Illinois Primary Results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:45:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Illinois Primary Results
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]
Author Topic: Illinois Primary Results  (Read 15689 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: March 21, 2012, 07:43:36 PM »

It's mad. Catholics in Ireland (particularly up north) are far more likely to vote for a catholic than a protestant, and vice-versa. But in America identity politics seems non-existant among catholics.

It is a very heterogeneous demographic in the United States and I really think even speaking of the Catholic vote has lost all meaning now. It existed decades ago and was certainly a force during the Kennedy era and as late as Reagan.

My perception is that Catholics tend to vote like Mainline Protestants these days - and think like them.

In some places- I think it depends on ancestry of origin, how long they have been in the country, where in the country they live, what they do for a living and of course how often they  go to church. A Mexican-American in South Texas and some blue collar union member from South Boston may vote for the Democrats while an Italian American executive in North Jersey and Cuban American may go for the Republicans, yet I really don't think them being co-religionists has anything to do with how they vote.  The erosion of a Catholic vote has followed a similar pattern to the massive erosion of the RCC's influence and cohesion. 
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #251 on: March 21, 2012, 07:54:45 PM »

It's mad. Catholics in Ireland (particularly up north) are far more likely to vote for a catholic than a protestant, and vice-versa. But in America identity politics seems non-existant among catholics.

Only up North, surely. Huh
The vast majority is up north, but I've seen some identity voting in places like Monaghan too. Of course it's not an issue when there are no/very few protestants in the area/on the ballot which is quite common.

Well, when I said the North I really meant Ulster... so I'd include Monaghan in that. Wink
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #252 on: March 21, 2012, 08:23:51 PM »

It is a very heterogeneous demographic in the United States and I really think even speaking of the Catholic vote has lost all meaning now. It existed decades ago and was certainly a force during the Kennedy era and as late as Reagan.

My perception is that Catholics tend to vote like Mainline Protestants these days - and think like them.

In some places- I think it depends on ancestry of origin, how long they have been in the country, where in the country they live, what they do for a living and of course how often they  go to church. A Mexican-American in South Texas and some blue collar union member from South Boston may vote for the Democrats while an Italian American executive in North Jersey and Cuban American may go for the Republicans, yet I really don't think them being co-religionists has anything to do with how they vote.  The erosion of a Catholic vote has followed a similar pattern to the massive erosion of the RCC's influence and cohesion. 

I should have said white Mainline Protestants, and white Catholics. That is what I meant.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #253 on: March 21, 2012, 09:03:22 PM »

How did the CD 16 delegate races end up being decided in Illinois?  The AP site shows one for Romney, but no others declared. 

D. Rutherford - 32,697 (Romney)
J. Peterson - 27,678 (Santorum)
T. Koritz - 27,546 (Romney)
C. Arndt - 26,762 (Santorum)
J. Lanning - 26,664 (Romney)
D. Kosinski - 26,580 (Santorum)

These results are with 688 of 689 precincts reporting.  There is one not in from Winnebago County.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies