Anti-Americanism on this board (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:00:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Anti-Americanism on this board (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anti-Americanism on this board  (Read 9523 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 19, 2012, 07:15:37 PM »

I don't think the originator of this thread (as he has stated before, apparently to no effect) has any problems with people expressing their opinions on a given policy of the United States -it is when they start claiming that they intend to support an enemy of the United States (i.e. Iran) in a given war that it crosses a line.  Those antiwar demonstrators of yore did themselves no favors by flying VietCong flags in their rallies. 

And I have to say I agree with him. 
Indeed...at least on that one specific point. 

There is nothing wrong with being critical of the US, it's foreign policies, whatever, but if you are willing to wave the flag of the also easy to criticize government we are at war with (even if we are the "aggressor", which we couldn't be with Iran since they've already committed acts of war against us and our friends) you are a traitorous asshole and you are also hypocrite for not trying to GTFO ASAP.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 06:39:14 AM »

There is a lot you can say about opebo, but at least he takes his hatred of the US ...errrr "bad place" seriously enough to avoid it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:54:18 AM »

Why doesn't the plotting and (admittedly poorly) acting out 4 attacks against embassies in the last month alone* not make Iran an aggressor?  Yeah yeah, we suspect Israel or the US may have killed a few scientists.  MAY HAVE.  But even if it's true, it's not like Iran is passive in this game.  I don't know why this fact is ignored (or hand waved away) by some.

*and that's ignoring the years, nay, decades of Iran's proxies nearly constantly attacking Israel
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »

Half of the f***ing world struggles to put food on the table on a daily basis!
hyperbole or ?  Maybe 20 years ago, but I don't think that's true anymore.

Looking at the stats confirms my suspicions.  It's still an ugly ugly picture but the best thing we can do to fix it won't get done because we don't want to pay the price in blood and coin to do it.  There is plenty of food.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 03:42:22 AM »

Indeed.  GM crops making food cheaper/more plentiful has helped a lot as well.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:07:08 AM »

While I agree with your point, the thing that would help starving people the most would heavily involve our military (or at least the threat of our military).  It's not a lack of food that makes people starve, it's sh**tty governments.  But we lack the will for that and even if we had that will and the best of intentions in mind, the world would look wearily at any action we took to that end because of our actions in the recent (and not so recent) past.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 10:50:05 AM »

First off, I apologize for the statement "for someone of your character".  In hindsight it made me sound like a jackass.  So, I'm going to edit it out after making this post.
For the record, I didn't take it as an insult.  I (think) know what you meant.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yep, our history makes any talk of "saving" corrupt places worthless, because A. we don't have the will to do it for the "right reasons" and even if we somehow did, the arguments against it because of that history would be more than valid and would probably stop us from doing it anyway.  And B...well, I forget what B is as I'm a probably more drunk than I should be for discussing this logically in a way that wouldn't embarrass me later.  I'll be back tonight to flesh out my thoughts in a more....sober way Wink

(and thank Og for those little red squirrely lines underneath misspelled things!)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies