thoughts on washing hats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:15:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  thoughts on washing hats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: thoughts on washing hats  (Read 2497 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:05:06 AM »

as a kid I really loved baseball.  now it's just part of the furniture of my life, I'm not really sure if I like it anymore, but I do understand it and it speaks to me so I keep up with it.  I've referred to it as a 'medium of existence'.  there was a Boris post in early Oct 2011, I think it was Oct 1 or Sept 30 maybe, when Kelly Shoppach went OFF vs Texas in the ALDS, about how it's nice when things get "uncomfortable or awkward" or something, how it's nice to be able to temporarily slip into a world where Kelly Shoppach has two home runs and six runs batted in.  which is the same idea, in Borist rather than Tweedist phraseology.

and so, some baseball players are mad superstitious about their hats.  some don't give a flying sh**t, but some never wash their hats, go years without it, even intentionally dirtying their caps with pine tar and dirt and saliva and so on.  Steve Kline was notorious for this.

and so I took to not washing my hats.  even when my grandmother, may she rest in peace June 1 2010, purchased me a special device that preserved the hat through a run in the dishwasher.  I gave her a few 'courtesy hats' as to not offend her, but made sure not to wash the hats I really liked wearing (and thus the dirtiest).

so now I'm 21, no longer a kid, don't wear caps that much anymore since I saw that Tequila commercial with the "someone to aspire to in your alcoholism" dude as my mother put it, talked about how guys "prance around in shorts and baseball caps like boys", that and the influence of my friend Patrick who puts mousse in his hair and dresses nicely and even shaves daily after his internship at GE Capital.  but occasionally I do wear a hat, when my hair gets long and unruly, which is now the case as I am out of shampoo and have been for a week, typically my Quebec Nordiques hat, which is white in the front.  and it is dirtied, and I am wondering, should I wash this hat?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »

I don't wash mine, but sometimes the wife steals one and washes it.  It's amazing how much crap a cap will absorb over time.  I recall a time when I had a particularly dirty one, she washed it and it weighed noticeably less.  Was kind of creepy.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 08:23:10 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2012, 08:27:20 AM by Hatman »

FF, I have one too! Although, it's blue.

Surely it's meaningless to wear it in the US? When I wear mine I get comments all the time, of course. (usually in French, which is awkward because I can't speak it well) I also notice a lot of people wearing Montreal Expos stuff, especially Black people. I'm not sure why.

Also, the other day I was on the bus, and there was someone with a Hartford Whalers hat in one seat and someone with an Atlanta Flames hat in another. Bizarre.

ETA: Me and my hat:
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 08:33:33 AM »

I rarely get comments but when I do it's an instant bond.  and I have multiple times.  this is operating within the framework of policies hashed out in my 'Developing Social Signals in a Low Compatibility Universe' sub-entry in my eDiary on November 1 2009:

Developing Social Signals in a Low Compatibility Universe

ideal social signal reaches a lot of people, illicits high chance of reaction from those likely to be compatible.

Facebook is useful for this.  marketing me is a weird concept but I think it represents a good chance of not being alone in this, which is, for some reason, what I want.

Intelligent conversation in party setting is good idea.  perhaps not great.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »

I only wear fishing hats, as I call them.  Definitely not 'ball caps'.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 12:31:36 PM »

I wear hats like people wear underwear and socks. (Only sports ball caps though.)

I never, ever, ever wash my hats. LIKE EVER.

Although, them getting dirty don't seem much of an issue since my hats have an average life span of about 2-3 years max before I give them away or throw them out to buy new ones.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 12:36:51 PM »

I wear hats like people wear underwear and socks. (Only sports ball caps though.)

Um.. you mean you never ever wash your underwear and socks either?

I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 12:39:57 PM »

Um.. you mean you never ever wash your underwear and socks either?

No lol I wash my underwear and socks.

I meant to say that I wear my hats almost everyday (like people wearing underwear and socks everyday)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 07:32:38 PM »

The only hats I wear are a fedora and a Samuel L. Jackson-style hat I bought on a whim in Albuquerque one time.  I own a few beanies too but they always look stupid on me.  Baseball hats are too bro/redneck.

So in summation, I don't wash my hats, and I didn't even read the OP.  You're welcome.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »

My dad always wears a cap. That way nobody knows he's bald Roll Eyes And he always matches to the shirt he's wearing. Blue shirt, blue hat etc.  It's the dad look. Wonder if he washes them. Never really thought about it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 10:24:47 PM »

Tim Lincecum had the World Series patch placed on his regular hat in 2010.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 03:08:29 AM »

If I were you I would focus on washing my hair first. That's borderline disgusting Haha.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 07:54:12 AM »

it's been washed many times since.  I actually have not had a drink since the bout in which I wrote the OP: working on my 18th day, most since June 2010.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 09:03:27 AM »

I wash my clothes, yes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies