Could Obama achieve a positive swing in Pennsyltucky/SW Ohio against Romney?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:12:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Could Obama achieve a positive swing in Pennsyltucky/SW Ohio against Romney?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Could Obama achieve a positive swing in Pennsyltucky/SW Ohio against Romney?  (Read 4139 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 12:40:17 PM »

As for the question, I think Obama can at least win back Greene and Fayette and hold Cambria in a close race, while taking Washington, Beaver, Luzerne, etc. in a better year.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 12:57:21 PM »

There are various reasons why he might, but there's also one big reason he might not. McCain did slightly worse among age 65+ than among the overall population in WV in the 2008 exit poll; I suspect this is the only state where this is the case (though certainly I haven't checked all 50 states right now). And even though of course we don't have detailed data on this, it's at least plausible that this pattern of older Dems, which is very unlike the nation as a whole, extends to neighboring areas given that the main reason for Democratic strength is an economic and social pattern that's dying out.

Suppose that in 2008 you had Grandpa, age 76, and Grandson, age 26, both of them working-class, socially conservative evangelicals, but Grandpa was a retired coal miner who used to go to UMW meetings regularly and attended a small apolitical primitive Baptist church, and Grandson worked in a non-union national chain store and attended a more modern "non-denominational" church, and now Grandson is 30 and works in a slightly higher position in the same store while Grandpa passed away last year. Even if no individuals in the family changed their vote I wouldn't be too optimistic about the D trend.

Good point, of course. Then there's the possibility that even if Grandson isn't involved as many things as likely to push someone towards voting Republican, he'd be much less likely to vote than Grandpa...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies