One thing about 2016 GOP presidential speculation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:06:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  One thing about 2016 GOP presidential speculation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: One thing about 2016 GOP presidential speculation  (Read 983 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2012, 11:43:11 AM »

Assuming, of course, that field in 2016 will be widely open (AKA: no incumbent).

We seems to forget one key element while mentioning possible candidates like Marco Rubio or Rand Paul: 2010 freshmen class.

They are going to be up for reelection the very same year. And that is making a politician less likely to run for President. The most recent and most prominent example is John Edwards, retiring to run for President after one Senate term, thus skipping reelection. He didn't end up well.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 12:51:47 PM »

True.

That is why I think there's a decent chance Rubio may skip a 2016 Presidential run and focus on getting reelected to the Senate instead. Why give up a seat that is probably his as long as he wants it if he is young enough to conceivably hold off on running for President as far off a 2028?

Alternatively, I could see Paul deciding not to run for a second term to the Senate and just focusing on a Presidential run instead. Since his reelection prospects in KY may not be as bright.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »

True.

That is why I think there's a decent chance Rubio may skip a 2016 Presidential run and focus on getting reelected to the Senate instead. Why give up a seat that is probably his as long as he wants it if he is young enough to conceivably hold off on running for President as far off a 2028?

Alternatively, I could see Paul deciding not to run for a second term to the Senate and just focusing on a Presidential run instead. Since his reelection prospects in KY may not be as bright.

Paul's already filed to run for Senate; he could conceivably run for President and Senate at the same time a la Lieberman 2000, but it's not likely.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53404.html
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 01:28:58 PM »

I thought about this too and realized that. Still, if the opportunity presents itself, we could see at least one member of that class trying to run four years from now. I personally am waiting to jump on what Dallasfan termed the "Randwagon".
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:43:32 PM »

That why I never thought any Class of 2010ers would run, possibly excepting Paul.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »

Of course, in some states you can run for Senate and Presidency at the same time, but I don't think anyone would dear to pull "Lyndon Law" while running for President. Vice President is a diffrent thing, but that'd would certainly backfire.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »

Of course, it depends on whether Romney picks Rubio to be his running mate this time.  If he does, and he does an OK job on the campaign trail, then he'll be the early frontrunner for the 2016 nomination, and he'd be foolish to pass on a run in 2016.

Also, when is the Florida senate primary?  If Rubio runs for prez, but it's clear by March 2016 that he's not getting the nomination, couldn't he drop out of the presidential race and run for reelection for senate?  Couldn't Paul do so as well?  Haven't other candidates done that before?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 09:54:57 PM »

Of course, it depends on whether Romney picks Rubio to be his running mate this time.  If he does, and he does an OK job on the campaign trail, then he'll be the early frontrunner for the 2016 nomination, and he'd be foolish to pass on a run in 2016.

Also, when is the Florida senate primary?  If Rubio runs for prez, but it's clear by March 2016 that he's not getting the nomination, couldn't he drop out of the presidential race and run for reelection for senate?  Couldn't Paul do so as well?  Haven't other candidates done that before?

In August. Rubio isn't getting the VP nod this year, he's been quite clear on that. As for candidates dropping out- sure, but Dole in '80 (IIRC) is the last time that happened.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies