Office of Senator Clarence (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:28:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Senator Clarence (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Office of Senator Clarence  (Read 4793 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 28, 2012, 05:14:09 PM »

Erm...don't you guys think this will lead to the school perceived as the "best" becoming over crowded and the schools perceived as the "worst" emptying out?  Only children fortunate enough to be able to provide their own transportation could go to the "best" district school while children reliant on busing would be stuck in the school they are districted to, regardless of its quality.  This could very easily become an issue of class.

We are concerned that all sides in many educational contraversaries are not being fairly debated in the public class room. Teachers being denied tenure because of idealology not merit.
It's not the public school system's job to teach religion.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:32:18 PM »

Erm...don't you guys think this will lead to the school perceived as the "best" becoming over crowded and the schools perceived as the "worst" emptying out?  Only children fortunate enough to be able to provide their own transportation could go to the "best" district school while children reliant on busing would be stuck in the school they are districted to, regardless of its quality.  This could very easily become an issue of class.

We are concerned that all sides in many educational contraversaries are not being fairly debated in the public class room. Teachers being denied tenure because of idealology not merit.
Yelnoc- the class issue is what I attempt to address with my transportation assistance. As for your other point- yes, I do believe that will be an effect. As far as I know... districts allocate resources based upon attendance at their schools. If a school is higher performing and therefore attracts more students, that school will be allocated more resources by the district to account for the extra student load
Whoops, skipped the transportation bit...

But that would be difficult to work out.  Busses would have to work long, meandering routes, cavnassing entire counties for students.  Imagine Bus from School A has to go down Baker Street to pick up Johnny who doesn't like School B, which he was districted into.  The Bus from School B also has to go down Baker Street to pick up the kids content with its school...we're seriously over complicating busing.  Not to mention the extra money which would need to be allotted for the extra miles driven several times every day.

And yes, schools are allocated money based on the projection population size.  This bill, however, would cause one or two schools to see their population swell dramatically, probably enough to require campus expansion...while other schools in the county sit nearly empty.  New teachers would need to be hired, and where better to hire them from then the empty schools?  Perhaps this bill would not serve to make school districts any better, but instead consolidate the number of schools into mega-schools.  In my real life county in the Atlanta Metro Area, you would likely end up with three schools, each with 7,000 students, minimum.  All of this done at great expense to the federal government (which I understand would be paying for the restructuring rather than local governments) for dubious gain.

I appreciate what you're attempting to do with this bill Clarence, and I would certainly like to see this conversation carried out in the senate, but as a real life high school student I fear the unintended consequences this would have in our imaginary world. Wink

But why shouldn't it be? I say this doubting that JCL would appreciate the curriculum that a secularist like me would introduce. But excluding religion from the purview of public education merely because it is a controversial subject is foolish. Why ignore a significant part of the human experience, a part that is essential to understanding our history, culture, and behavior?

(Yes, I understand that this has nothing to do with JCL's point.)
You know very well I meant proselytize Tongue

Religion should be taught in a historical context in history class, not in Science classrooms as fact.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:54:52 PM »

But evolution is not fact and shouldn't be taught as such. What I'm saying is that the various views of our beginnings should be taught and debated in our classrooms much like the issue over prayer in school is.
Look...that's wonderful.  But could you keep this kind of thing in the Religion board, rather than airing your personal politics in this game?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 12:49:13 PM »

Excuse me for interjecting. I attend a Catholic school, and throughout middle school and early high school, the ideas of evolution were clearly explained and whatnot. Hell, they were probably accepted as fact or close to it by the teaching, and probably as fact by the teachers. And that was in a Catholic school. The job of a science class is to teach theories as theories, not to get into a huge debate. The fact that almost no one in my school today believes in the religion is much more the fault of bad religion teachers than anything else. Point is, you want religion, you send your kid home and talk to them at the dinner table, or you send them to a religious school. Evolution is the dominating scientific theory on the creation of life and should be taught as such.
The Catholic Church is down with evolution. They got burned on the whole geocentrism thing (or rather a lot of scientists did). In any case, they're trying to stay ahead of the curve on this one. Unfortunately, they're totally missing the boat on all other things sexual and reproductive. Hopefully it won't take them hundreds of years to fix that one.

No, they're getting the sex issues dealt with, especially regarding renegade(ones messing with kids) priests though a bit late. If they, and many other Christian sects want to stay conservative on this, let them.
Look at the Islamic world, they are having kids at the rate many western Christians once did and at some point may out populate the Christian world. That is something I don't want.
Wait a minute, American conservatives fear Eurabia too?  Shocked
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies