Obama and Maher
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:45:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama and Maher
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Obama and Maher  (Read 3734 times)
Tidewater_Wave
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:08:28 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ISKQD7ytSk

Obama can be the billion dollar man with as much money as he's going to raise and Maher can be the million dollar man. So much for "leading by example." Now the Democrats on this forum can pee their pants over this ad and whine about the GOP. Go!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:19:20 PM »

A very well presented video...
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 08:21:44 PM »

What part of the state are you from?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 08:23:02 PM »

Newberry-west of Gainesville. How about yourself?
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »

Orlando first, but moving to Jacksonville within the next year. Check the other one I put up about gas prices on this 2012 forum.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 09:15:14 PM »

Might be effective fundraiser by using the implied Rush Limbaugh-as-victim card but don't see how what Bill Maher and David Letterman did is connected to Obama, even if it were offensive which I don't really see.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 09:17:03 PM »

Maher donated to the Obama campaign (PAC = campaign)... has Rush donated to the Romney or Santorum campaigns? If not- how is he connected?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 09:29:54 PM »

Maher donated to the Obama campaign (PAC = campaign)... has Rush donated to the Romney or Santorum campaigns? If not- how is he connected?

Romney himself constantly hides behind the "I legally have no control of my Super PAC" line so applying Romney's own standard, Obama has no connection to or control over a PAC supporting him.

Romney bases his case for the presidency on the success of Bain, who is paying Limbaugh to call Fluke a slut and say the provocative things he says.

This is before even comparing comedian to political pundit and the different standards that should apply.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 09:51:11 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ISKQD7ytSk

Obama can be the billion dollar man with as much money as he's going to raise and Maher can be the million dollar man. So much for "leading by example." Now the Democrats on this forum can pee their pants over this ad and whine about the GOP. Go!

Are we really going to go down this road? Take a look at the GOP candidates. With the exception of Ron Paul, we have seen the corresponding SuperPACs of these candidates far exceed the spending in primary states when compared to their actual campaigns. The vast majority of money that is being raised and spent by the GOP field is fielded through these PACs.

Obama's campaign is quite the opposite. Besides devising the largest grassroots donation structure in the history of the planet back in 2008, Obama's campaign in 2012 is raising and spending more money than his corresponding SuperPAC. Liberals by and large have resisted donating to Priorities USA because we generally do not like the sentiment of the ruling of Citizens United. Nevertheless, the whole point of Maher's donation was to say essentially, "Stop being pussies and start playing the game".
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 09:54:22 PM »

Might be effective fundraiser by using the implied Rush Limbaugh-as-victim card but don't see how what Bill Maher and David Letterman did is connected to Obama, even if it were offensive which I don't really see.

You don't see how donating a million dollars to Obama is connected to Obama?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 10:48:39 PM »

This man attacked Palin's children, especially Trig, just because he has Down Syndrome. The fact there hasn't been more of an uproar over this guys comments is absurd and shows a double-standard.

I guarentee this - If Rush called Obama's children imbreds and other horrible names and called Michelle a c***, he would immediately be kicked off air and there would be massive public outrage.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 10:52:45 PM »

You are exactly right Tmthforu94
ajb
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 10:54:59 PM »

You don't see how donating a million dollars to Obama is connected to Obama?

Obama's exactly as responsible for "every bad joke one of his supporters makes" as Rick Santorum is.

http://www.balloon-juice.com/2012/02/16/santorum-calls-foster-friesss-bayer-aspirin-comment-a-bad-joke/

And two seconds on google brought me to Rush Limbaugh calling Michelle Obama "uppity," which is a pretty loaded term in context, and also to saying that she was fat.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/11/rush-limbaugh-michelle-obama-uppity-ism.html
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 10:59:41 PM »

Has anybody listened to the context in which Maher called Palin a 'c*nt'? I don't see how it's sexist. If Sarah Palin came out and called Obama a 'd*ckhead', would that be sexist, too?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 11:02:52 PM »

Awwww how cuuuuute.

There are many things that Bill Maher says that I strongly disagree with, the comment about Trig Palin was completely wrong and he should have been called on it. Palin is fair game.

But equating Maher with Limbaugh is a tremendous stretch, what Limbaugh does for the GOP is worth far more than a million dollars. Maher is NOT the mouthpiece and primary cheerleader for the left, unlike Limbaugh who's so powerful, no major GOPer will condemn what he said... because when Rush isn't controversial, he's lauded on the House floor and in the Missouri State House... but when he's says something deeply offensive (as well as completely ill-informed) he's 'an entertainer'.

This knee-jerk reaction seems to just be the conservatives trying to position themselves as 'persecuted by the liberal media' ie their default stance when they get called on something.

If ANYONE regardless of political persuasion attacks an innocent for their own gain, then they should be called on it.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 11:06:18 PM »

The Republicans are very good at playing the victim, particularly since they are usually the ones who create real victims.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »

Has anybody listened to the context in which Maher called Palin a 'c*nt'? I don't see how it's sexist. If Sarah Palin came out and called Obama a 'd*ckhead', would that be sexist, too?

Eh, Maher has been a vile ______ for well over a decade.  TBS, if that was the metric used for rejecting campaign funds then the whole system would fall apart.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 11:07:49 PM »

Maher is the man.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 11:08:31 PM »

Romney himself constantly hides behind the "I legally have no control of my Super PAC" line so applying Romney's own standard, Obama has no connection to or control over a PAC supporting him.

I wouldn't either "hides" behind the PAC's, but neither has control over these PAC's.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

First of all, are you sure paying Limbaugh, at all?  Second, are you sure that someone at Bain called over to Limbaugh and said, "Call Fluke a slut?"

Third, to follow up on your point, Romney certainly doesn't control Bain in 2012.

izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 11:23:16 PM »

To cut through the minutia.

1. None of Maher's statements justify Limbaugh's.

2. None of Limbaugh's statements justify Maher's.

3. Limbaugh was out of line to repeatedly attack a woman for speaking out on the subject of birth control in such a manner. It was deeply offensive and his apology made it clear he doesn't understand the level of how wrong he was to use such an attack.

4. Maher has accepted Limbaugh's apology, which suggests he doesn't understand the level of offense Limbaugh has made.

5. 3 and 4 suggest that both are at some level ignorant twerps.

6. Maher's insults of Palin range from acceptable (calling Palin an idiot), to unacceptable (MILF comments are dumb), to out of bounds (going into family territory).

7. If you don't like Maher's comments, launch a campaign to get him off the air. Else deal.

8. Thanks to that lovely Supreme Court thing, if either Maher or Limbaugh want to give their money to super pacs to destroy their political opponents, then they can. Making it so they can't is a separate issues than who is a bigger jackass.

9. No one working for the Obama campaign can ask the pro-Obama pac to give the money back, to refuse it, or to give it to charity, as that would be a sign of collusion. So Obama can't really do anything to distance himself from Maher in any official capacity, just as Romney or Santorum couldn't do the same. So its kind of a moot point.

10. Finally... shock jocks like Maher and Limbaugh only exist because we pay them attention. If you don't like either one, perhaps you should step away from the one (or ones) on your side and find a source of information that isn't a misogynistic dweeb.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 11:27:06 PM »

To cut through the minutia.

1. None of Maher's statements justify Limbaugh's.

2. None of Limbaugh's statements justify Maher's.

3. Limbaugh was out of line to repeatedly attack a woman for speaking out on the subject of birth control in such a manner. It was deeply offensive and his apology made it clear he doesn't understand the level of how wrong he was to use such an attack.

4. Maher has accepted Limbaugh's apology, which suggests he doesn't understand the level of offense Limbaugh has made.

5. 3 and 4 suggest that both are at some level ignorant twerps.

6. Maher's insults of Palin range from acceptable (calling Palin an idiot), to unacceptable (MILF comments are dumb), to out of bounds (going into family territory).

7. If you don't like Maher's comments, launch a campaign to get him off the air. Else deal.

8. Thanks to that lovely Supreme Court thing, if either Maher or Limbaugh want to give their money to super pacs to destroy their political opponents, then they can. Making it so they can't is a separate issues than who is a bigger jackass.

9. No one working for the Obama campaign can ask the pro-Obama pac to give the money back, to refuse it, or to give it to charity, as that would be a sign of collusion. So Obama can't really do anything to distance himself from Maher in any official capacity, just as Romney or Santorum couldn't do the same. So its kind of a moot point.

10. Finally... shock jocks like Maher and Limbaugh only exist because we pay them attention. If you don't like either one, perhaps you should step away from the one (or ones) on your side and find a source of information that isn't a misogynistic dweeb.

All you're doing is chanting the partisan line. I wish Limbaugh could get away with calling Michelle Obama the things that Maher called Palin. If we lived in that kind of world, the world would be a better place. I'll give you that they only exist for those who pay attention to a degree. Giving money to Obama expands his existence though. Shame on Obama for taking this money. So much for setting a good example. Did you even see the video?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 11:36:24 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2012, 11:44:01 PM by Strange Things Are Happening to Me »

All you're doing is chanting the partisan line. I wish Limbaugh could get away with calling Michelle Obama the things that Maher called Palin. If we lived in that kind of world, the world would be a better place. I'll give you that they only exist for those who pay attention to a degree. Giving money to Obama expands his existence though. Shame on Obama for taking this money. So much for setting a good example. Did you even see the video?

That was seriously the least partisan comment in this whole topic. Did you just look at his state avatar color? Limbaugh can't get away with calling Michelle Obama that because he decides to air his show from 12 PM - 3 PM, Monday through Friday across airwaves that freely broadcast to virtually everyone in the country.

Bill Maher is hosted by HBO, a subscription service whose sole existence is to allow comedians and actors to do and say things that they cannot do on any other network. Bill Maher's show comes on on Friday Nights at 9PM.

Rush Limbaugh literally cannot say the things Bill Maher can, because he chooses a different broadcasting medium (one that is far more profitable, just to clarify). Rush has made his choice and must abide by the regulations of his chosen schedule and affiliates.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 12:24:25 AM »

That was seriously the least partisan comment in this whole topic. Did you just look at his state avatar color? Limbaugh can't get away with calling Michelle Obama that because he decides to air his show from 12 PM - 3 PM, Monday through Friday across airwaves that freely broadcast to virtually everyone in the country.

Bill Maher is hosted by HBO, a subscription service whose sole existence is to allow comedians and actors to do and say things that they cannot do on any other network. Bill Maher's show comes on on Friday Nights at 9PM.

Rush Limbaugh literally cannot say the things Bill Maher can, because he chooses a different broadcasting medium (one that is far more profitable, just to clarify). Rush has made his choice and must abide by the regulations of his chosen schedule and affiliates.

Aside from regulations which wasn't what I was referring to, Bill Maher still said it. If that were Limbaugh at any hour, he'd be off the air or radio. Maher gets a pass from NBC and the liberal media.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 12:32:25 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

But that's all that matters. Limbaugh would be off the air, but only at the hands of the right-wing FEC in the event he said something like that. Although, are the words "c*nt" and "sl*t" really that different?

Rush Limbaugh isn't under any more actual pressure at this point than Bill Maher; the left is calling for Limbaugh to leave and the right is calling for Maher to leave.

Rush Limbaugh knows that he cannot say that. Rush Limbaugh can say what he said about Sandra Fluke and did, and it was no more moral than what Maher said. Rush Limbaugh has no trouble or fear from saying things that are immoral; he simply can't say things that are illegal within the confines of his trade .

It's like saying there's a double standard when you cuss at work and get in trouble because your wife lets you cuss at home.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 12:37:24 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

But that's all that matters. Limbaugh would be off the air, but only at the hands of the right-wing FEC in the event he said something like that. Although, are the words "c*nt" and "sl*t" really that different?

Rush Limbaugh isn't under any more actual pressure at this point than Bill Maher; the left is calling for Limbaugh to leave and the right is calling for Maher to leave.

Rush Limbaugh knows that he cannot say that. Rush Limbaugh can say what he said about Sandra Fluke and did, and it was no more moral than what Maher said. Rush Limbaugh has no trouble or fear from saying things that are immoral; he simply can't say things that are illegal within the confines of his trade .

It's like saying there's a double standard when you cuss at work and get in trouble because your wife lets you cuss at home.

The double standard is in the liberal media. They're not saying anything about regulations and they give you the impression that Rush Limbaugh is a right wing biggot. Meanwhile Maher gets a pass. What Maher said was much more offensive in my take. I'm sure people will see me as bias for thinking so because I'm a conservative. Obama should still give the money back and disassociate himself with Bill Maher but I don't think Obama is experienced enough to do that in order to prevent ads like the one I posted.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies