Obama and Maher (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:51:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama and Maher (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama and Maher  (Read 3809 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: March 14, 2012, 09:51:11 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ISKQD7ytSk

Obama can be the billion dollar man with as much money as he's going to raise and Maher can be the million dollar man. So much for "leading by example." Now the Democrats on this forum can pee their pants over this ad and whine about the GOP. Go!

Are we really going to go down this road? Take a look at the GOP candidates. With the exception of Ron Paul, we have seen the corresponding SuperPACs of these candidates far exceed the spending in primary states when compared to their actual campaigns. The vast majority of money that is being raised and spent by the GOP field is fielded through these PACs.

Obama's campaign is quite the opposite. Besides devising the largest grassroots donation structure in the history of the planet back in 2008, Obama's campaign in 2012 is raising and spending more money than his corresponding SuperPAC. Liberals by and large have resisted donating to Priorities USA because we generally do not like the sentiment of the ruling of Citizens United. Nevertheless, the whole point of Maher's donation was to say essentially, "Stop being pussies and start playing the game".
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:59:41 PM »

Has anybody listened to the context in which Maher called Palin a 'c*nt'? I don't see how it's sexist. If Sarah Palin came out and called Obama a 'd*ckhead', would that be sexist, too?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:36:24 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2012, 11:44:01 PM by Strange Things Are Happening to Me »

All you're doing is chanting the partisan line. I wish Limbaugh could get away with calling Michelle Obama the things that Maher called Palin. If we lived in that kind of world, the world would be a better place. I'll give you that they only exist for those who pay attention to a degree. Giving money to Obama expands his existence though. Shame on Obama for taking this money. So much for setting a good example. Did you even see the video?

That was seriously the least partisan comment in this whole topic. Did you just look at his state avatar color? Limbaugh can't get away with calling Michelle Obama that because he decides to air his show from 12 PM - 3 PM, Monday through Friday across airwaves that freely broadcast to virtually everyone in the country.

Bill Maher is hosted by HBO, a subscription service whose sole existence is to allow comedians and actors to do and say things that they cannot do on any other network. Bill Maher's show comes on on Friday Nights at 9PM.

Rush Limbaugh literally cannot say the things Bill Maher can, because he chooses a different broadcasting medium (one that is far more profitable, just to clarify). Rush has made his choice and must abide by the regulations of his chosen schedule and affiliates.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 12:32:25 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

But that's all that matters. Limbaugh would be off the air, but only at the hands of the right-wing FEC in the event he said something like that. Although, are the words "c*nt" and "sl*t" really that different?

Rush Limbaugh isn't under any more actual pressure at this point than Bill Maher; the left is calling for Limbaugh to leave and the right is calling for Maher to leave.

Rush Limbaugh knows that he cannot say that. Rush Limbaugh can say what he said about Sandra Fluke and did, and it was no more moral than what Maher said. Rush Limbaugh has no trouble or fear from saying things that are immoral; he simply can't say things that are illegal within the confines of his trade .

It's like saying there's a double standard when you cuss at work and get in trouble because your wife lets you cuss at home.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 12:43:31 AM »

The double standard is in the liberal media. They're not saying anything about regulations and they give you the impression that Rush Limbaugh is a right wing biggot. Meanwhile Maher gets a pass. What Maher said was much more offensive in my take. I'm sure people will see me as bias for thinking so because I'm a conservative. Obama should still give the money back and disassociate himself with Bill Maher but I don't think Obama is experienced enough to do that in order to prevent ads like the one I posted.

And the lack of Rush's indictment is apparent in the conservative media. The 'liberals' don't magically own every single news and media outlet. Fox News, the conservative dominion, consistently outranks CNN & MSNBC combined for viewership. Do you know what the most widely circulated newspaper in the country is? The Wall Street Journal. There's plenty of double standards in the conservative media.

You're right about the bias within the separate realms of media. You're wrong about the feeling that the 'liberal media' has an infinitely-larger say over the matter within the overall conservation than the 'conservative media' does in the same regard.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies