Female VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:06:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Female VP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Female VP  (Read 1020 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2012, 11:39:53 AM »

What are the chances of one of the major parties nominating a female VP?
How much did the Sarah Palin flop affect the chances of a woman becoming VP candidate?.
And do you think Hillary will swap with Biden and be Obama's running mate?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 01:44:04 PM »

I used to think Ann Richards would make a good VP candidate.

Palin won't much matter I think.  She has a fanbase, but most folks will remember her about as much as they remember Estes Keefauver. 

I hadn't thought of Hillary becoming VP.  She's actually good at her current job.  I hate to admit it because I've never been a fan of hers, but she's a good Secretary of State.  I say keep her there.

Romney could pick someone like Kay Bailey for Running mate, if he really wants to have a female VP, but there would be better choices among males.  Hey, maybe that's why Snowe isn't trying to keep her old senate seat.  Maybe she and Mitt have cooked up a deal to make her VP. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:49:54 PM »

It doesn't help the female empowerment cause that every female VP pick thus far has been a gimmick.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:58:39 PM »

It doesn't help the female empowerment cause that every female VP pick thus far has been a gimmick.

Depends upon how you define gimmick.

Geraldine Ferraro was a successful prosecutor and a member of the US House.  Sure, she was selected in part because she was a female, but as the first female and first Italian-American VP candidate, she helped the progressive cause of egalitarianism.  I think she was a serious candidate.

Some other female candidates, such as Ralph Nader's 2000 VP candidate Wynona LaDuke or 1980 Communist Party VP candidate Angela Davis, were probably gimmicks, but I don't think that you can say that all female VP candidates were gimmicks. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 07:22:52 PM »

Ferraro was a trailblazer in the days of the Equal Rights Amendment that didn't pass. I think that some change agent in the atmosphere like that can propel a female to the top of the ticket. Barring that, Hillary or Palin can't become VP or even Prez.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 08:14:11 PM »

If it hadn't been for Obamania, I think Clinton would be President today.  Of course, Palin's selection was so obviously a gimmick, and worse a gimmick that backfired, hence any woman candidate running for President or VP will be subject to extra scrutiny for a while.

If Kay Bailey Hutchison had succeeded in toppling Gov. Oops in 2010, or had not run for governor at all, she would have had a credible shot at being selected for the VP slot on the Republican ticket this year.

There are a number of credible possibilities for a female running mate in 2016 for both parties, tho more with the Democrats, simply because there are more female Democratic office holders than Republican.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 09:54:43 PM »

1.  On the Democratic side at least, there will be a strong push to have a woman somewhere on the ticket in 2016.  Clinton's run left unfinished business.

2.  I think Palin's flop did not hurt the chances at all.  Plenty of undistinguished male candidates have been nominated for VP or even served as VP *cough* Dan Quayle *cough.*  Palin has just shown undistinguished women can be nominated as well.

3.  There is no chance Hillary will be the running mate in 2012. 
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 05:59:35 PM »

I actually see Governor Susana Martinez of New Mexico as a possible VP candidate this year for Romney. Though she's really inexperienced (moreso than even Palin), she provides two things he lacks; Latino support and Tea Party credentials. Martinez won't last as a Governor past 2014 anyway, so it could be an advantageous pick if Romney wants to seem "multicultural".
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »

It also doesn't help that they both 1. overshadowed the candidate at the top of the ticket and 2. as desperation moves, were not properly vetted and ended up hurting the candidate.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »

I actually see Governor Susana Martinez of New Mexico as a possible VP candidate this year for Romney. Though she's really inexperienced (moreso than even Palin), she provides two things he lacks; Latino support and Tea Party credentials. Martinez won't last as a Governor past 2014 anyway, so it could be an advantageous pick if Romney wants to seem "multicultural".

Maybe if Santorum or a convention dark horse gets the nomination, but definitely not Romney.  The very last thing he needs on a ticket with him is another governor to remind the voters he was the Governor of Massachusetts and Romneycare.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 02:08:08 AM »

1.  On the Democratic side at least, there will be a strong push to have a woman somewhere on the ticket in 2016.  Clinton's run left unfinished business.

I agree.  I'd say the chances of either the presidential or vice presidential nominee for the Dems in 2016 being a woman is ~95%.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 03:26:44 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2012, 03:28:24 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Gillibrand seems like a 2016 possibility.  Of course if Andrew Cuomo gets the nomination, he'll choose someone from another state.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 02:54:55 PM »

Amy Klochubar is another possibility too. I'd say she be a good choice for Cuomo if he's the nominee. Can provide a Midwestern contrast while helping with the base.

Likewise, I think Gillibrand would be a good choice for Schweitzer.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 03:38:08 PM »

I echo the idea of Susana Martinez possibly being on Romney's ticket, therefore giving her a legitimate shot of being VP.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies