Some news about the Utah Gubernatorial race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:18:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Some news about the Utah Gubernatorial race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Some news about the Utah Gubernatorial race  (Read 8879 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2012, 09:59:24 PM »

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/53617147-90/cooke-utah-state-mcentee.html.csp

So I don't know if this was posted before, but there's a Democratic gubernatorial candidate who may actually have a chance in Utah. Like the article says, he's retired Army Reserve General Peter Cooke, who's apparently been active in Utah for about 40 years. He hasn't done an "issues" page yet on his "Cookeforgovernor" site, but from all appearances, he seems to be a moderate. And he hits all the right tones (even for Utah) on education, veterans, and bipartisanship. I'm excited to see where his campaign goes.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:59:28 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2012, 10:29:44 AM by Snowstalker »

Any chances of a Democratic victory in Utah will be shattered if Romney is the nominee. Even in a big loss, Mitt's coattails will be too strong with Mormons.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 12:23:28 AM »

Any chances of a Democratic victory in Utah will be shattered if Romney is the nominee. Even in a big loss, Mitt's coattails will be too strong with Mormons.

Peter Cooke is a Mormon too, but I get your point. Still, he has a much better chance than Coroon back in 2010 did. Or Bob Springmeyer back in 2008. Those loses were just embarrassing. And Herbert's been making himself slightly unpopular since his victory in 2010. The GRAMA closed records bill, the signing of a bunch of GOP "message" bills, and a few other missteps could make this a closer race than most years.

Hopefully the GOP Presidential primaries go crazy enough that Romney isn't seen as desirable even among Mormons (I'm a Mormon too, but I'm not exactly the standard Mormon).
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 12:45:03 AM »

Welcome to the forum, PioneerProgress!  Smiley
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:31:37 AM »

Peter Cooke is a Mormon too, but I get your point. Still, he has a much better chance than Coroon back in 2010 did. Or Bob Springmeyer back in 2008. Those loses were just embarrassing. And Herbert's been making himself slightly unpopular since his victory in 2010. The GRAMA closed records bill, the signing of a bunch of GOP "message" bills, and a few other missteps could make this a closer race than most years.

Hopefully the GOP Presidential primaries go crazy enough that Romney isn't seen as desirable even among Mormons (I'm a Mormon too, but I'm not exactly the standard Mormon).

You should have some better insight into Utah politics than I do. Does Mitt have a shot at breaking 70% in the state as Bush did in 2004?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 04:28:39 PM »

Thanks! I'm actually a Washington native, but moved when I was too young to care about politics, so I consider myself a Utahn. I'm a Mormon (with the pioneering spirit and such), and I consider myself a progressive, hence the username.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's quite possible, especially if he chooses a running mate who hasn't said anything bad about Mormonism. He's pretty popular here both for being Mormon and for being one of the architects of the Salt Lake City Olympics. Even with his many missteps and gaffes, his Mormonism and his calm, reasonable style will be quite good for his Utah prospects. Romney might hit 75% this year.

On the other hand, there's a small but growing minority of LDS Paulites in Utah, so I could be wrong. Paul might get a few thousand (Utah's population is only 2.5 million, so that's fairly high) write-in votes in November. Either way, Obama is NOT popular in Utah, so he won't receive many votes.

Hopefully the fact that Peter Cooke is a Mormon and a military vet as well will improve his chances for the gubernatorial race.

As a hilarious side note, Rocky Anderson's Justice Party (which is ultra-liberal) is only registered in Utah and Mississippi.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 07:55:34 PM »

On the other hand, there's a small but growing minority of LDS Paulites in Utah, so I could be wrong. Paul might get a few thousand (Utah's population is only 2.5 million, so that's fairly high) write-in votes in November.

Who are Mormon Paulites, anyway?  Young college student types or fundamentalist polygamous types?*  Or both?

*IIRC there was some town in Utah with a large polygamous Mormon colony, where the mayor was the leader of the colony.  After some sort of dispute with the GOP the mayor and most of the city council all switched to the Libertarian Party.  They later elected a gay LP member mayor.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »

Who are Mormon Paulites, anyway?  Young college student types or fundamentalist polygamous types?*  Or both?

*IIRC there was some town in Utah with a large polygamous Mormon colony, where the mayor was the leader of the colony.  After some sort of dispute with the GOP the mayor and most of the city council all switched to the Libertarian Party.  They later elected a gay LP member mayor.

A little bit of the college student type, but neither, really. Mainly mainstream family types that take the idea of "liberty" very, very seriously. As in, they hate anything that interferes with the free market, especially Obamacare. They read Von Mises and treat Austrian economics as scripture, and in the actual LDS scriptures, they point to tyrants raising taxes as justifying their economic views. I'm neighbors with at least one (that I know of) of those types of families, and go to school with at least three more. They usually focus on the economics part of Ron Paul's message, and less on the social issues (which they brush off with the inevitable "state's rights" argument).

The odd thing is that of the LDS Paulites I've met, the entire family seems to support Paul; no political dissenters in the family. When there's no Paulite in a family besides a somewhat estranged uncle or whatever, they usually have a slightly higher diversity of political opinion.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 11:08:33 PM »

Paul won Colorado City, AZ, if that helps.  Smiley
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 12:13:36 AM »

I wasn't aware FLDS voted.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »

I don't have any idea about the FLDS voting, but the Confederate Nations of Israel (who are no longer completely Mormon or even completely polygamist) did elect one of their members and a Libertarian Party guy to the mayor's seat of Big Water Utah (a town of 400 at it's biggest).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 09:00:11 PM »

They participate fully in the governmental system, to the best of my knowledge. They're not isolationist.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »

There's such a thing as Utah gubernatorial election?

Whoa. I was sure that Utah GOP is simply naming the new Governor each four years.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 11:46:42 PM »

There's such a thing as Utah gubernatorial election?

Whoa. I was sure that Utah GOP is simply naming the new Governor each four years.

Haha, that's too true most years. Herbert beat his opponent by over 30% last year, and Huntsman absolutely crushed his 2008 opponent by almost 50 percent, so basically, whoever wins the GOP Primary will usually win the state. Same with the Senate; Hatch beat his 2006 opponent (who's the current favorite for the Dem nominate for Senate this time) by over 30%, Mike Lee beat his 2010 opponent by roughly 29% (with a Constitution Party candidate getting over 5% of the vote). The House of Representatives isn't much better; the Blue Dog Democrat Jim Matheson is the only statewide Democrat with staying power.

Besides Matheson, the only powerful Utah political office that the Dems usually keep is the Salt Lake City and Salt Lake County mayor's seat; we even got ultra-liberal Rocky Anderson as Salt Lake City Mayor for 8 years.

So that's why I'm so excited about Peter Cooke's candidacy. The rest of the Democratic candidates for almost anything in Utah (except the aforementioned mayor's seats) are kind of pathetic, honestly. The guy challenging Hatch (named Pete Ashdown) lost horribly last time, and three out of the four Representative districts we'll have this election have no serious Democratic candidates at all. Of course, I'm counting Jim Matheson as a Republican-in-Democratic clothing because I hate him.

What's interesting though is that the Dems seem to be trying a new tactic in Utah; instead of fielding classically progressive candidates (like Pete Ashdown) who would do well in a more liberal state, they seem to be counting on the Utah GOP being so fanatical about cutting government services that they'd cut or refuse military benefits, and thus allow the Utah Democrats to field pro-military/retired veteran candidates. Peter Cooke of course one, but the Democratic frontrunner for an attempt on Jason Chaffetz's seat is Richard Clark, a Vietnam vet who stresses his military and charitable work in warzones. If Cooke and Clark do fairly well (or even win), this could herald a new era of pro-military Democrats in Utah, which is an interesting change from Rocky Anderson's attempts to impeach Bush.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 11:49:43 PM »

Who are Mormon Paulites, anyway?  Young college student types or fundamentalist polygamous types?*  Or both?

Paul won Colorado City, AZ, if that helps.  Smiley

They vote.  Their turnout is pretty meh, and they're prone to revolting against Republican candidates they dislike (like John McCain) by splitting their vote with write-ins, Constitutionalists and that ilk.

For some reason, they seem to dislike the Libertarian Party.  Even with the reflexive "anybody but Obama, but not McCain either" vote there, that got write-ins like 15%, Ralph Nader somehow beat Bob Barr in Colorado City.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »

Didn't Baldwin win it?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 11:56:21 PM »

Well this could affect Herbert's chances in the fall. 780,000 people (about one in six Utahns) just had their private medical info hacked, and it looks like the state government didn't provide adequate security for medical records. A lot of people are very angry right now, and with old scandals getting revitalized by this new one, Governor Herbert might be in trouble. I certainly hope that this can let the Democrat have a chance.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 12:06:28 AM »

Are there any polls on this? Is he at least polling above 40?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 10:03:25 PM »

Are there any polls on this? Is he at least polling above 40?

Utah seems to be lacking in polls; there haven't been any credible gubernatorial polls since early July of 2011, long before Peter Cooke jumped in. There's recently been a internet poll by PoliticIt (an internet politics blog) that shows Cooke in hitting distance of Herbert, but it's inaccurate, since it only measures the amount of "positive" mentions of a candidate on the Internet.

I'm a supporter of Cooke (even donated money), and I prefer to think he's fairly close to Herbert in terms of polling, but until they come out, I just don't know the numbers for any of the candidates.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 10:23:51 PM »

Call me bonkers, but I'm more than a bit eager to see what would happen if a Democrat were to take Utah's reins. After all, it worked for Wyoming and is still working for Montana, so why not give it a shot? Unbending single-party states are boring as balls anyway.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 12:02:51 AM »

Call me bonkers, but I'm more than a bit eager to see what would happen if a Democrat were to take Utah's reins. After all, it worked for Wyoming and is still working for Montana, so why not give it a shot? Unbending single-party states are boring as balls anyway.

Why do you think I'm so excited for General Cooke (I still can't get over the fact that a retired General is a Democrat) and his chances in the gubernatorial campaign? It's been 25 years (36 if you count Governor Matheson's first election) since a Democrat took office in Utah, and Cooke is probably the best Democratic candidate since Matheson himself.

I want to see a resurgent Democratic party in Utah, and Cooke's the best guy for it. He's awesome; check out his speeches on Youtube.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 09:26:31 PM »

Cooke finally declared his running mate, the son of old Governor Rampton.

I'll quote my thoughts on this from a different forum:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Still, at least the Utah Dems have a united ticket now. I'm going to volunteer for the Cooke campaign, so I'm going to be working to give him a chance of winning Utah.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 06:48:47 PM »

Allow me to admit that I will be following this race eagerly from here on. As Utah's neighbor, I have something of a vested interest in this. Tongue

Any idea how the race is trending, Pioneer? Or if Herbert is likely to be booted in the primary, since I know Philpot's stuck his head out of cover again?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 09:39:16 PM »

Allow me to admit that I will be following this race eagerly from here on. As Utah's neighbor, I have something of a vested interest in this. Tongue

Any idea how the race is trending, Pioneer? Or if Herbert is likely to be booted in the primary, since I know Philpot's stuck his head out of cover again?

It doesn't look good for Cooke right now, he's trending 27 to Herbert's 65, with 8 undecided. Then again, he is literally only barely known by most Utahns, and Herbert's been hit with a bunch of scandals, so I'd say it's at least 5 points off for now. I think he'll end up doing better than the last few Democratic candidates, though. Though internet popularity doesn't translate to votes, he's tied with Herbert in an internet "digital influence" contest.

As for Herbert's rivals, they don't have a chance. He's enormously popular among most Republicans (even Tea Partiers) with 69% preferring him over any of his other challengers (Philpot is actually the closest with 13%). He won't lose the primary. In fact, because of Utah's convention system, he probably won't even face a primary, as 60% of the delegate vote means you simply skip the primary and go to the general election. If Herbert faces a primary and loses, I'll eat my shoe.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 10:47:39 PM »

Jon, you should have never left! Would he have run for a third term?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies