Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 06:49:56 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  In Need of a Game Change, Santorum Plays Small Ball
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: In Need of a Game Change, Santorum Plays Small Ball  (Read 484 times)
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:57:22 am »
Ignore

I alluded to this puzzling strategy by Mr. Santorum, and now someone else on the nets has expanded on the theme, as the oxygen supply wanes due to media attention (aka free advertising) commencing to drift away from the Pub contretemps.

Is Rick just going through the motions now, or is he smarter than us all? 
Likely Voter
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 11:06:11 am »
Ignore

Rick had his chances in MI and OH for game changers. It is hard to see a place now where he can pull one off, but some possible future game changers could be:
- Win IL
- Win WI AND MD on April 3 (he isn't on ballot in DC)
- Win PA, DE and one of NY, CT, RI on April 24.
- Win every state big in May (including OR)...and real big delegate win in TX

That all leads to giving him enough momentum to stop Romney from getting to 1144 on June 5th, which means Rick needs to compete in CA and hold down Romney's delegate gain along with winning a couple of other states on that day (MT and NM for example).

Looking at that todo list, it may be that inTrade is pricing a brokered convention too high at 18%.

Right now I think the only person who could do a game change is Romney. He could either overperform (like winning every race between now and May including PA). Or he could have some colossal gaffe/revelation that gives Rick a new lease on life.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:08:02 am by No hablo ingles PR Voter »Logged

IDS Ex-Speaker Ben Kenobi
Ben Kenobi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:18:34 pm »
Ignore

Santorum whiffs at the top of the 4th with 1 out.

Media declares game over.

"By not voting, you would let someone win who wants to destroy the regions, raise taxes, remove guns from the street, nationalize transit, expand abortion coverage, a gut the military." - Hagrid
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 02:06:01 pm »
Ignore

I think that there is still a slight chance for Romney to shut the process down.

He wins IL big.  He goes into LA and gets a plurality of the delegates.  I thing at that point, it is game over for Santorum, so I don't really blame him for going to LA.

Basically, if Santorum loses both LA and WI, he is finished.  He should suspend after a symbolic victory in PA (like Simon in 1988).

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
Ben Kenobi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 02:34:51 pm »
Ignore

I think that there is still a slight chance for Romney to shut the process down.

He wins IL big.  He goes into LA and gets a plurality of the delegates.  I thing at that point, it is game over for Santorum, so I don't really blame him for going to LA.

Basically, if Santorum loses both LA and WI, he is finished.  He should suspend after a symbolic victory in PA (like Simon in 1988).

And if Santorum wins in IL, will Romney suspend?

"By not voting, you would let someone win who wants to destroy the regions, raise taxes, remove guns from the street, nationalize transit, expand abortion coverage, a gut the military." - Hagrid
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 03:17:26 pm »
Ignore

Romney has a big delegate lead (as well as a huge lead in the popular vote).

As expected the wop won.

Eraserhead's Original Update: Open For Business 24/7
memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 04:54:09 pm »
Ignore

Rick just needs to get up and say that the rest of America deserves a chance to make a decision. He needs to imply strongly that Romney doesn't think that voters in the later states deserve a chance to vote. Nothing appeals to conservatives like victimization.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I will get up and move around every now and then so I reduce the chances to get hit with another Grade 8 headache in the morning.
Ben Kenobi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 05:22:00 pm »
Ignore

Romney has a big delegate lead (as well as a huge lead in the popular vote).

So it *isn't* a gamechanger. Gotcha.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout