Office of Senator Clarence (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:53:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Senator Clarence (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Office of Senator Clarence  (Read 4801 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: June 29, 2012, 05:43:35 PM »

I want to interject about something other than teaching the Bible in schools.

I admire your idea to allow parents to enroll their children in any public school within their district. I'd caution, though, that this could be made to displace local students from nearby schools. What happens if people from the far end of the district fill up the closest school to a child living below the poverty line. I understand that providing the child with transportation to get to his school is an option, but it kind of flies in the face of giving parents a choice--what if they don't want their kids to take the bus? Moreover, that transportation becomes a big state expense.

I'd suggest making two enrollment periods. Give local students first priority to their nearest schools: "Yes, I want my child to go to his regular school," or "No, I will not be enrolling my student in his regular school." Once that window has closed, give the parents carte blanche.

I think that will reduce some of the problems that unbridled school choice would create. It's what I fought for in the IDS. Parents get a choice, but kids who need to go to their home school won't be displaced.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies