Protesters rally over Florida teen's death, demand arrest
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:12:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Protesters rally over Florida teen's death, demand arrest
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Protesters rally over Florida teen's death, demand arrest  (Read 17988 times)
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 09:04:14 AM »

Ideally, he'd be arrested and tried for murder, but I'm not sure they'll have the evidence they need to get a conviction.  Now, if they can at least get him on a charge for not listening to the 911 dispatcher, that'd at least be a small consolation.  Sadly, I'm not sure this will have a just ending.

They should try for manslaughter instead of murder - being that you can't say his actions were premeditated it would probably be easier to get a jury to convict on a lesser charge.

[notalawyer]  It does look a lot like manslaughter, since he pretty clearly ignored police instructions but at least so far there's reasonable doubt as to his intent to kill the kid.  [/notalawyer]
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 05:34:46 AM »

He doesn't clearly say "f**king coons".  He is clearly a douche and like I said before, he probably murdered this kid for no good reason.  But we need proof of guilt for a conviction in this country, not just a dead kid and an asshat holding a smoking a gun.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 10:55:52 AM »

How is someone holding a smoking gun over a dead kid not proof of guilt?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 11:10:07 AM »

How is someone holding a smoking gun over a dead kid not proof of guilt?

It's proof that he shot him, but he could claim it was in self defense.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 12:41:27 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2012, 12:51:47 PM by Etch-A-Sketch Voter »

He doesn't clearly say "f**king coons".  He is clearly a douche and like I said before, he probably murdered this kid for no good reason.  But we need proof of guilt for a conviction in this country, not just a dead kid and an asshat holding a smoking a gun.

even  the guy who wrote the "stand your ground" law says that the 911 call provides probable cause for an arrest. He said the law does not give you the right to pursue someone and then find yourself in a situation where you can then claim self-defense.

The scandal here is the local PD. They didn't even bother to check the kid's cellphone to notify his family logging him as a John Doe. And amazingly the kid's body was tested for drugs and alchohol but the shooter wasn't. They even let him keep his loaded gun. If this didn't become a news item, this whole thing would have just gone away and this guy would have got away with murder.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 01:15:59 PM »

He doesn't clearly say "f**king coons".  He is clearly a douche and like I said before, he probably murdered this kid for no good reason.  But we need proof of guilt for a conviction in this country, not just a dead kid and an asshat holding a smoking a gun.

even  the guy who wrote the "stand your ground" law says that the 911 call provides probable cause for an arrest. He said the law does not give you the right to pursue someone and then find yourself in a situation where you can then claim self-defense.

The scandal here is the local PD. They didn't even bother to check the kid's cellphone to notify his family logging him as a John Doe. And amazingly the kid's body was tested for drugs and alchohol but the shooter wasn't. They even let him keep his loaded gun. If this didn't become a news item, this whole thing would have just gone away and this guy would have got away with murder.

That may have been the intent of the law when he wrote it, but it's not written in the law.  The law says:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The law never says that if you pursue a suspicious person and then have to defend yourself that the justification doesn't apply.

It SHOULD say that, but it doesn't.  If the law isn't rewritten as a result of this, I'd be surprised.

I'm not saying the guy won't be found guilty - I'm just saying that there's a decent chance that he won't be found guilty.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 02:45:48 PM »

Sanford Chief of Police has "temporarily" stepped down.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 02:58:13 PM »

http://www.sanfordfl.gov/index.html

http://www.sanfordfl.gov/investigation/docs/Twin%20Lakes%20Shooting%20Initial%20Report.pdf

This claims the gun was collected as evidence, and the report identified the victim.

The tape released by the police ran 4:11 and that on Youtube 2:42

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 04:00:10 PM »

If I'm the seventh seed in the NBA East, I'm shooting LeBron James in the knee after his first foul.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 09:03:52 PM »

This might be the dumbest law I've ever heard of, and I've heard of some dumb laws.  Pick a fight with someone, then shoot him and say "self defense?"
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »

If this law is not decriminalizing most murders, I don't know what it does. Whenver anyone is killed without witnesses (and even in most cases w/ witnesses) it becomes simply impossible to prove that somebody acted illegally. It's "Shoot First, or You Will Be Shot Yourself Act". This is clear murder decriminalization - and most definite reason to do one's best to avoid ever going to Florida.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 12:17:28 AM »

The thing is - everybody's going after the police chief for not making an arrest, and now he's temporarily stepped down, but that's (in my mind) because of pressure, not because he's actually failed to uphold the law.  Don't get me wrong, I think this guy should be given the death penalty for what he did, but the law is written in a way that really ties the hands of the police.  Removing the police chief will aleviate the public outcry, but when it comes down to 12 angry men deciding the shooter's fate, the law is sadly on the defense's side.

It may not have been the intent of the law, but the way I read it, it makes it really hard to convict him.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 05:41:22 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2012, 05:44:04 AM by Bacon King, VP »

He doesn't clearly say "f**king coons".  He is clearly a douche and like I said before, he probably murdered this kid for no good reason.  But we need proof of guilt for a conviction in this country, not just a dead kid and an asshat holding a smoking a gun.

even  the guy who wrote the "stand your ground" law says that the 911 call provides probable cause for an arrest. He said the law does not give you the right to pursue someone and then find yourself in a situation where you can then claim self-defense.

That may have been the intent of the law when he wrote it, but it's not written in the law.  The law says:

The law never says that if you pursue a suspicious person and then have to defend yourself that the justification doesn't apply.

It SHOULD say that, but it doesn't.  If the law isn't rewritten as a result of this, I'd be surprised.

I'm not saying the guy won't be found guilty - I'm just saying that there's a decent chance that he won't be found guilty.

After reviewing the Florida law I really doubt it applies here.

The section of 776.012 that you quoted doesn't apply because, with the victim being quite obviously unarmed, any belief Zimmerman might have had that the use of deadly force was required to defend himself was utterly unreasonable.

Furthermore, note 776.013 (3):

The emphasis is mine. Blatantly ignoring the instructions of the 911 dispatcher is a clear case of obstruction of justice; Zimmerman was thus "engaging in an unlawful activity" at the time of the incident and as soon as that's proven in a court of law, Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law will not apply to him in the slightest. Therefore, he still had a duty to retreat and was unjustified in the use of deadly force.

(Sorry if this is post is a bit rambling, btw, i've been up almost 48 hours at this point).
CaDan
Rookie
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 05:43:02 PM »

BWWWWAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

Nope.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 10:19:42 PM »

The emphasis is mine. Blatantly ignoring the instructions of the 911 dispatcher is a clear case of obstruction of justice; Zimmerman was thus "engaging in an unlawful activity" at the time of the incident and as soon as that's proven in a court of law, Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law will not apply to him in the slightest. Therefore, he still had a duty to retreat and was unjustified in the use of deadly force.
After Zimmerman reported that Martin was running, the dispatcher asked if he were following him.  And then told him "we don't need you to do that", Zimmerman said "OK".

I don't know how the the dispatcher knew that he was moving, or whether he could tell if Zimmerman was still moving, or if Zimmerman was actually moving after he acknowledged the suggestion not to follow.

The phone call lasted another 1-1/2 minutes.

So if I call 911, and the dispatcher tells me to stay inside; and I nonetheless go outside, have I obstructed justice?

Since the fighting and shooting didn't happen on the street, Zimmerman wasn't in his truck.

If Zimmerman was trying to figure out where Martin had gone, and Martin jumped him, and either hit in him in the back of the head, or pushed him so he hit his head, would Zimmerman be justified in fighting back?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 10:21:36 PM »

Nope.

Please Elaborate.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2012, 04:18:12 AM »

From what I've heard from legal analysts, ignoring a 911 operator usually isn't considered obstruction of justice.

I'm honestly 50/50 as to whether I think he'll get convicted or not.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2012, 08:46:49 AM »

I love how everyone is treating this as an abstract case.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2012, 09:11:05 AM »

In case any Republicans are feeling cornered, like this is a partisan case and they have to defend Zimmerman, note that Allen West called the treatment of Zimmerman by the police "an outrage."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/2chambers/post/rep-allen-west-on-trayvon-martin-this-is-an-outrage/2012/03/23/gIQA3glxVS_blog.html?tid=pm_politics_pop
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2012, 09:19:08 AM »
« Edited: March 25, 2012, 09:24:34 AM by MechaRepublican »

In case any Republicans are feeling cornered, like this is a partisan case and they have to defend Zimmerman, note that Allen West called the treatment of Zimmerman by the police "an outrage."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/2chambers/post/rep-allen-west-on-trayvon-martin-this-is-an-outrage/2012/03/23/gIQA3glxVS_blog.html?tid=pm_politics_pop

Note, Allen West also observed:

Quote from: Restricted

Let's give the devil his due here fellas.  If this is considered a "defense" of Zimmerman I don't know what the hell would be considered a "prosecution".

Let's not take things out of context now.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2012, 09:27:25 AM »

Let's give the devil his due here fellas.  If this is considered a "defense" of Zimmerman I don't know what the hell would be considered a "prosecution".

There's a misunderstanding here. I was pointing out that Allen West was calling for justice here and *not* defending Zimmerman.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2012, 09:30:16 AM »

There's a misunderstanding here. I was pointing out that Allen West was calling for justice here and *not* defending Zimmerman.

Oh right.

Well then, I interpreted out of context (your post that is).

Whoops.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, 09:32:58 AM »

Nope.

BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Being an ugly racist chode who willfully ignores facts when it's inconvenient for you must be fun enough to warrant pathetic Dragonball Z villianesque laughter.  Amirite?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »

Let's give the devil his due here fellas.  If this is considered a "defense" of Zimmerman I don't know what the hell would be considered a "prosecution".

Oh right.

Well then, I interpreted out of context (your post that is).

Whoops.
I read it the same way you did.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 10:07:26 AM »

It's probably really tough to see me post about Allen West and think it's anything but an attack.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies