A year from now, who will already be tipping a 2016 run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:30:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  A year from now, who will already be tipping a 2016 run?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A year from now, who will already be tipping a 2016 run?  (Read 6686 times)
Bull Moose Base

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2012, 07:28:20 PM »

Meaning who will act like a presidential candidate/be pushing themselves into the conversation with  schedule, media activity, or language choices etc.?  The way Romney and Pawlenty did in 2009.  Assume an Obama re-election to open up both sides.

I'd peg Martin O'Malley, Mark Warner, Kirsten Gillibrand, Brian Schweitzer and Joe Biden on the D side.  Andrew Cuomo and Hillary Clinton, who will get plenty of speculation without doing anything, strike me as more likely to bide their time.

On the Republican side, I think Santorum, McDonnell, maybe Jindal.  Christie, if he runs for re-election, will presumably be coy until that happens.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 07:59:34 PM »

John Hickenlooper and Amy Klobuchar will be mentioned in a few places. Who amazingly popular politicians in their states.

Oh, and Scott Walker as the mandatory 'controversial' candidate for the GOP.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2012, 10:38:52 PM by Mr. Morden »

Christie, if he runs for re-election, will presumably be coy until that happens.

A huge part of the tea leaf reading will be about whether Christie does in fact run for reelection.  If he runs for reelection, does he have to try position himself more to the center in order to win, in a way that would preclude a 2016 race for the GOP presidential nomination?  If he doesn't run for reelection, does that mean he's running for president, a la Romney's retirement after one term as MA governor?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 10:22:56 PM »

Christie, if he runs for re-election, will presumably be coy until that happens.

A huge part of the tea lead reading will be about whether Christie does in fact run for reelection.  If he runs for reelection, does he have to try position himself more to the center in order to win, in a way that would preclude a 2016 race for the GOP presidential nomination?  If he doesn't run for reelection, does that mean he's running for president, a la Romney's retirement after one term as MA governor?

If Christie doesn't run, I don't think there's any serious way to interpret it besides a presidential run.  Unless I guess his approval plummets to an unlikely place.  And even if he does run in NJ, yeah, I'd say anything other than straight ahead playing for the center tips interest in a run for president.  Because of the difficult balancing act of a Republican trying to get elected in a Blue State (and maybe against the impressive Cory Booker) while also trying to preserve acceptability to the GOP base for a pres. run, I half-expect Christie won't run again unless he finds himself with strong approvals.  But I also think after the media crush on him this cycle, Christie is probably confident enough in the media and donor interest in him, that he won't feel the need to go to New Hampshire every month of 2013 or similar moves early.  As opposed to someone like Bob McDonnell (unless he's Romney's running mate), who may feel a need to play catch-up or remind people about him.

I also could see if they intend to run, Santorum and Biden, despite have the specific status that on paper or historically would position them as a 2016 frontrunner, making more aggressive hints of a run out of insecurity about the media writing them off, in favor of a trendier alternative.  Biden already has actually.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 10:45:14 PM »

Jindal, McDonnell, O'Malley, and Schweitzer are all term-limited, aren't they?  I guess that means they'll probably run for president, since they'll have nothing else to do.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 11:43:01 PM »

Jindal, McDonnell, O'Malley, and Schweitzer are all term-limited, aren't they?  I guess that means they'll probably run for president, since they'll have nothing else to do.

Just found this from last summer.  Schweitzer doesn't sound like he genuinely lacks interest in running but might be scared off a run by his own gun.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_89fe08a0-5e1b-5624-916a-f8f7eda57535.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 11:53:37 PM »

If Obama wins, McDonnell has his eye on Warner's Senate seat--not the White House.

I imagine that Sarah Palin would jump back into the picture...when was the last time we heard anything about her?

Tim Pawlenty wasn't relevent in 2012, he'll be even more irrelevent in 2016.  Doubt he runs.

Even though he won't actually be doing anything presidential-like, the press will be obsessed with Marco Rubio.

Mitt Romney will finally give-up and go from "millionare running for President" to "millionaire with nothing to do".

Since the Paultards will not have someone to drool over, they will move on to Gary Johnson or (less likely) Rand Paul.

Bobby Jindal has ceased to be a national-player ever since the BP spill.  Doubt he's able to recapture the spotlight.

It won't take long for the talking heads at RedState or Rush Limbaugh to discover that Christie is a RINO-in-disguise.  He'll get torn apart.  He's the Mitt Romney of 2016.  

The Bush name will still be toxic enough to guarantee that Jeb stays out.

And Rick Perry will still be reeling from his embaressing loss in the 2014 Texas gubernatorial GOP primary.

So...we're basically at square one.  With a bunch of no-names:  Kelly Ayotte, Mary Fallin and Paul Ryan trying to get some attention...
Lemon flavoured
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 07:21:37 AM »

I doubt Biden will run, he's too old, although some people do keep mentioning him.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 02:04:56 PM »

Deval Patrick?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 02:15:41 PM »

Dems: Schweitzer if he can be convinced, O'Malley is all but certain.

GOP: Christie and Jindal- McDonnell will be running against Warner if Obama wins. Dunno who else, probably not a member of the Class of 2010.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »

McDonnell could very well run if he's Romney's losing VP; if he runs in 2016 he'd probably stay away from Warner in 2014, guaranteeing his reelection.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »

I think Biden will hint and that's it. I'm pretty sure he knows that he's too old.

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 09:07:53 PM »

For the Dems: Biden, Warner, Kaine, Cuomo, Patrick, and the current Montana governor.

The GOP: Christie (the Rockefeller/Establishment moderate favorite), Huntsman (insurgent populist moderates),Mike Pence (a favorite amongst Social Conservatives and some Tea Party groups), Cain (yes I think Herman Cain may jump in), Haley (likely) or Palin (a shot in the dark),

RE: the class of 2010,

Rubio and Paul are probable running mates for Romney (though I pray we have a floor fight)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 05:23:28 AM »

So I just read that Cuomo is divorced and never remarried, but has a live-in girlfriend in his NYC-area house (though Cuomo obviously spends more time in Albany these days).  Not sure how that'll impact his presidential hopes.  Obviously, if he's interested in the White House, he should get married.  Tongue

Also, 2016 Iowa watch is already starting, with Rand Paul and Ken Cuccinelli making the trip there next month:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/03/watch-rand-cuccinelli-to-iowa-119044.html
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 07:21:08 AM »

I still think 2016 is looking fantastic for GOP prospects. Remember too, you can't look at 2016 the same way you look at 2012. Obama won't be running again, and the Democratic field is remarkably weaker than possibly any Democratic field since 1984.

Vice President Biden - He's all but said he'll probably run, and I think he will. The problem is, unlike the Republicans who score a string of victories over the course of decades without refreshing (Eisenhower in the 50s had VP Nixon who was Pres in the 70s, George Bush was a G-Man in the 70s, President in the 90s which lead to his son being President from 2001-2009, ect) Democrats tend to constantly jump from one to another. VP = Gov of Mass = Gov of Arkansas = VP = Senator from Mass = Senator from Illinois, ect. My guess is Biden will have difficulty. Plus, incumbent Vice Presidents tend to lose elections. Nixon, Humphrey, Gore, ect or never make it there themselves, IE Barkley, Quayle.

Secretary of State Clinton - The worst fear of mine would be eight years of Obama followed by eight years of Hillary Clinton. Luckily, the likelihood of this occurring is very slim as the Democrats are reluctant to nominate older nominees.

To be honest...I think that Martin O'Malley or Andrew Cuomo look like safe bets.

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »

I still think 2016 is looking fantastic for GOP prospects. Remember too, you can't look at 2016 the same way you look at 2012. Obama won't be running again, and the Democratic field is remarkably weaker than possibly any Democratic field since 1984.

Vice President Biden - He's all but said he'll probably run, and I think he will. The problem is, unlike the Republicans who score a string of victories over the course of decades without refreshing (Eisenhower in the 50s had VP Nixon who was Pres in the 70s, George Bush was a G-Man in the 70s, President in the 90s which lead to his son being President from 2001-2009, ect) Democrats tend to constantly jump from one to another. VP = Gov of Mass = Gov of Arkansas = VP = Senator from Mass = Senator from Illinois, ect. My guess is Biden will have difficulty. Plus, incumbent Vice Presidents tend to lose elections. Nixon, Humphrey, Gore, ect or never make it there themselves, IE Barkley, Quayle.

Secretary of State Clinton - The worst fear of mine would be eight years of Obama followed by eight years of Hillary Clinton. Luckily, the likelihood of this occurring is very slim as the Democrats are reluctant to nominate older nominees.

To be honest...I think that Martin O'Malley or Andrew Cuomo look like safe bets.

I wouldn't call Schweitzer, O'Malley, Gillibrand, Hickenlooper, Warner, and others that weak. Especially if the GOP blame a Romney loss because he was too "moderate" (lol), and nominate an unelectable social conservative like Thune or some Tea Bagger. Of course a lot can happen in four years, so who the hell knows.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure. Andrew Cuomo, Brian Schweitzer, and possibly Hillary Clinton will make for a stronger field than 1988, 2004, and quite possibly 2012. And looking at how so many of the governors of the GOP's class of 2010 are crashing and burning, their field may end up being more limited and weaker than is obvious now. Remember that by 2016, Jeb Bush won't have held office in almost a decade, and the Bush name will probably still be toxic. Chris Christie has trouble holding his abrasive manner in check (such as when he recently called a Navy SEAL an "idiot"), and while it may be endearing in small doses, it will really grate on the nerves of Southern and Midwestern voters once they're exposed to it at length.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 03:07:11 AM »

Chris Christie has trouble holding his abrasive manner in check (such as when he recently called a Navy SEAL an "idiot"), and while it may be endearing in small doses, it will really grate on the nerves of Southern and Midwestern voters once they're exposed to it at length.

Yeah, I was trying to explain that what is considered cool among Newjerseyites and Newyorkers might rub people the wrong way in Iowa or New Hampshire, where they expect to be treated with utmost respect by candidates, and Phil went apoplectic.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 06:44:19 AM »

I don't know if Schweitzer intends to run in 2016 or not, but the fact that he's willing to go there on Romney's religion suggests that a Schweitzer 2016 campaign could be, uh, interesting if Romney is the incumbent:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/19/brian-schweitzer-mitt-romney-s-family-came-from-a-polygamy-commune-in-mexico.html
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 01:12:20 PM »

John Hickenlooper and Amy Klobuchar will be mentioned in a few places. Who amazingly popular politicians in their states.

Oh, and Scott Walker as the mandatory 'controversial' candidate for the GOP.

Hickenlooper is going to be interesting. He is very popular, but the state GOP is a mess and can't get their act together. If he's on the national stage, things are going to come out the GOP here has not eventually successfully tried to nail him on. Like two dozen houses burning down on a Sunday because the firefighters didn't want to work and his administration says "lesson learned". And that's it, everyone ignored it because the GOP didn't say what the h*ll! So he's popular, but also untested, and he was given the election to him because of Tancredo and Maes both being in the race.
OhioDem
Rookie
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 04:37:36 PM »

I think Biden will wait and see if someone good gets in before making a final decision on whether or not to run. If the field looks too weak by 2014, he'll toss his hat in the ring, if not, he'll retire. In any case, I look for a real battle on the Democratic side to inherit Obama's massive campaign machine. While Obama may prefer not to endorse until the Democrats have a nominee, it won't prevent candidates from trying to woo his contributors.

Right now, the Republican field looks pretty weak, so weak that Santorum might end up running as a sacrificial lamb in 2016 unless someone emerges from left field that's truly impressive.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »

...are you kidding? The Republican field will be just as good as a the Democrat field. With people like Rubio, Christie, Martinez, Jeb, and Huckabee kicking around, it'll be an interesting election.

After eight years of Obama, I think the only Democrats who'd stand a chance would be Hillary and Schweitzer.   
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 01:14:36 AM »

Looks like Vilsack might run again (his 2008 campaign lasted like two weeks or so):

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120508/NEWS09/120507028/Vilsack-would-consider-another-White-House-run

He says the only offices he'd consider running for in the future would be president or vice president.
EmersonAdams
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -4.52

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 08:43:30 PM »

I doubt Hillary or Biden will run, but if either of them jumps into the race they could probably clear the field (Hillary more so than Biden). They will probably wait to see how the 2016 field takes shape, and if it looks weak either could become a savoir candidate. They can afford to wait until later in the campaign season to jump in, for no other reason than their near universal name rec.

However, a number of candidates will need to enter the field early if they are to ward off Hillary or Biden. O'Malley, Kaine, Cuomo or Warner will need to get out early, and try to claim "front-runner" status. Others, like Hickenlooper, Gillibrand, or Patrick will need to enter fairly early to build up campaign infrastructure and national name recognition. Schweitzer, Feingold, and Warren could conceivably wait until later in the season to jump in, and try to pick off a faltering front runner and claim momentum.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 09:49:17 PM »

I doubt Hillary or Biden will run, but if either of them jumps into the race they could probably clear the field (Hillary more so than Biden). They will probably wait to see how the 2016 field takes shape, and if it looks weak either could become a savoir candidate. They can afford to wait until later in the campaign season to jump in, for no other reason than their near universal name rec.

However, a number of candidates will need to enter the field early if they are to ward off Hillary or Biden. O'Malley, Kaine, Cuomo or Warner will need to get out early, and try to claim "front-runner" status. Others, like Hickenlooper, Gillibrand, or Patrick will need to enter fairly early to build up campaign infrastructure and national name recognition. Schweitzer, Feingold, and Warren could conceivably wait until later in the season to jump in, and try to pick off a faltering front runner and claim momentum.

You're right but Billary is smart enough to game it out and, if she wants to run, not wait as long as she can so as to try and clear the field.  On the other hand, she may want to wait longer to see if it's a favorable year for Dems.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies