thoughts on washing hats (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:45:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  thoughts on washing hats (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: thoughts on washing hats  (Read 2514 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 16, 2012, 06:05:06 AM »

as a kid I really loved baseball.  now it's just part of the furniture of my life, I'm not really sure if I like it anymore, but I do understand it and it speaks to me so I keep up with it.  I've referred to it as a 'medium of existence'.  there was a Boris post in early Oct 2011, I think it was Oct 1 or Sept 30 maybe, when Kelly Shoppach went OFF vs Texas in the ALDS, about how it's nice when things get "uncomfortable or awkward" or something, how it's nice to be able to temporarily slip into a world where Kelly Shoppach has two home runs and six runs batted in.  which is the same idea, in Borist rather than Tweedist phraseology.

and so, some baseball players are mad superstitious about their hats.  some don't give a flying sh**t, but some never wash their hats, go years without it, even intentionally dirtying their caps with pine tar and dirt and saliva and so on.  Steve Kline was notorious for this.

and so I took to not washing my hats.  even when my grandmother, may she rest in peace June 1 2010, purchased me a special device that preserved the hat through a run in the dishwasher.  I gave her a few 'courtesy hats' as to not offend her, but made sure not to wash the hats I really liked wearing (and thus the dirtiest).

so now I'm 21, no longer a kid, don't wear caps that much anymore since I saw that Tequila commercial with the "someone to aspire to in your alcoholism" dude as my mother put it, talked about how guys "prance around in shorts and baseball caps like boys", that and the influence of my friend Patrick who puts mousse in his hair and dresses nicely and even shaves daily after his internship at GE Capital.  but occasionally I do wear a hat, when my hair gets long and unruly, which is now the case as I am out of shampoo and have been for a week, typically my Quebec Nordiques hat, which is white in the front.  and it is dirtied, and I am wondering, should I wash this hat?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:33:33 AM »

I rarely get comments but when I do it's an instant bond.  and I have multiple times.  this is operating within the framework of policies hashed out in my 'Developing Social Signals in a Low Compatibility Universe' sub-entry in my eDiary on November 1 2009:

Developing Social Signals in a Low Compatibility Universe

ideal social signal reaches a lot of people, illicits high chance of reaction from those likely to be compatible.

Facebook is useful for this.  marketing me is a weird concept but I think it represents a good chance of not being alone in this, which is, for some reason, what I want.

Intelligent conversation in party setting is good idea.  perhaps not great.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:54:12 AM »

it's been washed many times since.  I actually have not had a drink since the bout in which I wrote the OP: working on my 18th day, most since June 2010.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies