd have to look precinct by precinct there.  I said the polls were most likely to be way off in Alabama b/c most of the Santorum north Alabama folks still identify as Democrats and might get knocked out of the likely voter screen (same thing happened in 2008, btw)

With MS - Somewhat the same, though Mitt Romney had a better showing in the black belt here, which may well be due to Barbour's machine.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #440 on: March 13, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »

It was an interesting night. My thoughts about the primaries are up on the blog (http://www.yourelection.net/2012/03/santorum-takes-mississippi-and-alabama-from-gingrich/).

Time to sign off.

Interesting headline.  Smiley
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #441 on: March 13, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2012, 11:12:14 PM by Unofficial Southern Voter »

At the risk of sounding like a cartoonish super-villain...Losing AL and MS are all part of Mitt Romney's master plan.

..seriously. All he had to so is gather up some delegates and maintain his majority of delegates awarded position, which he has (even before he scoops up more from the pacific islands).

Moving forward, Romney's plan still probably expects him to lose almost half the upcoming contests. The only way for Santorum to stop Romney from getting his 1144 is for Rick to actually win a majority of contests, including some WTA states. I still don't see that happening.

The thing that Romney "lost" tonight is another chance to end this thing early. Just like with Super Tuesday, he continues to win just enough and nothing more.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #442 on: March 13, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »

Yeah, but finishing third in both states is an embarrassment. Two, Newt got shutout.

You might call this a tactical defeat (in that Romney didn't win any states), but it's also a serious strategic defeat.

He spent money that he didn't need to spend in states that he lost (outspent Santorum + Gingrich combined).

I've been arguing this a long time now. If you can gain by spending nothing you are best off spending nothing. What he wants, for a strategic victory, are 2 Newt wins, if he can't win the states himself.

This is a big strategic and tactical victory for Santorum. He came from behind once again to defeat both of his rivals, and demonstrated that he's the only viable alternative to Mitt Romney.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #443 on: March 13, 2012, 11:18:57 PM »

The interesting thing about MS and Alabama, is that Mittens did quite well, where he usually blows (maybe ironically "the folks" respect more what "their leaders" are saying, mostly for Romney, because that is the culture, rather than the more sharp elbowed culture that most of us enjoy, where we tend to enjoy telling "the establishment" of our individual cohorts to just take a hike - just who the F do they think they are?), and blew where he usually rules. Demographics didn't matter much, where they have been key everywhere else. If Nate did not pick that up, he's missing something. The issue is why Mittens blew among the upper middle class, and whether that portends anything. Probably not, and the LDS thing needs to be touched upon, but it deserves more discussion than it is getting.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #444 on: March 13, 2012, 11:21:25 PM »

It looks like "Uncommitted" has won at least 4 counties against Obama in Alabama Smiley
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #445 on: March 13, 2012, 11:21:48 PM »

AP has:

As I said, the vote in MS didn't matter much. I think Mittens is one short of my spreadsheet (well there are three delegates still out for some reason, maybe depending on the final percentage, but maybe give 1 more to each candidate). In AL, they didn't allocate the CD delegates (where it is a 2-1-0 deal, rather than a 1-1-1 deal). It looks like Mittens might win 2 of the 7 CD's, worth four more delegates. He might pick up another couple coming in second in two CD's elsewhere. So allocate another 6 delegates to Mittens total. The rest go to the Newt/Rick candidate.

MS will end up as 13-12-12.  I'll dig through Alabama precinct results tomorrow (or the AP will beat me to it).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #446 on: March 13, 2012, 11:23:53 PM »

Well I royally screwed up those predictions.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #447 on: March 13, 2012, 11:24:28 PM »

It doesn't actually matter how coming in 3rd might have "embarrassed" Romney, or what the delegate count might be tonight.  That's not actually the bad news for Romney.  The bad news for Romney is that Gingrich failed to win either state, and so now there's actually a chance that he might drop out soon.  Gingrich dropping out soon is the one thing with the potential to shake up the race at all.  If Gingrich stays in, then the status quo prevails, and Romney wins the nomination relatively easily.  But Gingrich dropping out at least has the potential to change the dynamics enough to make it interesting.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #448 on: March 13, 2012, 11:27:59 PM »

The interesting thing about MS and Alabama, is that Mittens did quite well, where he usually blows (maybe ironically "the folks" respect more what "their leaders" are saying, mostly for Romney, because that is the culture, rather than the more sharp elbowed culture that most of us enjoy, where we tend to enjoy telling "the establishment" of our individual cohorts to just take a hike - just who the F do they think they are?), and blew where he usually rules. Demographics didn't matter much, where they have been key everywhere else. If Nate did not pick that up, he's missing something. The issue is why Mittens blew among the upper middle class, and whether that portends anything. Probably not, and the LDS thing needs to be touched upon, but it deserves more discussion than it is getting.

Nate, to is credit, actually pointed out that Romney does much more poorly in affluent suburban areas in the South and Midwest than the rest of the country.  Sean Trende really nailed this with his demographic analysis, though.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #449 on: March 13, 2012, 11:28:49 PM »

Yeah, but finishing third in both states is an embarrassment. Two, Newt got shutout.

You might call this a tactical defeat (in that Romney didn't win any states), but it's also a serious strategic defeat.

He spent money that he didn't need to spend in states that he lost (outspent Santorum + Gingrich combined).

I've been arguing this a long time now. If you can gain by spending nothing you are best off spending nothing. What he wants, for a strategic victory, are 2 Newt wins, if he can't win the states himself.

This is a big strategic and tactical victory for Santorum. He came from behind once again to defeat both of his rivals, and demonstrated that he's the only viable alternative to Mitt Romney.

actually, no. Mitt spent money and got delegates. In fact, he actually will probably end up with more delegates than he expected. And he got a little bit bigger percent of the vote than he had in previous southern contests.

The narative going in was that Romney is weak in the south but he is the expected nominee after a long fight to the end. He had a chance to change that narrative and missed it, but Santorum didn't over-perform to an extent that put Mitt's future plan in jeopardy. In fact, Rick actually came in a bit behind the recent Nate Silver 'baseline of Romney winning and way behind the scenario where he has to be in order to stop Romney.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies