Santorum says his 12 year old will out-reason Bill Maher..........
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:54:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum says his 12 year old will out-reason Bill Maher..........
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Santorum says his 12 year old will out-reason Bill Maher..........  (Read 5692 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »
« edited: March 15, 2012, 09:17:33 PM by SANTORUM TO DEMS: VOTE FOR ME. YOU KNOW OBAMA WILL CRUSH ME. »

..........when it comes to understanding how logic works.

Fox News interview following Maher's criticism of home schooling.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/13/santorum-rails-against-maher-on-christian-madrassa-comment/

The candidate then argued his son, one of seven children, could take on Maher.

"Our children will out-reason him. My 12 year-old will out-reason Bill Maher when it comes to understanding how logic works, 'cause (Maher) is completely illogical," Santorum said.

Now, I will have to say that I believe Maher is a low life, and that I do not have major objections to home schooling if that's what the parents choose, but a 12 year, even a Santorum 12 year old, out-reasoning Maher?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:14:08 PM »

Bill Maher is an arrogant, smug, egomanical jackass.  He also has some weird pseudoscience obsession with "nature" that ends up conflicting pretty hard with his atheism in terms of showing that he's perfectly willing to believe illogical nonsense.  That said, I'm fully confident that he could outtalk a twelve year old.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:15:22 PM »

I would hope he could outreason Bill Maher. He probably can do so without using profanity too.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »

I'd pay to see that.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:20:59 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2012, 09:23:48 PM by Strange Things Are Happening to Me »

Now that Santorum's officially calling out specific children and bringing them into the campaign, do we get to start making fun of them again?

In all seriousness, Bill Maher is not the most logical man; I find at least one flaw in his method of thinking every week. With that being said, I think Rick Santorum is placing a little too much faith in his (most likely) religious-oriented homeschool. I don't care how many degrees him and his wife have in between the two of them, dividing your sub-par teaching skills among that many children on a variety of different learning curves can't amount to much. Logos, pathos and ethos doesn't derive from the Bible.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 09:21:56 PM »

I hate Bill Maher with an undying passion.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:22:14 PM »

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/13/santorum-rails-against-maher-on-christian-madrassa-comment/

Now, I will have to say that I believe Maher is a low life, and that I do not have major objections to home schooling if that's what the parents choose, but a 12 year, even a Santorum 12 year old, out-reasoning Maher?

Well, we are talking about Maher.
ajb
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 09:23:19 PM »

Bill Maher is a fool, no question. Or at least he plays one on TV. But having Maher debate Rick Santorum's 12 year old son sounds like... a Bill Maher stunt.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:25:55 PM »

Maher is a talk show host, and the typical strategy of talk show hosts when faced with someone who could conceivably "out-reason" them is to yell over them and then hang up/cut away.  No-win situation.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 09:28:34 PM »

Maher is obviously much more successful than and almost definitely has a higher IQ than anyone who has posted in this thread. Just sayin'.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 09:30:21 PM »

I was under the impression that I.Q. is racist.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:32:32 PM »

Bill Maher is an arrogant, smug, egomanical jackass.  He also has some weird pseudoscience obsession with "nature" that ends up conflicting pretty hard with his atheism in terms of showing that he's perfectly willing to believe illogical nonsense.  That said, I'm fully confident that he could outtalk a twelve year old.

Didn't he support SOPA, too?
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »

Memo to the kid:

Just play rope-a-dope. Maher will trip himself up.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 10:26:35 PM »

Now that Santorum's officially calling out specific children and bringing them into the campaign, do we get to start making fun of them again?

In all seriousness, Bill Maher is not the most logical man; I find at least one flaw in his method of thinking every week. With that being said, I think Rick Santorum is placing a little too much faith in his (most likely) religious-oriented homeschool. I don't care how many degrees him and his wife have in between the two of them, dividing your sub-par teaching skills among that many children on a variety of different learning curves can't amount to much. Logos, pathos and ethos doesn't derive from the Bible.

If a politician exploits their children for political gain, then they are fair game. Politicians should know better. Chelsea Clinton became fair game in 2008 when she pranced around with Hillary.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 10:28:03 PM »

Yes he does. Makes him a hypocrite, in my books. I do enjoy his show, however.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 10:32:24 PM »

Did anyone see the Family Guy episode with him where Brian writes a Book? "Want it, Wish it, Do it."

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 10:45:15 PM »

I really don't understand the GOP's obsession with Bill Maher as a standard-bearer of the left. He's not, never has been, and will never be such a person, with his comments on Arabs, vaccines, and women. Why is he being treated as the Democrat answer to Rush Limbaugh? If anyone's as popular with Dems as Rush (who was made an honorary congressman back in 1994 by the GOP) is with the Republicans, it's Jon Stewart.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 10:52:02 PM »

I really don't understand the GOP's obsession with Bill Maher as a standard-bearer of the left. He's not, never has been, and will never be such a person, with his comments on Arabs, vaccines, and women. Why is he being treated as the Democrat answer to Rush Limbaugh? If anyone's as popular with Dems as Rush (who was made an honorary congressman back in 1994 by the GOP) is with the Republicans, it's Jon Stewart.

This is correct. We have no standard bearer as "liberal" causes are a lot more fractured than "conservative" ones and as a result, entertainers, personalities and media outlets that cater to the demographic are also more divided.

Bill Maher is perhaps the Rush Limbaugh of the anti-God sect of liberals that care mostly about the removal of religion from society and politics.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 12:41:51 AM »

Is attacking Bill Maher the new flavor of the month?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 12:51:09 AM »

..........when it comes to understanding how logic works.

The candidate then argued his son, one of seven children, could take on Maher.

"Our children will out-reason him. My 12 year-old will out-reason Bill Maher when it comes to understanding how logic works, 'cause (Maher) is completely illogical," Santorum said.

Well, equating homeschooling with "madrassa" sets a very low bar for Santorum's son.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 12:57:18 AM »

Pray tell what us exactly what the quality of education Santorum's children have received, and, how exactly you know it? For instance, how well did they score of their SATs or ACTs, etc? I believe that you are belittling their education because you have an ideological axe to grind against home-schooling that simply isn't based on either fact or reason.

BigSkyBob

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 12:58:27 AM »

Maher is obviously much more successful than and almost definitely has a higher IQ than anyone who has posted in this thread. Just sayin'.

No.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 01:02:17 AM »

Again, it is the million dollar donation. If in addition to mysogynistic language Maher has made statements about "Arabs," and "vaccines" that are offensive, it would behoove Obama even more to denounce Maher's donation to his superpac.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 01:23:15 AM »

Pray tell what us exactly what the quality of education Santorum's children have received, and, how exactly you know it? For instance, how well did they score of their SATs or ACTs, etc? I believe that you are belittling their education because you have an ideological axe to grind against home-schooling that simply isn't based on either fact or reason.

It's equal parts inference and cynicism, and you're also looking at it from the wrong viewpoint. I'm not necessarily saying that his childrens' education is poor or that they are uneducated. I'm sure his children have access to some of the best homeschooling options out there. Rather, I'm saying that his children's education is probably not as excellent as he may perceive it. Even if it were as you might put it, "an education to my liking", making the proclamation that your 12 year-old son is more prepared to debate an adult who has been doing the same thing for ~20 years is either:

a) Red meat for the base that he knows he'll never have to see proven
b) Delusional

However, let's look at it from the other perspective. Rick Santorum doesn't just champion the idea of homeschooling. I have no issue with homeschooling (at least in being a choice), but he actually wants to take it a step further and abolish public education. Public education may not be the best individual solution out there, but it's the best solution when it comes to balancing cost and effectiveness. Not everybody can afford the level of private education that Santorum can and not everyone is suited to educate their children in a way that is positive to their development, but he sells it to the poor huddled masses as if that's not the case. This is where my cynicism comes into the picture.

There is absolutely no way the private sector can provide equivalent educational services at the same or cheaper cost because the government - through progressive taxation - turns what would be a hemorrhaging business venture into a sustainable entity. The result of this fantasy of Santorum's is an educational system where you simply would not be able to afford the same amount of education your children are guaranteed today. Taxes on this work just like Social Security, except it's kids instead of seniors. You have a 2:1 ratio, where roughly two adult taxpayers are subsidizing every one child's education. Privatize it, and families will be carrying their own weight at a 1:1, 1:2, 1:3 ratio. Have no doubt there would be "affordable" solutions, but they will not be worth it.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 01:32:17 AM »

I don't watch his show or anything, but he strikes me as one of those latte liberal types who aren't really that progressive, but seem that way to Americans for some reason.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies