Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 02:36:36 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Protesters rally over Florida teen's death, demand arrest
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Protesters rally over Florida teen's death, demand arrest  (Read 5443 times)
cavalcade
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 09:04:14 am »
Ignore

Ideally, he'd be arrested and tried for murder, but I'm not sure they'll have the evidence they need to get a conviction.  Now, if they can at least get him on a charge for not listening to the 911 dispatcher, that'd at least be a small consolation.  Sadly, I'm not sure this will have a just ending.

They should try for manslaughter instead of murder - being that you can't say his actions were premeditated it would probably be easier to get a jury to convict on a lesser charge.

[notalawyer]  It does look a lot like manslaughter, since he pretty clearly ignored police instructions but at least so far there's reasonable doubt as to his intent to kill the kid.  [/notalawyer]
aves terra
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -7.30

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 02:43:57 pm »
Ignore

If you havent heard it yet, here is the recording of Zimmerman's initial 911 call before he shot and killed Trayvon Martin in "self defense".  Listen very carefully to what Zimmerman mumbles at the 1:52 mark after he describes to the dispatcher that Trayvon was heading towards the back entrance of the neighborhood.  He clearly says "f***ing coons".  

youtube.com/watch?v=6aVwPqXc-bk&feature=player_embedded

The fact that this guy Zimmerman is not white but hispanic is irrelevant.  From listening to the tape it sounds as if he was tired of these f***ing coons always getting away and decided to start a confrontation which led to the death of an unarmed teenager half his size who was doing nothing illegal.  Charge him with manslaughter at the very least and the entire Sanford police department needs to be investigated based off their very questionable conduct following the murder.  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:57:47 pm by aves terra »Logged
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 05:34:46 am »
Ignore

He doesn't clearly say "f**king coons".  He is clearly a douche and like I said before, he probably murdered this kid for no good reason.  But we need proof of guilt for a conviction in this country, not just a dead kid and an asshat holding a smoking a gun.

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Passing Through a Screen Door
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 10:55:52 am »
Ignore

How is someone holding a smoking gun over a dead kid not proof of guilt?

Victory over Inks dedicated in memory.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 1.48

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 11:10:07 am »
Ignore

How is someone holding a smoking gun over a dead kid not proof of guilt?

It's proof that he shot him, but he could claim it was in self defense.
Likely Voter
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 12:41:27 pm »
Ignore

He doesn't clearly say "f**king coons".  He is clearly a douche and like I said before, he probably murdered this kid for no good reason.  But we need proof of guilt for a conviction in this country, not just a dead kid and an asshat holding a smoking a gun.

even  the guy who wrote the "stand your ground" law says that the 911 call provides probable cause for an arrest. He said the law does not give you the right to pursue someone and then find yourself in a situation where you can then claim self-defense.

The scandal here is the local PD. They didn't even bother to check the kid's cellphone to notify his family logging him as a John Doe. And amazingly the kid's body was tested for drugs and alchohol but the shooter wasn't. They even let him keep his loaded gun. If this didn't become a news item, this whole thing would have just gone away and this guy would have got away with murder.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:51:47 pm by Etch-A-Sketch Voter »Logged

Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 01:15:59 pm »
Ignore

He doesn't clearly say "f**king coons".  He is clearly a douche and like I said before, he probably murdered this kid for no good reason.  But we need proof of guilt for a conviction in this country, not just a dead kid and an asshat holding a smoking a gun.

even  the guy who wrote the "stand your ground" law says that the 911 call provides probable cause for an arrest. He said the law does not give you the right to pursue someone and then find yourself in a situation where you can then claim self-defense.

The scandal here is the local PD. They didn't even bother to check the kid's cellphone to notify his family logging him as a John Doe. And amazingly the kid's body was tested for drugs and alchohol but the shooter wasn't. They even let him keep his loaded gun. If this didn't become a news item, this whole thing would have just gone away and this guy would have got away with murder.

That may have been the intent of the law when he wrote it, but it's not written in the law.  The law says:

776.012 Use of force in defense of person.—A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:
(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or

The law never says that if you pursue a suspicious person and then have to defend yourself that the justification doesn't apply.

It SHOULD say that, but it doesn't.  If the law isn't rewritten as a result of this, I'd be surprised.

I'm not saying the guy won't be found guilty - I'm just saying that there's a decent chance that he won't be found guilty.
RG Fritz
JLD
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 02:45:48 pm »
Ignore

Sanford Chief of Police has "temporarily" stepped down.

jimrtex
YaBB God
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 02:58:13 pm »
Ignore

http://www.sanfordfl.gov/index.html

http://www.sanfordfl.gov/investigation/docs/Twin%20Lakes%20Shooting%20Initial%20Report.pdf

This claims the gun was collected as evidence, and the report identified the victim.

The tape released by the police ran 4:11 and that on Youtube 2:42

King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 04:00:10 pm »
Ignore

If I'm the seventh seed in the NBA East, I'm shooting LeBron James in the knee after his first foul.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 09:03:52 pm »
Ignore

This might be the dumbest law I've ever heard of, and I've heard of some dumb laws.  Pick a fight with someone, then shoot him and say "self defense?"

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 09:21:25 pm »
Ignore

If this law is not decriminalizing most murders, I don't know what it does. Whenver anyone is killed without witnesses (and even in most cases w/ witnesses) it becomes simply impossible to prove that somebody acted illegally. It's "Shoot First, or You Will Be Shot Yourself Act". This is clear murder decriminalization - and most definite reason to do one's best to avoid ever going to Florida.

Курица - не птица, Болгария - не заграница.
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2012, 12:17:28 am »
Ignore

The thing is - everybody's going after the police chief for not making an arrest, and now he's temporarily stepped down, but that's (in my mind) because of pressure, not because he's actually failed to uphold the law.  Don't get me wrong, I think this guy should be given the death penalty for what he did, but the law is written in a way that really ties the hands of the police.  Removing the police chief will aleviate the public outcry, but when it comes down to 12 angry men deciding the shooter's fate, the law is sadly on the defense's side.

It may not have been the intent of the law, but the way I read it, it makes it really hard to convict him.
Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 05:41:22 am »
Ignore

He doesn't clearly say "f**king coons".  He is clearly a douche and like I said before, he probably murdered this kid for no good reason.  But we need proof of guilt for a conviction in this country, not just a dead kid and an asshat holding a smoking a gun.

even  the guy who wrote the "stand your ground" law says that the 911 call provides probable cause for an arrest. He said the law does not give you the right to pursue someone and then find yourself in a situation where you can then claim self-defense.

That may have been the intent of the law when he wrote it, but it's not written in the law.  The law says:

776.012 Use of force in defense of person.—A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:
(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or

The law never says that if you pursue a suspicious person and then have to defend yourself that the justification doesn't apply.

It SHOULD say that, but it doesn't.  If the law isn't rewritten as a result of this, I'd be surprised.

I'm not saying the guy won't be found guilty - I'm just saying that there's a decent chance that he won't be found guilty.

After reviewing the Florida law I really doubt it applies here.

The section of 776.012 that you quoted doesn't apply because, with the victim being quite obviously unarmed, any belief Zimmerman might have had that the use of deadly force was required to defend himself was utterly unreasonable.

Furthermore, note 776.013 (3):

(3)  A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

The emphasis is mine. Blatantly ignoring the instructions of the 911 dispatcher is a clear case of obstruction of justice; Zimmerman was thus "engaging in an unlawful activity" at the time of the incident and as soon as that's proven in a court of law, Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law will not apply to him in the slightest. Therefore, he still had a duty to retreat and was unjustified in the use of deadly force.

(Sorry if this is post is a bit rambling, btw, i've been up almost 48 hours at this point).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:44:04 am by Bacon King, VP »Logged

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.
Bacon King: 1.  You're cute, in a weird Tom Wopat kind of way.
CaDan
View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 05:43:02 pm »
Ignore

The emphasis is mine. Blatantly ignoring the instructions of the 911 dispatcher is a clear case of obstruction of justice; Zimmerman was thus "engaging in an unlawful activity" at the time of the incident and as soon as that's proven in a court of law, Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law will not apply to him in the slightest. Therefore, he still had a duty to retreat and was unjustified in the use of deadly force.

(Sorry if this is post is a bit rambling, btw, i've been up almost 48 hours at this point).

BWWWWAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

Nope.

jimrtex
YaBB God
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 10:19:42 pm »
Ignore

After Zimmerman reported that Martin was running, the dispatcher asked if he were following him.  And then told him "we don't need you to do that", Zimmerman said "OK".

I don't know how the the dispatcher knew that he was moving, or whether he could tell if Zimmerman was still moving, or if Zimmerman was actually moving after he acknowledged the suggestion not to follow.

The phone call lasted another 1-1/2 minutes.

So if I call 911, and the dispatcher tells me to stay inside; and I nonetheless go outside, have I obstructed justice?

Since the fighting and shooting didn't happen on the street, Zimmerman wasn't in his truck.

If Zimmerman was trying to figure out where Martin had gone, and Martin jumped him, and either hit in him in the back of the head, or pushed him so he hit his head, would Zimmerman be justified in fighting back?
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 10:21:36 pm »
Ignore

Nope.

Please Elaborate.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2012, 04:18:12 am »
Ignore

From what I've heard from legal analysts, ignoring a 911 operator usually isn't considered obstruction of justice.

I'm honestly 50/50 as to whether I think he'll get convicted or not.
Iosif
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2012, 08:46:49 am »
Ignore

I love how everyone is treating this as an abstract case.

J.J., I wanted to congratulate you on your assignment "A Typical Day In My Life". I think you did a superb job with it. So good that I think I'll share it with everyone else.

Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2012, 09:11:05 am »
Ignore

In case any Republicans are feeling cornered, like this is a partisan case and they have to defend Zimmerman, note that Allen West called the treatment of Zimmerman by the police "an outrage."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/2chambers/post/rep-allen-west-on-trayvon-martin-this-is-an-outrage/2012/03/23/gIQA3glxVS_blog.html?tid=pm_politics_pop
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2012, 09:19:08 am »
Ignore

In case any Republicans are feeling cornered, like this is a partisan case and they have to defend Zimmerman, note that Allen West called the treatment of Zimmerman by the police "an outrage."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/2chambers/post/rep-allen-west-on-trayvon-martin-this-is-an-outrage/2012/03/23/gIQA3glxVS_blog.html?tid=pm_politics_pop

Note, Allen West also observed:

Quote from: Same link as brittains
Noting that he had taken some time to “assess the current episode,” West wrote: “The US Navy SEALS identified Osama Bin Laden within hours, while this young man laid on a morgue slab for three days. The shooter, Mr Zimmerman, should have been held in custody and certainly should not be walking free, still having a concealed weapons carry permit. From my reading, it seems this young man was pursued and there was no probable cause to engage him, certainly not pursue and shoot him….against the direction of the 911 responder.”

Let's give the devil his due here fellas.  If this is considered a "defense" of Zimmerman I don't know what the hell would be considered a "prosecution".

Let's not take things out of context now.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:24:34 am by MechaRepublican »Logged

Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2012, 09:27:25 am »
Ignore

Let's give the devil his due here fellas.  If this is considered a "defense" of Zimmerman I don't know what the hell would be considered a "prosecution".

There's a misunderstanding here. I was pointing out that Allen West was calling for justice here and *not* defending Zimmerman.
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, 09:30:16 am »
Ignore

There's a misunderstanding here. I was pointing out that Allen West was calling for justice here and *not* defending Zimmerman.

Oh right.

Well then, I interpreted out of context (your post that is).

Whoops.

Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, 09:32:58 am »
Ignore

Nope.

BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Being an ugly racist chode who willfully ignores facts when it's inconvenient for you must be fun enough to warrant pathetic Dragonball Z villianesque laughter.  Amirite?

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 09:44:38 am »
Ignore

Let's give the devil his due here fellas.  If this is considered a "defense" of Zimmerman I don't know what the hell would be considered a "prosecution".

Oh right.

Well then, I interpreted out of context (your post that is).

Whoops.
I read it the same way you did.

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout