Opinion of the 2016 Democratic bench (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:56:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Opinion of the 2016 Democratic bench (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Huh
Amazing bench

Horrific bench

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Opinion of the 2016 Democratic bench  (Read 6414 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 18, 2012, 10:35:48 PM »

Schweitzer seems like he could be a shot in the arm (if you'll forgive the old saying) for Democratic discourse in the United States. He's willing to engage the Republicans on his terms, not on their terms. He doesn't try to be professorial like Obama, but neither is he rude to opponents like Chris Christie in the GOP is. He could shift the liberal discourse from trying to keep up with Republicans to forging their own path. Do you see what I mean by that? He's a totally different type of candidate than Barack Obama was. He's got the small-state, combative credentials, while still being pleasing to most Democrats. Plus, he'd be the first candidate to completely throw off the dying issue of gun control (notice how the Dems haven't done anything about it for years, but still consider it an important issue), which could revitalize the left in the Midwest. I prefer Schweitzer to any other contender.

O'Malley I also like, because he seems like an Obama with more of a spine. To be fair, he's already in a blue state, but he seems willing to call out the right on social AND economic issues, and seems calm and reasonable.

Andrew Cuomo seems like a sellout already, despite his push for gay marriage. His wheeler-dealer image makes me cringe every time I hear about it, and he seems too willing to concede to Republicans on economic issues. Sure, he balanced the budget in NY, but at a heavy cost. Plus, he doesn't seem to have the spirit his dad has. Much more of a Democratic Romney than anything else. Also, he has skeletons in his closet from his days at HUD.

Gillibrand is meh for me. She's a good VP candidate, but I never cared for a Hillary-esque politician, and she seems like that sort of candidate.

If we're going for a female contender candidate in 2016, I could see Claire McCaskill as a fine candidate; moderate, but still fiery when needed.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 11:44:16 PM »

The grapevine here about O'Malley is a potential trouble spot for him. There are two problems for him - one small, one potentially significant. The small one is that he is a bit aloof. The other one, has been swirling around for years, and it's never stuck in any of his Gubernatorial races, but it would come out in a Presidential campaign.

...he's gay, isn't he?

Nah, just (rumors) of martial infidelity that according to Wikipedia were spread by a Maryland Democratic party official. Probably a falsehood spewed by a disgruntled official, judging by it's lack of staying power.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies