Romney: Let's get rid of Planned Parenthood!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:37:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney: Let's get rid of Planned Parenthood!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Romney: Let's get rid of Planned Parenthood!  (Read 6226 times)
BigSkyBob

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 11:09:13 PM »

PP often provides financial assistance for abortion. And their infrastructure is funded through the government, which they use in providing and referring abortions.  Their basic mission is in the name, and its not breast cancer screening. There's no reason breast cancer screenings can be provided by an organization with a more appropriate mission. Whether PP's human butchery is legal or not is irrelevant.

FALSE

3% of the services provided by Planned Parenthood are abortions, 3%.  NONE of the government $$$ goes to abortions.  These are the facts and its shown in the financials.  I know Fox News and the talking heads in the GOP (often one in the same) try to get you to believe otherwise, but its false.

Probably been listening to Jon Kyl too much.

Planned Parenthood, as well-informed people know, is strictly a women's healthcare provider that works in multiple fields.

Whether you consider abortion "women's healthcare" or the killing of children before they are born depends mainly on your point of view.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Some "healthcare providers" perform abortions, and others don't. To suggest that pro-life folk don't make that distinction is pathetic.

Uh, if Planned Parenthood provides abortions, then any federal money going to them could be said to be going to abortions, since funding one of their services frees up other funds which can be spent on providing abortions.  Alternative example: if there's a Mafia-run soup kitchen and the city of Newark decides to subsidize it, then they're subsidizing the criminal activities of the Mafia because they're freeing up funds otherwise spent on the soup kitchen to be spent on criminal activities.  It seems that a lot of people are either unaware of this very basic economic concept (fungibility), or are being deliberately disingenuous.

Women and private insurance companies have to pay for the entire costs of the abortion and they are not backed by federal dollars the way Planed Parenthood's other services are.  Federally-subsidized abortion services are illegal and have been for many years.

And, pro-life folk are as much against medical insurance companies that fund abortion as they are against PP. The desire for a dead baby is simply not a "medical need."

Not even going to respond to these.

Come back when you have real arguments instead of weasel words and emotional appeals.

I see ad hominem is all that you  have.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 11:11:27 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2012, 11:15:37 PM by Senator Scott »

PP often provides financial assistance for abortion. And their infrastructure is funded through the government, which they use in providing and referring abortions.  Their basic mission is in the name, and its not breast cancer screening. There's no reason breast cancer screenings can be provided by an organization with a more appropriate mission. Whether PP's human butchery is legal or not is irrelevant.

FALSE

3% of the services provided by Planned Parenthood are abortions, 3%.  NONE of the government $$$ goes to abortions.  These are the facts and its shown in the financials.  I know Fox News and the talking heads in the GOP (often one in the same) try to get you to believe otherwise, but its false.

Planned Parenthood, as well-informed people know, is strictly a women's healthcare provider that works in multiple fields.

Whether you consider abortion "women's healthcare" or the killing of children before they are born depends mainly on your point of view.

Some "healthcare providers" perform abortions, and others don't. To suggest that pro-life folk don't make that distinction is pathetic.

Uh, if Planned Parenthood provides abortions, then any federal money going to them could be said to be going to abortions, since funding one of their services frees up other funds which can be spent on providing abortions.  Alternative example: if there's a Mafia-run soup kitchen and the city of Newark decides to subsidize it, then they're subsidizing the criminal activities of the Mafia because they're freeing up funds otherwise spent on the soup kitchen to be spent on criminal activities.  It seems that a lot of people are either unaware of this very basic economic concept (fungibility), or are being deliberately disingenuous.

Women and private insurance companies have to pay for the entire costs of the abortion and they are not backed by federal dollars the way Planed Parenthood's other services are.  Federally-subsidized abortion services are illegal and have been for many years.

And, pro-life folk are as much against medical insurance companies that fund abortion as they are against PP. The desire for a dead baby is simply not a "medical need."

Come back when you have real arguments instead of weasel words and emotional appeals.

I see ad hominem is all that you  have.

I see snootiness is all you have, friend.

See, I don't respond to "arguments" when they're filled with senseless weasel words and emotional appeals that were clearly only posted with the intent of ticking people off or trolling in general.

But by all means, keep trolling.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 11:41:28 PM »

PP often provides financial assistance for abortion. And their infrastructure is funded through the government, which they use in providing and referring abortions.  Their basic mission is in the name, and its not breast cancer screening. There's no reason breast cancer screenings can be provided by an organization with a more appropriate mission. Whether PP's human butchery is legal or not is irrelevant.

FALSE

3% of the services provided by Planned Parenthood are abortions, 3%.  NONE of the government $$$ goes to abortions.  These are the facts and its shown in the financials.  I know Fox News and the talking heads in the GOP (often one in the same) try to get you to believe otherwise, but its false.

See, I don't respond to "arguments" when they're filled with senseless weasel words and emotional appeals that were clearly only posted with the intent of ticking people off or trolling in general.

Again, if ad hominem accusations are all that you have, you have nothing.

I don't have to call you a "troll" when I can simply point out that you are wrong.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2012, 11:43:37 PM »

FALSE

I don't have to call you a "troll" when I can simply point out that you are wrong.

If tough guy talk is all you have for me, then tough guy talk is all I have for you.  It works both ways, see? Smiley
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 02:32:50 AM »

PP often provides financial assistance for abortion. And their infrastructure is funded through the government, which they use in providing and referring abortions.  Their basic mission is in the name, and its not breast cancer screening. There's no reason breast cancer screenings can be provided by an organization with a more appropriate mission. Whether PP's human butchery is legal or not is irrelevant.

FALSE

3% of the services provided by Planned Parenthood are abortions, 3%.  NONE of the government $$$ goes to abortions.  These are the facts and its shown in the financials.  I know Fox News and the talking heads in the GOP (often one in the same) try to get you to believe otherwise, but its false.

Planned Parenthood, as well-informed people know, is strictly a women's healthcare provider that works in multiple fields.  This page has a good overview of it.  The reason why it is discriminated against so much and treated differently than any other healthcare provider is beyond me.
Beyond you, really?  You don't give yourself enough credit.  The first sentence of that page states what their core mission is.  What do you think they mean by "reproductive health"?  They're a pro-abortion advocacy group for Pete sakes.

Yeah, okay.  A "pro-abortion advocacy group" that dedicates only 3% of its services to abortion makes a whole lotta sense.

http://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/positions/protecting-abortion-access-69.htm

I'll just give you this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Amendment
[/quote]Which they lobby to overturn. But it hasn't stopped them from using running programs like this.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 06:04:02 AM »

FALSE

Planned Parenthood, as well-informed people know, is strictly a women's healthcare provider that works in multiple fields.  This page has a good overview of it.  The reason why it is discriminated against so much and treated differently than any other healthcare provider is beyond me.
Beyond you, really?  You don't give yourself enough credit.  The first sentence of that page states what their core mission is.  What do you think they mean by "reproductive health"?  They're a pro-abortion advocacy group for Pete sakes.

Yeah, okay.  A "pro-abortion advocacy group" that dedicates only 3% of its services to abortion makes a whole lotta sense.

http://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/positions/protecting-abortion-access-69.htm

I'll just give you this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Amendment
Which they lobby to overturn. But it hasn't stopped them from using running programs like this.
[/quote]

Did you even read the page?  "Our primary goal is prevention — reducing the number of unintended pregnancies, especially the alarmingly high number of teenage pregnancies, in the United States."  Not abortion - prevention.  Just because it supports a woman's access to abortion doesn't mean they're advocating for the procedure itself, because they advocate for access to the full range of reproductive health care.

This website- while in opposition to the Hyde Amendment- asks for private donations for abortions.  They receive no federal dollars whatsoever.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 10:12:53 AM »

FALSE

If tough guy talk is all you have for me, then tough guy talk is all I have for you.  It works both ways, see? Smiley

You don't seem to realize that I did point out that you were wrong, which simply isn't "tough guy talk."

When Robert Goodloe Harper said, "Millions for defense, but not one penny for tribute" he was taking a stand on principle. It didn't matter to him that settling the war might cost less than "3%" of prosecuting a war. If a school voucher program were passed there would be a principled opposition to the program from the left even if only "3%" of the students opted out of the public school system [and, they would go ballistic if private "religious" schools were covered.]

The simple truth is that PP is adamant about performing abortions because they see it as a matter of principle, while pro-life folks oppose PP because they take a principled stand against using their tax dollars to fund abortion. Whether abortion is 1% or 99% of PP's revenue, both sides would still take the same principled stand. I was right, and you were wrong.

BigSkyBob

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2012, 10:21:05 AM »

Just because it supports a woman's access to abortion doesn't mean they're advocating for the procedure itself,

PP is performing abortions on a large scale.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »

So I suppose the fact that Planned Parenthood's focus on comprehensive sex education, birth control, and family planning services do nothing at all to reduce the number of abortions performed?

This whole controversy is not about abortion, it's about the rights of women to have control over their own bodies.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »

More importantly, shutting down PP is something only the hardcore of the GOP care about. It is not a winning position for those all important swing voter white suburban women that Mitt needs if he wants to win.

This along with the problems he has created with Latino voters is going to be fatal in the fall.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2012, 01:50:09 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2012, 02:00:05 PM by Senator Scott »

FALSE

If tough guy talk is all you have for me, then tough guy talk is all I have for you.  It works both ways, see? Smiley

You don't seem to realize that I did point out that you were wrong, which simply isn't "tough guy talk."

When Robert Goodloe Harper said, "Millions for defense, but not one penny for tribute" he was taking a stand on principle. It didn't matter to him that settling the war might cost less than "3%" of prosecuting a war. If a school voucher program were passed there would be a principled opposition to the program from the left even if only "3%" of the students opted out of the public school system [and, they would go ballistic if private "religious" schools were covered.]

The simple truth is that PP is adamant about performing abortions because they see it as a matter of principle, while pro-life folks oppose PP because they take a principled stand against using their tax dollars to fund abortion. Whether abortion is 1% or 99% of PP's revenue, both sides would still take the same principled stand. I was right, and you were wrong.

No, no, no.  Don't back away from it.  You did not prove anyone wrong; your original intent was merely to insult PP and label them.  It was tough guy talk; that, or just the way you prefer to open up your "arguments."  Read your original post, because I'm not explaining it again.

You still fail to see why PP is in business.  They are not "adamant" about performing abortions if their intent is to prevent the abortions so that the procedure is less necessary.  PP does not promote abortions, it merely offers them as a resort.  But the bottom line is, your tax dollars are NOT funding abortion for reasons that have already been stated here.  Your quote holds no relevance for this reason.  However, if you insist on opposing this healthcare center because of one services it provides, then I suppose that's just your blind way of looking at it.

"Matter of principle" to perform abortions.  Wow.  This is why I can't even take your posts seriously.

Just because it supports a woman's access to abortion doesn't mean they're advocating for the procedure itself,

PP is performing abortions on a large scale.

Your point?  PP's job is to provide all health services for women- be it contraceptives, abortion procedures, exams, etc.  But you and shua isolate just one of their services and throw silly labels at them because you don't like it, then continue regurgitating this debunked and logically false presumption that federal dollars pay for that procedure.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2012, 01:56:35 PM »

Eh...I'm sorry, but in what way can you pay an organization only for specific things?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2012, 02:10:43 PM »

I enjoyed Ben Kenobi's circular logic at the start of this thread. Yes, Planned Parenthood gets a third of its revenue from abortions. They don't use their government money towards abortions and would cut out their other services if funding was lost for precisely that reason. Abortions are profitable and breast cancer screenings are not. The point of government subsides is to make crucial but commercially unviable products sell. By forcing them to go free market, you are forcing them to either (a) eliminate valuable health programs that have nothing to do with contraceptives and (b) try to promote an increase in contraceptive profits in order to self-subsidize the rest of their nonprofit business. As there is not enough support to outright ban abortion, removing Planned Parenthood's funding wouldn't eliminate abortions but, in fact, eliminate the federal government's role in Planned Parenthood.  This removes any control they might have had over PP's dissemination of information as state laws cannot be applied easily to a national company and, again, their need to go for-profit would probably cause them to have to expand not shut down.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2012, 02:16:53 PM »

I enjoyed Ben Kenobi's circular logic at the start of this thread. Yes, Planned Parenthood gets a third of its revenue from abortions. They don't use their government money towards abortions and would cut out their other services if funding was lost for precisely that reason. Abortions are profitable and breast cancer screenings are not. The point of government subsides is to make crucial but commercially unviable products sell. By forcing them to go free market, you are forcing them to either (a) eliminate valuable health programs that have nothing to do with contraceptives and (b) try to promote an increase in contraceptive profits in order to self-subsidize the rest of their nonprofit business. As there is not enough support to outright ban abortion, removing Planned Parenthood's funding wouldn't eliminate abortions but, in fact, eliminate the federal government's role in Planned Parenthood.  This removes any control they might have had over PP's dissemination of information as state laws cannot be applied easily to a national company and, again, their need to go for-profit would probably cause them to have to expand not shut down.

This.  It also should be noted, the abortion rate would very likely increase if PP is denied funding for its other services.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies