Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 11:19:15 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Constitution and Law (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  Florida's Stand Your Ground Law
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: What should Florida do about their Stand Your Ground Law?
Keep It   -6 (22.2%)
Get Rid Of It   -11 (40.7%)
Amend It   -10 (37%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Florida's Stand Your Ground Law  (Read 671 times)
gunnut
Rookie
United States

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:43:46 pm »
Ignore

After much controversy over this law that has protected some but endangered most, I've decided to do a poll. Personally, I believe it could protect some people if it wasn't so vague.

Quote from:  Edward Gibbon
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.

Quote from:  Albert Einstein
Those who have never failed have never tried anything new.

Quote from:  Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Quote from:  Ronald Reagan
You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by the way he eats jelly beans.
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:42:17 pm »
Ignore

Keep, of course, just like the people of Florida want. Unfortunately it seems on this forum so far I'm in a minority of one.

Illegally selling arms to North Korea, providing most of the money to anti-Morales rebels in Bolivia, and using the remainder as hush money for his three ex-mistrisses. 
Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:18:37 pm »
Ignore

This is the kind of question that would be considered a sick joke in most places.
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:01:37 pm »

It needs to be amended to make clear that following someone does not invoke the stand your ground provisions if the person you are following turns to confront you.

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. Khaled Hosseini
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 12:20:18 am »
Ignore

It needs to be amended to make clear that following someone does not invoke the stand your ground provisions if the person you are following turns to confront you.
this

Win32
Rookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:37:35 am »
Ignore

I can't see any reason why the right to stand your ground should turn on whether you were following someone. If the person simply confronts you, that is one thing. If he moves to attack you, that is quite another.

That said, I haven't so much as glanced at the text of the statute, so I abstain from voting.

"[C]onsider what you think justice requires, and decide accordingly; but never give your reasons, for your judgment will probably be right, but your reasons will certainly be wrong." Attributed to Lord Mansfield

1828 presidential election: New Jersey results
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 12:45:22 am »
Ignore

Keep, of course, just like the people of Florida want. Unfortunately it seems on this forum so far I'm in a minority of one.

Well, you're not completely alone.

True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 09:12:40 am »

I can't see any reason why the right to stand your ground should turn on whether you were following someone. If the person simply confronts you, that is one thing. If he moves to attack you, that is quite another.

It's simple enough even a Republican should be able to understand.  When Martin turned to confront the person following him, he became the person standing his ground, not Zimmerman.

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. Khaled Hosseini
Win32
Rookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 09:44:07 am »
Ignore

I haven't delved into the facts of the Martin-Zimmerman case, which don't seem relevant here. But following someone, by itself and without more, is no threat of force, and certainly does not prevent the pursued from standing his ground. Indeed, in a typical case it means you want the person to stay situated, so you can talk to him.

"[C]onsider what you think justice requires, and decide accordingly; but never give your reasons, for your judgment will probably be right, but your reasons will certainly be wrong." Attributed to Lord Mansfield

1828 presidential election: New Jersey results
Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 12:46:41 pm »
Ignore

I'm mostly ambivalent on Castle Doctrine laws, but a duty should retreat should definitely exist when not on one's own property.

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 08:24:08 pm »
Ignore

Voted Amend It, should keep it.

I'm a teenaged male. Everything is wrong with me.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout