Opinion of the 2016 Democratic bench (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:50:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Opinion of the 2016 Democratic bench (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Huh
Amazing bench

Horrific bench

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Opinion of the 2016 Democratic bench  (Read 6376 times)
EmersonAdams
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -4.52

« on: April 10, 2012, 03:35:47 PM »

I'm a little reluctant to make this a Schweitzer lovefest, but I think the Montana governor would bring a lot of excitement to the race. He has real progressive and populist credentials, and he has the kind of larger than life personality that you like in a presidential contender. I see him as a figure who may be able to unify the more progressive and moderate wings of the party.

Elizabeth Warren would probably be my ideal candidate, but she has a tough enough road ahead just to win her senate race, in probably the most liberal state in the country. If she does win, she has a shot to win the nomination in 2016, especially if Hillary doesn't get in and the base is clamoring for a woman. Warren can fire up the left like no one else, and her proven fundraising ability might just carry her to the top in a tough primary season. It's always difficult for someone from the far right or far left to make it to the presidency, but when they do they tend to be "great". I hate to draw a comparison with the Gipper, but Regan came from the fringe of the Republican party to win the presidency, and even now his ideas and policies make up the ideological heart of the republican party. Hell, Regan started a governing paradigm that influenced the policies of even Clinton and Obama. I think Warren has the potential to change the basic philosophy behind American governance, but she faces a definite uphill struggle. 

I think Tim Kaine, Martin O'Malley, and Deval Patrick would all be solid picks for the Dems. All of them are proven governors with long and extensive track records. I'd like to see a Fiengold candidacy, too.

Cuomo is too fiscally conservative for my tastes, and if he did get involved he would be a Romney-esque front runner. I don't see him generating a ton of enthusiasm or pushing the party forward. He would have to campaign as an "effective administrator", and that rarely gives a candidate intense public support. I would probably vote for Cuomo, but I certainly wouldn't campaign for him. Ditto for Warner.

All in all, I think the dems have a nice bench to draw from in 2016.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies