The GOP War on Women - The Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:45:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The GOP War on Women - The Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The GOP War on Women - The Megathread  (Read 25986 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: January 04, 2014, 09:24:57 PM »

This is like saying Fred Phelps is a Democrat...it's true on the surface, but it doesn't represent the party whatsoever.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 10:01:33 PM »

What else is suggested by posting a link like that in the thread entitled 'The GOP War on Women'? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I legitimately can't tell.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:54:28 PM »

What else is suggested by posting a link like that in the thread entitled 'The GOP War on Women'? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I legitimately can't tell.
The guy is a batterer.  He beats his wife.  He's running as a Republican and trying to play the unapologetic for being a piece of sh**t card.

Phelps did something similar in Kansas Democratic primaries in the 1990s -- it didn't work then and it won't work now. Besides, I'm quite confident that he isn't about to get much support from other Republicans:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's another example of self described Republicans treating women badly... and there is a lot of recent, valid precedent in that category.

Can't think of anyone who comes even close to this guy -- in fact the only person I can think of who 'treated women badly' is desJarlais (though you're welcome to correct me if there're more examples, I suppose). Certainly some Republicans have voiced some pretty horrible views (Akin comes to mind as a particularly egregious, prominent example), but I don't think many have actually assaulted women like this guy.

How is comparing someone to Fred Phelps defense? I'm defending the Maine GOP, but surely you can tell it would be gross lying to call the Maine GOP 'wife-beaters'.

And get rid of these people in your party.

If someone told me how, I'd go do it right now.

We don't want Fred Phelps in our party.

We don't want Erick Bennett in our party either. Have you read the article?

And the way we prove he's not really a Democrat is by treating LGBTs with respect and dignity and equity.

The thing is, in the US, self-identification is what determines what party you're in. If Phelps says he's a Democrat, he is. But, you're right in the broader sense that he is far out of step with the remainder of the party and has no chance of being nominated or elected to anything, ever. This guy is the same way (except less notorious).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies