Ithaca heat wave (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:54:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Ithaca heat wave (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ithaca heat wave  (Read 4219 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: March 15, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »

First off, Tuesday is the 20th. Wednesday is the 21st. Weather.com has a forecast high for Ithica for the 20th as 66 and the 21st as 69. Nowhere near 90. Lay off the Mormon crackpipe.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »

We've broke 80 the last two days here in Chicago. The average high would be 47, and the old records were in the 70's.

The bad news is that most buildings here aren't ready to turn on AC. The high school auditorium I was in this evening was sweltering.

What must one do to get a building "ready" to turn on AC?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »

We've broke 80 the last two days here in Chicago. The average high would be 47, and the old records were in the 70's.

The bad news is that most buildings here aren't ready to turn on AC. The high school auditorium I was in this evening was sweltering.

in the public sector?  God only knows.

It's not just a problem in the public sector. My wife works in a private office building that would have been costly to switch from heating to cooling and back again when the normal temps return, so they baked in their cubicles this week.
Not trying to be difficult, but what's the problem with climate control? We don't seem to have this problem where I live. When it's cold, there's heat. When it's hot, there's A/C. Consistently. It's expected just as much as electric lights and running water. Any private office building that didn't make sure it maintained such basic utilities would soon find itself without tenants.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:48:52 PM »

in the public sector?  God only knows.

It's not just a problem in the public sector. My wife works in a private office building that would have been costly to switch from heating to cooling and back again when the normal temps return, so they baked in their cubicles this week.
Not trying to be difficult, but what's the problem with climate control? We don't seem to have this problem where I live. When it's cold, there's heat. When it's hot, there's A/C. Consistently. It's expected just as much as electric lights and running water. Any private office building that didn't make sure it maintained such basic utilities would soon find itself without tenants.

You may be in an area where heat pumps are common for commercial buildings, and they are relatively easy to reverse. In my area they are rare and heating and cooling is usually done with separate boilers and chillers. If they use a common water reservoir there is considerable time and expense to shift the temperature of the circulating water from one side of room temperature to the other.
Your buildings are built in a way that makes it difficult to switch between heat and AC? I know that it's not usually so warm this early, but anywhere in the nation's interior, there's always a transition time when you'd need to switch back and forth a few times each fall/spring. You guys suffer with uncomfortable interiors twice a year due to cheap/obsolete/whatever construction? That's really lame.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies