Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 04:12:46 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate (Moderator: Beet)
| | |-+  For our religiously conservative brethren....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: For our religiously conservative brethren....  (Read 4893 times)
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 09:33:14 pm »
Ignore

Love does not mean always agreeing with everything someone does

This is, of course, absolutely and utterly true.

It is also a statement that does not entirely gel with the rest of what you seem to be advocating in this thread. Because, you see, whatever this is...

Their partner would not be permitted to enter my house as a partner and my child would not be permitted to see his/her partner.

...it is not 'love'.

Perhaps... perhaps... it could be argued that dressing it up as such is... perhaps ever so slightly... sick? I don't know, perhaps that word is a bit emotive and not conductive to productive discourse (or whatever). It would also miss the point. Inappropriate, maybe, is more fitting. So let's run with it, shall we? Inappropriate.

Fundamentally, you can feel what you want to feel and think what you want to think. But it's wrong (because it's pompous and pomposity is wrong) to dress up every single thought and feeling as if it were the product of noble intention and Christian compassion.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 09:37:17 pm »
Ignore

This is, of course, absolutely and utterly true.

It is also a statement that does not entirely gel with the rest of what you seem to be advocating in this thread. Because, you see, whatever this is...

Their partner would not be permitted to enter my house as a partner and my child would not be permitted to see his/her partner.

...it is not 'love'.

Perhaps... perhaps... it could be argued that dressing it up as such is... perhaps ever so slightly... sick? I don't know, perhaps that word is a bit emotive and not conductive to productive discourse (or whatever). It would also miss the point. Inappropriate, maybe, is more fitting. So let's run with it, shall we? Inappropriate.

Fundamentally, you can feel what you want to feel and think what you want to think. But it's wrong (because it's pompous and pomposity is wrong) to dress up every single thought and feeling as if it were the product of noble intention and Christian compassion.

So what would be the noble and compassionate method of raising a child with homosexual inclinations in the Church? If you let the child act upon those inclinations you would be allowing them to go astray, which as a parent I would have promised not to do. What else should one do in that situation?

#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 10:18:26 pm »
Ignore

The atlas forum, where beliefs are discouraged.

realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 3.48

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 10:20:24 pm »
Ignore

That's most of the internet, actually.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 10:29:05 pm »
Ignore

Reality, where beliefs are discouraged.

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 10:33:38 pm »
Ignore

That's partially the nature of the way the concept of 'reality' is constructed, yes, and it's a huge part of why I'm not terribly fond of modernity.

That these particular beliefs are discouraged here ought not, however, be surprising.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:22:18 am by Nathan »Logged

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2012, 12:00:20 pm »
Ignore

Well I wouldn't be so slow if you would stop sneering and get to the point.

I got to the point in my initial post. But I'm happy to repeat it.

Essentially, I would argue that this...

...does not fit altogether well with this...

...and that dressing up the latter as any kind of 'love' makes a mockery of the word. I don't especially care for your type of canting hypocrisy. Frankly, it makes me sick.

All clear now?

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2012, 12:11:53 pm »
Ignore

Perhaps, but not by me.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 08:39:36 pm »
Ignore

The sound of silence early in the morning.

Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 03:07:16 am »
Ignore

I don't want to be the kind of dick that posts such vague, judgmental crap as this, but:  Nearly all posts on the last few pages are extremely disappointing and beneath the people who are posting them.  There's just so much reductionism and equivocation it's ridiculous.  I think it would be better if we agreed to burn this thread and pretend it never happened.

n/c
Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 12:27:13 pm »
Ignore

Have no fear, for I can save this thread!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXPcBI4CJc8

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 01:05:01 pm »
Ignore

Reality, where beliefs not derived through religion or conservatism are discouraged.

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 01:25:45 pm »
Ignore

I don't want to be the kind of dick that posts such vague, judgmental crap as this, but:  Nearly all posts on the last few pages are extremely disappointing and beneath the people who are posting them.  There's just so much reductionism and equivocation it's ridiculous.  I think it would be better if we agreed to burn this thread and pretend it never happened.
Burn after reading.
Not before.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 02:37:49 pm »
Ignore

I'm a religious person, but not terribly devoted to doctrine.

But something I tend to pick up on in discussions about religion is the tone taken by many athiests. Religious people are painted as being in some perpetual crusade against acceptance. That's a huge micharacterization, even going by what Senator TJ said.

Not all of us are Mr. Bachmanns. Lots of us just believe what we believe and want to live in peace. The thing about outspoken athiests is their arguments are often more pointed and personal. Religious people are always the ones on the defense, while the athiests are on the attack. I don't like that.

morays or demon
Ghost_white
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2012, 02:50:44 pm »
Ignore

I'm a religious person, but not terribly devoted to doctrine.

But something I tend to pick up on in discussions about religion is the tone taken by many athiests. Religious people are painted as being in some perpetual crusade against acceptance. That's a huge micharacterization, even going by what Senator TJ said.

Not all of us are Mr. Bachmanns. Lots of us just believe what we believe and want to live in peace. The thing about outspoken athiests is their arguments are often more pointed and personal. Religious people are always the ones on the defense, while the athiests are on the attack. I don't like that.

They wouldn't be if they weren't constantly bombarded with billboards and told they're going to hell or evil people or whatever other nonsense. I'm probably the most far right person on this forum and I don't really have much sympathy for fundamentalists as far as the "culture wars" go.

That has got to be one of the most retarded proposals I have read on this forum.

Don't worry, I'm sure more will crop up shortly.
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 03:05:06 pm »
Ignore

Fair enough. We don't have signs like that in Canada. They wouldn't go down well.

Though I have to smile when I see them on the way to Myrtle Beach every year. I think it's kind of nice that Christians don't have to be afraid to be Christian. I guess I idealize it because I'm not a local.

Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 04:06:11 pm »
Ignore

I think it's kind of nice that Christians don't have to be afraid to be Christian.

Luckily this has never happened in the last 2000 years in the western world.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 05:21:50 pm »
Ignore

Have you ever been to a Mississauga high school where half the students are Muslims and half the whites are athiests?

Urban Canada is a totally different ball game, especially in youth crowds. My best friend was reprimanded for handing out Christmas cards at school in '07.

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2012, 05:36:35 pm »
Ignore

I think it's kind of nice that Christians don't have to be afraid to be Christian.

Huh

morays or demon
Ghost_white
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2012, 07:16:36 pm »
Ignore

Have you ever been to a Mississauga high school where half the students are Muslims and half the whites are athiests?

Urban Canada is a totally different ball game, especially in youth crowds. My best friend was reprimanded for handing out Christmas cards at school in '07.

In my current state there's a teenage girl still getting death threats for asking her high school to remove a prayer mural that technically was illegal. That's how crazy a lot of americans take their religion. Mind you again, again I'm very right wing and could support your "Christian Heritage" party even from the looks of it. But it's a different ballgame over here.

That has got to be one of the most retarded proposals I have read on this forum.

Don't worry, I'm sure more will crop up shortly.
Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2012, 07:10:27 am »
Ignore

Huh

Christians being afraid to be Christian.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 08:30:35 am »
Ignore

Huh

Is that a theological statement?

Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2012, 08:42:30 am »
Ignore

Huh

OK dude, give me just one exaple of when a Christian could be afraid to be Christian in the western world since the second century.

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2012, 02:27:46 pm »
Ignore

Huh

OK dude, give me just one exaple of when a Christian could be afraid to be Christian in the western world since the second century.
Persecution against Christians took place in the Roman Empire at various times in the 1st-4th century, and in parts of Europe as late as the 10th century. And in the modern age, you have had the persecution of various Christian expressions, sects and religious orders by both 'Christian' and revolutionary/totalitarian regimes.

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2012, 04:10:42 pm »
Ignore

I also gave you an example that you didn't respond to.

Just because they aren't officially prosecuted doesn't mean the religion hasn't been socially discouraged. Being afraid to be Christian doesn't necessary involve fearing you will die because of your beliefs.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout