Ithaca heat wave (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:17:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Ithaca heat wave (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ithaca heat wave  (Read 4220 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: March 15, 2012, 11:09:01 PM »

We've broke 80 the last two days here in Chicago. The average high would be 47, and the old records were in the 70's.

The bad news is that most buildings here aren't ready to turn on AC. The high school auditorium I was in this evening was sweltering.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 09:16:28 PM »

We've broke 80 the last two days here in Chicago. The average high would be 47, and the old records were in the 70's.

The bad news is that most buildings here aren't ready to turn on AC. The high school auditorium I was in this evening was sweltering.

What must one do to get a building "ready" to turn on AC?

in the public sector?  God only knows.

It's not just a problem in the public sector. My wife works in a private office building that would have been costly to switch from heating to cooling and back again when the normal temps return, so they baked in their cubicles this week.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:29:11 AM »

It's not just a problem in the public sector. My wife works in a private office building that would have been costly to switch from heating to cooling and back again when the normal temps return, so they baked in their cubicles this week.
Not trying to be difficult, but what's the problem with climate control? We don't seem to have this problem where I live. When it's cold, there's heat. When it's hot, there's A/C. Consistently. It's expected just as much as electric lights and running water. Any private office building that didn't make sure it maintained such basic utilities would soon find itself without tenants.

You may be in an area where heat pumps are common for commercial buildings, and they are relatively easy to reverse. In my area they are rare and heating and cooling is usually done with separate boilers and chillers. If they use a common water reservoir there is considerable time and expense to shift the temperature of the circulating water from one side of room temperature to the other.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 04:13:43 PM »

was my sense of humor bro.  I can see how writing 200 papers on "The Functionaility of 1.8v close circuitry in a sub atomic mirrored MUON (2005)" would sap yours, though not saying this is necessarily the case.

Smiley

In other news we hit 80 for the fifth straight day and the fifth straight record. Chicago has never hit 80 this early and has never had two days in a row over eighty earlier than April.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:11:30 PM »

Not trying to be difficult, but what's the problem with climate control? We don't seem to have this problem where I live. When it's cold, there's heat. When it's hot, there's A/C. Consistently. It's expected just as much as electric lights and running water. Any private office building that didn't make sure it maintained such basic utilities would soon find itself without tenants.

You may be in an area where heat pumps are common for commercial buildings, and they are relatively easy to reverse. In my area they are rare and heating and cooling is usually done with separate boilers and chillers. If they use a common water reservoir there is considerable time and expense to shift the temperature of the circulating water from one side of room temperature to the other.
Your buildings are built in a way that makes it difficult to switch between heat and AC? I know that it's not usually so warm this early, but anywhere in the nation's interior, there's always a transition time when you'd need to switch back and forth a few times each fall/spring. You guys suffer with uncomfortable interiors twice a year due to cheap/obsolete/whatever construction? That's really lame.

Given the usual cold temps here in the winter, a commercial-sized system that's easy to switch would usually be more expensive up here. This is an unprecedented event. Generally the building techs schedule the switchover on some weekend months in advance. In the aforementioned office, they did switch by Friday given that the forecast called for continued record warmth through the beginning of next week.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 06:41:28 AM »

Monday in Chicago merely tied the record of 78, so it was the first day that didn't break 80 since last Wednesday. I was in Peoria, and it was up to 80 there.

It's been a wacky winter.  If this keeps up, it'll be a wacky spring and summer.

Mar 14 & 15, 1995 held the record highs priors to this year, and foreshadowed the killing heat of July 1995. I hope this year is not similar.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 05:25:40 PM »

Back to another record day over 80. And there's a new twist, we don't get many fire warnings in northern IL, and certainly not in March, but this afternoon the NWS issued this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »

I finally saw some rain today. It didn't stop it from reaching a record high for the 8th day in a row (counting Monday's tie). This should be the last record day based on the forecast. Then we return to merely above average temps.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 04:35:53 PM »

Here's a final official memory of March 2012 as recorded by NOAA. The nine consecutive records are unmatched, with the closest string being 6 days in Aug-Sep 1953. Note the number of record high minimum temperatures as well.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies