Opinion of the 2016 Democratic bench
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:36:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Opinion of the 2016 Democratic bench
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Huh
Amazing bench

Horrific bench

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Opinion of the 2016 Democratic bench  (Read 6224 times)
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 03:36:14 AM »

I like O'Malley the most, he's young(er) and charismatic and his achievements as Governor are commendable. Plus he totally called out Gov. McDonnell on his sh!t  to his face on live television. He has my vote.

Schweitzer is alright, if he eventually became the nominee id obviously vote for him but he wouldn't be my first choice.

I personally like both Virginians mentioned, Warner more than Kaine, but some of Warner's votes cast in the Senate worry me...and Kaine disappointed me when he was one of the few Democrats who opposed the President on the Contraception Mandate.

I'm neutral on Gillibrand, I guess she just hasn't stood out enough to me. I wish there were more women politicians mentioned for 2016. If Warren wins her Senate seat, she'd be one of my top choices for 2016. McCaskill is alright, somewhat mediocre. I wouldn't mind Christine Gregoire either, though she might be too old by then. No one else really pops out.

Joe Biden would actually make a good President, but that's just me I guess. I dunno who else from the current administration would run in 2016. Sebelius would be an okay choice, but she'd probably be too old too.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »

Schweitzer/O'Malley for me! I would vote for him in the Fall if I had to but I plan on working hard against Cuomo if he runs.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 02:14:36 AM »

Like most other people here I'd prefer Schweitzer or O'Malley (of the big names) and will be okay with anybody but Cuomo.  I actually don't mind pushing for union givebacks as much, but I hate his capitulation on redistricting and his general anti-transit and anti-community horribleness w/r/t the new Tappan Zee.  Dude just doesn't get it.

I'm also a fan of John Hickenlooper, and think Biden is much better than he gets credit for.  Though most of my like of Biden is probably just because he commuted to DC via Amtrak for decades.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 01:42:24 PM »

Can we not find a single practical progressive option to bring to the table? Cuomo, Gillibrand, Shweitzer, Warner...uggh. I wish Jack Reed would run, no idea how much interest that would garner though.
Feingold, Warren? Although it doesn't look like Feingold would run.
EmersonAdams
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -4.52

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 03:35:47 PM »

I'm a little reluctant to make this a Schweitzer lovefest, but I think the Montana governor would bring a lot of excitement to the race. He has real progressive and populist credentials, and he has the kind of larger than life personality that you like in a presidential contender. I see him as a figure who may be able to unify the more progressive and moderate wings of the party.

Elizabeth Warren would probably be my ideal candidate, but she has a tough enough road ahead just to win her senate race, in probably the most liberal state in the country. If she does win, she has a shot to win the nomination in 2016, especially if Hillary doesn't get in and the base is clamoring for a woman. Warren can fire up the left like no one else, and her proven fundraising ability might just carry her to the top in a tough primary season. It's always difficult for someone from the far right or far left to make it to the presidency, but when they do they tend to be "great". I hate to draw a comparison with the Gipper, but Regan came from the fringe of the Republican party to win the presidency, and even now his ideas and policies make up the ideological heart of the republican party. Hell, Regan started a governing paradigm that influenced the policies of even Clinton and Obama. I think Warren has the potential to change the basic philosophy behind American governance, but she faces a definite uphill struggle. 

I think Tim Kaine, Martin O'Malley, and Deval Patrick would all be solid picks for the Dems. All of them are proven governors with long and extensive track records. I'd like to see a Fiengold candidacy, too.

Cuomo is too fiscally conservative for my tastes, and if he did get involved he would be a Romney-esque front runner. I don't see him generating a ton of enthusiasm or pushing the party forward. He would have to campaign as an "effective administrator", and that rarely gives a candidate intense public support. I would probably vote for Cuomo, but I certainly wouldn't campaign for him. Ditto for Warner.

All in all, I think the dems have a nice bench to draw from in 2016.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 08:17:15 PM »

Cuomo seems like he could be strong, but his economic positions are way too conservative while the only things he seems to really be leftist about are gay marriage and abortion. I don't think I could vote for him.

Schweitzer seems a bit more promising, and I haven't really heard too much about O'Malley. Not a huge Gillibrand fan.

Cuomo's position on gay marriage puts him to the left of Obama on one issue, and he's obviously hoping that strong leadership that one issue will offset being lame on everything else. Taking down Cuomo in the primary would require some work, New York governors usually get the nomination when they want it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »

Any incumbent New York governor is going to have a formidable fundraising machine.  So yeah, assuming Clinton doesn't run, Cuomo would be a major contender.  Though, of course, $ doesn't automatically mean victory.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »

Any incumbent New York governor is going to have a formidable fundraising machine.  So yeah, assuming Clinton doesn't run, Cuomo would be a major contender.  Though, of course, $ doesn't automatically mean victory.

Obama and Clinton don't seem to hold in very high regard Cuomo, so if they can subtly direct their donors to another candidate then he can certainly counter Cuomo's fundraising advantage.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2012, 02:34:48 PM »

I'd like Brian Schweitzer, enough to come over and vote for him. But there's lots of other dark-horse-type candidates; Bill Richardson, Russ Feingold, Dave Freudenthal, John Baldacci, John Kitzhaber, John Lynch, Jim Webb, and Jon Tester, among others. Any of those guys have a shot besides Schweitzer or maybe Feingold?
hopper
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2012, 09:15:43 PM »

I'd like Brian Schweitzer, enough to come over and vote for him. But there's lots of other dark-horse-type candidates; Bill Richardson, Russ Feingold, Dave Freudenthal, John Baldacci, John Kitzhaber, John Lynch, Jim Webb, and Jon Tester, among others. Any of those guys have a shot besides Schweitzer or maybe Feingold?
Jim Webb? Thats one name I haven't heard. He was the Navy Sec. under Reagan. Yeah Freudenthal thats a good name to throw out there. Jon Tester? He has never run anything. He has been a Senator his whole political career.
hopper
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »

Everybody keeps name dropping Gillibrand. I think she would be a perfect fit for VP.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »

Jim Webb? Thats one name I haven't heard. He was the Navy Sec. under Reagan. Yeah Freudenthal thats a good name to throw out there. Jon Tester? He has never run anything. He has been a Senator his whole political career.

Webb was Navy Sec, but now he's a Senator (D-VA). And why can't we pick Senators for President? Obama, McCain, Santorum were all Senators.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies