Ithaca heat wave
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:04:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Ithaca heat wave
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ithaca heat wave  (Read 4150 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:27:58 PM »

I am hesitant to do this, as it is irrelevant to most lives, including mine, as I will be on long Island for the next 10 days, but we're going to see some historic weather-related sh**t in Ithaca.

we already have.  it is like late May here already.  and it gets 'better'.  on Tuesday the 21st we are currently FORECASTED FOR A HIGH OF 90 DEGREES.  ON MARCH.  21ST.  possibly still the technical wintertime... 

to put this in perspective.  the average high in Ithaca on March 21 is 42 degrees.  the previous record high was 72 degrees in 1976. we are forecasted to SHATTER the mean temp by 48 DEGREES and the record high by eighteen.

insane.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:21:02 PM »

We've been hitting the lows 70s lately. Pretty weird but enjoyable. The summer could be interesting.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »

You guys are getting our weather. Let's swap it back please.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »

First off, Tuesday is the 20th. Wednesday is the 21st. Weather.com has a forecast high for Ithica for the 20th as 66 and the 21st as 69. Nowhere near 90. Lay off the Mormon crackpipe.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:29:49 PM »

chill out kid.  I was wrong Tuesday = Wednesday.  here.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=14850&wuSelect=WEATHER

exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 10:54:36 PM »

It's been in the mid eighties here for the past week or so. I'm not looking forward to Summer.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 11:09:01 PM »

We've broke 80 the last two days here in Chicago. The average high would be 47, and the old records were in the 70's.

The bad news is that most buildings here aren't ready to turn on AC. The high school auditorium I was in this evening was sweltering.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »

We've broke 80 the last two days here in Chicago. The average high would be 47, and the old records were in the 70's.

The bad news is that most buildings here aren't ready to turn on AC. The high school auditorium I was in this evening was sweltering.

What must one do to get a building "ready" to turn on AC?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:36:55 AM »

in the public sector?  God only knows.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:03:46 AM »

It's regularly been in the high 70s here in Atlanta and sometimes in the low 80s. This is the warmest winter that I can remember, and I've regularly had to use my AC. If this keeps up summer is going to be miserable and my electric bill will be through the roof.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:10:57 AM »

Are you kidding? Plenty goes into it. BushOK has been getting ready since late November!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 11:13:34 AM »

Temps are very "hot" too here at the moment. Today it was about 70°F (20-21°C) and for the weekend it could reach 75°F (23-24°C).

Usually it has only 10-15°C in March. The snow is melting pretty fast and we had a ton of snow.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »

lol it's been like 70-low 80s where i live to. Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »

It's been cold and wet for the last week; we got some hail today for a couple minutes, which was very exciting for my brother.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 09:16:28 PM »

It's not just a problem in the public sector. My wife works in a private office building that would have been costly to switch from heating to cooling and back again when the normal temps return, so they baked in their cubicles this week.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »

It's not just a problem in the public sector. My wife works in a private office building that would have been costly to switch from heating to cooling and back again when the normal temps return, so they baked in their cubicles this week.
Not trying to be difficult, but what's the problem with climate control? We don't seem to have this problem where I live. When it's cold, there's heat. When it's hot, there's A/C. Consistently. It's expected just as much as electric lights and running water. Any private office building that didn't make sure it maintained such basic utilities would soon find itself without tenants.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 10:30:21 PM »

Weather.com isn't predicting anything over 72 degrees.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 10:34:06 PM »

It's been snowing here on-and-off for the last two weeks. Hooray...
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 06:29:11 AM »

Not trying to be difficult, but what's the problem with climate control? We don't seem to have this problem where I live. When it's cold, there's heat. When it's hot, there's A/C. Consistently. It's expected just as much as electric lights and running water. Any private office building that didn't make sure it maintained such basic utilities would soon find itself without tenants.

You may be in an area where heat pumps are common for commercial buildings, and they are relatively easy to reverse. In my area they are rare and heating and cooling is usually done with separate boilers and chillers. If they use a common water reservoir there is considerable time and expense to shift the temperature of the circulating water from one side of room temperature to the other.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 08:13:11 AM »

was my sense of humor bro.  I can see how writing 200 papers on "The Functionaility of 1.8v close circuitry in a sub atomic mirrored MUON (2005)" would sap yours, though not saying this is necessarily the case.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 04:13:43 PM »

was my sense of humor bro.  I can see how writing 200 papers on "The Functionaility of 1.8v close circuitry in a sub atomic mirrored MUON (2005)" would sap yours, though not saying this is necessarily the case.

Smiley

In other news we hit 80 for the fifth straight day and the fifth straight record. Chicago has never hit 80 this early and has never had two days in a row over eighty earlier than April.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 06:48:52 PM »

You may be in an area where heat pumps are common for commercial buildings, and they are relatively easy to reverse. In my area they are rare and heating and cooling is usually done with separate boilers and chillers. If they use a common water reservoir there is considerable time and expense to shift the temperature of the circulating water from one side of room temperature to the other.
Your buildings are built in a way that makes it difficult to switch between heat and AC? I know that it's not usually so warm this early, but anywhere in the nation's interior, there's always a transition time when you'd need to switch back and forth a few times each fall/spring. You guys suffer with uncomfortable interiors twice a year due to cheap/obsolete/whatever construction? That's really lame.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 07:11:30 PM »

Your buildings are built in a way that makes it difficult to switch between heat and AC? I know that it's not usually so warm this early, but anywhere in the nation's interior, there's always a transition time when you'd need to switch back and forth a few times each fall/spring. You guys suffer with uncomfortable interiors twice a year due to cheap/obsolete/whatever construction? That's really lame.

Given the usual cold temps here in the winter, a commercial-sized system that's easy to switch would usually be more expensive up here. This is an unprecedented event. Generally the building techs schedule the switchover on some weekend months in advance. In the aforementioned office, they did switch by Friday given that the forecast called for continued record warmth through the beginning of next week.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 09:29:54 PM »

wicked hot here as well.  Over 80 for three straight days.  I'm lovin' it.  I suppose that the average is in the 40s.  Who knows?  All I know is that I cannot remember any year, in the five years that we have lived here, that we could do so much outside during spring break.  There's one little pile of snow remaining in one parking lot, about a mile from my house.  A month ago it was 20 feet tall.  Now it's just a little bump of black ice trickling away, making a daily stream from itself to the nearest drain.

We actually planted tomatoes, jalapeños, Thai chiles, and cucumbers today, even though the package says that we should plant in "Late May/Early June" in our area.  We have a little 8x8 foot plot where we have planted stuff every summer.  These may get frosted.  There's a good chance that they well, in fact, but we started our garden anyway.  Just for fun.  I even let the boy get his little watertoys out today, and get all wet.  Can you imagine that?  A week of winter left, technically, and we're out planting fruit and playing with they water hose. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 12:48:13 AM »

High 70s predicted for here tomorrow. It's still winter.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies