Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 12:29:56 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Torie, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Greatest country in the world
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Poll
Question: Do you agree that "The United States of America is the greatest country in the history of mankind"
Yes   -16 (33.3%)
No   -32 (66.7%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Greatest country in the world  (Read 1843 times)
fezzyfestoon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2012, 01:06:41 pm »
Ignore

Too many people here are confusing "best" and "greatest".

best: That which is the most excellent, outstanding, or desirable.
greatest: Of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average.

That does confuse me. Differentiate them, please.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2012, 03:12:58 pm »
Ignore

I don't know why American right-wingers continue to reflexively love a country that has rampant abortion (that alone makes me despise the modern US) and spends an ungodly amount on hand outs and "humanitarian intervention" and all that other garbage. I have more respect for pre-downturn Ireland or Liechtenstein or one of the "asian tigers" or something like that.

Liechtenstein's by far the worst country in Western Europe.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2012, 03:28:46 pm »
Ignore

Best to live in, obviously not. Most powerful, obviously. Largest, not quite; most populous, nope.

It's a top level country, but I'd be reluctant to say it was the greatest when it only meets one of the four (of many) criterias I picked off the top of my head.

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2012, 03:36:23 pm »
Ignore

I don't know why American right-wingers continue to reflexively love a country that has rampant abortion (that alone makes me despise the modern US) and spends an ungodly amount on hand outs and "humanitarian intervention" and all that other garbage. I have more respect for pre-downturn Ireland or Liechtenstein or one of the "asian tigers" or something like that.

Pre-Downturn Ireland was a ridiculous place. It has much more serious problems now of course, but I really hope that it never was the best country in the world or close. Liechtenstein and the Asian Tigers? LOL no.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:42:28 pm by Mist »Logged

Quote from: DarqWolff
I'm kind of tired of citing these examples and I'm guessing you're getting tired of reading them... In closing, the people who know me in real life all respect me, as do a great many people in the Reddit brony community

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'
Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2012, 03:41:50 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, definitely.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2012, 03:49:49 pm »
Ignore

Your definition of "worst" is apparently very special.
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2012, 03:55:59 pm »
Ignore

Pre-downturn Ireland was, as the left in Ireland has started pointing out, voluntarily sacrificing its sociocultural framework by inches on the altar of profit, which is why the downturn happened. Then if you go further back you find that that sociocultural framework was itself Inksed-up in many ways. I love Ireland but it's not a country that seems to really admit of having 'golden ages'. Unless you go back to Brian Boru.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 04:02:13 pm »
Ignore

Pre-downturn Ireland was, as the left in Ireland has started pointing out, voluntarily sacrificing its sociocultural framework by inches on the altar of profit, which is why the downturn happened. Then if you go further back you find that that sociocultural framework was itself Inksed-up in many ways. I love Ireland but it's not a country that seems to really admit of having 'golden ages'. Unless you go back to Brian Boru.

The left (whoever they are) have hardly "started" to point that out. And by the way, despite the downturn, it is still doing that.

I'm kind of tired of citing these examples and I'm guessing you're getting tired of reading them... In closing, the people who know me in real life all respect me, as do a great many people in the Reddit brony community

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2012, 04:06:45 pm »
Ignore

It is a monstrosity.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 09:21:41 pm »
Ignore

It's hardly unusual. I suspect that a sizable portion of the Forum would agree.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2012, 10:07:22 pm »
Ignore

The left (whoever they are) have hardly "started" to point that out. And by the way, despite the downturn, it is still doing that.

Do you mean the left (again, such as it is) has been pointing it out for longer than I've been aware of it or that it hasn't actually started to be pointed out in any meaningful way? I'm going mostly by the new President's statements on the subject here, which I hadn't been hearing much of before him in years of following Irish politics with greater or lesser (admittedly often lesser) degrees of involvement.

I'm completely unsurprised that it's still going on. My point was that pre-downturn Ireland wasn't somehow all roses, because there is a reason why it turned into, well, post-downturn Ireland.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2012, 01:55:16 am »
Ignore

It's hardly unusual. I suspect that a sizable portion of the Forum would agree.

It ultimately comes down to the criteria you apply when labelling a country "best" or "worst", but in this case it takes a lot to come up with the bold claim Liechtstein is generally worse than any of its neighbour states or any Western European countries in general.

Indeed, Liechtenstein is an anachronism when it comes to the form of government, and I think it's negative how much power the Prince of Liechtenstein has. Yet, the country is in a state of change; a few days ago citizens launched a popular initiave to abolish the right of veto of their Prince - a step in the right direction. Liechtenstein has also been decried as a tax haven, which was justified and hypocritical at the same time because this criticism came from governments that tolerate the very same tax policies elsewhere. Yes, these are two of the problems Liechtenstein faces, but which country is perfect? Does that make Liechtenstein the "worst" country in Western Europe?

In fact, there are so many reasons to label Liechtenstein the "best" country in Europe. The standard of living in the country is high, unemployment figures are low, and so is the crime rate. There are no tensions in the country, no issues with the treatment of minorities, the health care system is first class etc. Unlike so many Western European countries which you apparently think are "better" Liechtenstein has not been directly involved in recent wars.

So, I think labelling Liechtenstein the "worst" country in Western Europe is a (leftist) knee-jerk remark which hinges on very few isolated criteria while a large number of positive facts are ignored.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:01:16 am by Assemblyman of the Mideast ZuWo »Logged
Passing Through a Screen Door
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2012, 02:19:45 am »
Ignore

If some random lily-white rural county in the US or comparable place in another European country somehow got independence and raised hordes of money as a banking and tax haven for several decades despite having only about 35k people, it too could easily put an end to unemployment and have a first class health care system. It's not a sustainable model for any country of a realistic size. I suppose it's somewhat hypocritical for countries like the UK and France to condemn Liechtenstein when the Cayman Islands and all the French Pacific islands exist as they do, but that's not really the point.

Victory over Inks dedicated in memory.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2012, 04:18:35 am »
Ignore

If some random lily-white rural county in the US or comparable place in another European country somehow got independence and raised hordes of money as a banking and tax haven for several decades despite having only about 35k people, it too could easily put an end to unemployment and have a first class health care system. It's not a sustainable model for any country of a realistic size. I suppose it's somewhat hypocritical for countries like the UK and France to condemn Liechtenstein when the Cayman Islands and all the French Pacific islands exist as they do, but that's not really the point.

First of all, the economy of Liechtenstein does not solely depend on banking. The industrial sector, for example, is a very important pillar of the country's economy as well. Secondly, by far not all of the money the banks of Liechtenstein has "hoarded" can be attribited to tax fraud or other illegal activities. Thirdly, Liechtenstein, by virtue of being a tiny country with few natural resources, can hardly pursue an economic model that would be suitable for big and powerful countries. The economy of a country of Liechtenstein's size is compelled to find certain niches in order to be prosperous. Fourth, in the recent years the government of Liechtenstein has undertaken numerous measures to fight money laundering as well as tax fraud and is on track to do away with immoral practices of its financial sector.  
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2012, 10:07:18 am »
Ignore

Do you mean the left (again, such as it is) has been pointing it out for longer than I've been aware of it or that it hasn't actually started to be pointed out in any meaningful way? I'm going mostly by the new President's statements on the subject here, which I hadn't been hearing much of before him in years of following Irish politics with greater or lesser (admittedly often lesser) degrees of involvement.

I'm completely unsurprised that it's still going on. My point was that pre-downturn Ireland wasn't somehow all roses, because there is a reason why it turned into, well, post-downturn Ireland.

The first one. Criticism of the Property-Finance-PolitcalParties-Vulgarity axis did not begin in 2007. At least the vulgarity has somewhat gone.

freefair
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2012, 11:19:13 am »
Ignore

Historically yes, at the moment is still one of many great free democratic nations in which to live.

If you're centrist to right wing do follow this link and participate in this timelime poll!!
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=186153.0
PM- Ecn +4.95 Soc -4.95
Pragmatically libertarian. Centrist by US standards, Tory in UK.
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2012, 02:38:33 pm »
Ignore

The first one. Criticism of the Property-Finance-PolitcalParties-Vulgarity axis did not begin in 2007. At least the vulgarity has somewhat gone.

I remember being astonished by just how lowbrow Sean Gallagher came across, and especially that it at times seemed to be intentional. It reminded me vaguely of George W. Bush but in some ways seemed even more pronounced, at least from my side of the Atlantic, because the man was literally a game show host. Though he, of course, lost the final round in a landslide (or what seemed like a landslide, there have been enough uncontested Irish presidential elections that I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a landslide in elections to the office) to a former sociology professor who writes poetry.

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2012, 05:28:49 pm »
Ignore

The thing about Gallagher was that he was the embodiment of the cult of the entrepreneur (which became very pronounced during the late Keltic Tigah period) - basically his whole campaign message was "I'm a successful entrepreneur, therefore vote for me" with the assumption behind it was that being a "successful entrepreneur" was the kind of positive value that represented all that was good about the Tigah and what would eventually boost us back to prosperity. The message had a lot of appeal with certain segments of the electorate (though certainly not with others).

Of course, near the end and after the campaign it was revealed that most of Gallagher's business 'success' was due in part to his political connections and in other part due to financial smoke and mirrors. So exactly like every other self-proclaimed "successful entrepreneur" during the era of stupidity and vulgarity known as the Keltic Tigah.

politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2012, 06:37:26 pm »
Ignore

Many posts on this thread are straying from the topic, so I am closing it now. I was curious about what that statement meant to Americans. To a European it is somewhat "over the top" even if it is understandable in many ways.
We didn't get around to the civilization/technology/culture part of "greatest". But that is definitely part of having the greatest impact on the world.

Every time I see Denmark I just want to punch it in the face...
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout