Greatest country in the world
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:40:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Greatest country in the world
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you agree that "The United States of America is the greatest country in the history of mankind"
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Greatest country in the world  (Read 5474 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2012, 06:30:33 PM »

(Americans only)

American politicians and Conservative pundits often refer to the US as "the greatest country in the world". Do you agree with this statement? If you agree, what does "the greatest country" mean to you? Most powerfull, best place to live in, highest level of civilization (science, technology, culture etc.) or something else.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 06:32:16 PM »

There's no way that the answer could be yes unless one is referring to power alone.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 06:36:22 PM »

I guess yes...
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 06:46:47 PM »

I disagree with the question. And the focus put on this topic. Our preoccupation with it has led to so many of the reasons why America cannot be considered the best...if there was even a way to measure that.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 06:47:52 PM »

Yes I do- and here I go firing a spitball when I am staring into the working end of a howitzer

I do not believe the USA is perfect- we have made many, many, many mistakes. But we have made most of these mistakes honestly in the pursuit of noble goals- and yes I consider our national security and national interests a noble goal. What I believe sets the USA apart from the British Empire (of the past- not in the past 70 yars or so) and the Romans and others throughout history who have had the greatest amount of power in the world is that we have used our power for good as opposed increasing our own power...

I believe no other nation on Earth has ever given up more of its money, sweat, or blood for the freedom of complete strangers... people call us the world's policeman and I agree that we should scale down our involvement in some conflicts that do not affect us directly- but that label shows that we have used our status as a superpower to fight injustice in the world where we see it...we haven't always been right but our intentions have been pure.

Even before we were a supoerpower, the idea of our nation has been more pure then any other in history-

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

We chose to put those words on a monument to our freedom that greeted so many coming to us for that very reason... we chose those words over a glorification of ourselves or our leaders or rulers. Sure the founders were slaveowners and Lincoln nowadays would be considered a racist- but our country has always moved in the direction of equality and openness...

I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 06:50:58 PM »

Yessir
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 06:52:15 PM »

Yes, I'm sure the Chileans were very happy to see their freedom preserved thanks to the altruism of the United States.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »

Yes, I'm sure the Chileans were very happy to see their freedom preserved thanks to the altruism of the United States.

It is amazing to me that people like you will ignore every bit of language I put into my post... "we have made many, many, many mistakes" or "we haven't always been right"

If you were more intent on having a legitimate discussion as opposed to being a smartass we would get somewhere...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 07:06:57 PM »

Always has been and always will be the United States -the last, best hope of mankind.  Sounds like a cliche, but I believe every word of it. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 07:15:04 PM »

It depends on the weights one gives varies factors, and therefore is highly personal and subjective.  I shy away from making such claims myself. It just smacks of hubris. It is better to walk a bit more humbly before your God - even if you are an atheist. Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 07:18:32 PM »

I'm not a conservative (obviously) but there is no such thing as the "greatest country in the world" unless you're a rah rah rah nationalist.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 07:33:18 PM »

Not by any objective measure, no.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 07:35:25 PM »

Denmark is better
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 07:41:37 PM »

I do not consider the United States exceptional, yet the question being asked is so complex and values-sensitive that no completely objective conclusion can be reached. I feel every country is either great or has latent potential to become great depending on the metrics used and how they are weighted. Despite the many inequalities between countries, I make a sincere effort to respect, discover things to admire about, and try to take note of other things to criticize regarding them all.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 07:45:22 PM »

I don't think it's the best country to live in right now, nor the one with the best system of government or policies. But overall in a historical context? Yes. And my definition of greatest is simply largest positive impact on the world.

For the record, I'd grant that cases could be made for other places as well but I think the US is a decent pick. 
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 08:10:12 PM »

FTFY
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 08:38:47 PM »

Definitely not.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 09:27:40 PM »

I've always found these types of questions to be useless because of how different people with different ideologies interpret them but I'd say that there is a good case for America being the greatest country in the world. There's also a good case for India or China being the "greatest" country in the world.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 09:52:30 PM »

Yes I do- and here I go firing a spitball when I am staring into the working end of a howitzer

I do not believe the USA is perfect- we have made many, many, many mistakes. But we have made most of these mistakes honestly in the pursuit of noble goals- and yes I consider our national security and national interests a noble goal. What I believe sets the USA apart from the British Empire (of the past- not in the past 70 yars or so) and the Romans and others throughout history who have had the greatest amount of power in the world is that we have used our power for good as opposed increasing our own power...

I believe no other nation on Earth has ever given up more of its money, sweat, or blood for the freedom of complete strangers... people call us the world's policeman and I agree that we should scale down our involvement in some conflicts that do not affect us directly- but that label shows that we have used our status as a superpower to fight injustice in the world where we see it...we haven't always been right but our intentions have been pure.

Even before we were a supoerpower, the idea of our nation has been more pure then any other in history-

We chose to put those words on a monument to our freedom that greeted so many coming to us for that very reason... we chose those words over a glorification of ourselves or our leaders or rulers. Sure the founders were slaveowners and Lincoln nowadays would be considered a racist- but our country has always moved in the direction of equality and openness...

This.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 09:59:40 PM »

No.  We've done a lot of things.  A lot of good things, a lot of great things...and we've done a lot of bad things and a lot of horrible things.  I don't think there is an answer to the "greatest country ever" question, but the odds would be against it being the US.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 10:02:42 PM »

This.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 10:13:03 PM »

This.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 10:25:42 PM »

To those who think the US is the greatest country in the world, please indicate why your country is better than the following countries:

A) Canada
B) UK
C) France
D) Denmark
E) Norway
F) The Netherlands
G) Australia
H) New Zealand

Thank you.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 10:29:50 PM »

To those who think the US is the greatest country in the world, please indicate why your country is better than the following countries:

A) Canada
B) UK
C) France
D) Denmark
E) Norway
F) The Netherlands
G) Australia
H) New Zealand

Thank you.
More of a role in the past century to advance freedom...

I think all these countries are great countries- including your nation of Canada which I have great respect and admiration for and have visited many times
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »

A) Canada
B) UK
C) France
D) Denmark
E) Norway
F) The Netherlands
G) Australia
H) New Zealand

Thank you.
I'm NOT saying we are better than them, but here is two things...checked the Soviets (admittedly with the help of the above) and put a bunch of men on the moon, got them back again.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies