Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 03:28:20 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  Coup d'etat in Mali
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Coup d'etat in Mali  (Read 7365 times)
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2012, 08:44:12 am »
Ignore

Why does everyone have to be "clearly FF" or "clearly not FF"?
They don't. There is an element of FF in most rebel movements, as well as an element of oppression.
You can be a FF in one respect and an oppressor in another. Often FFs become the new oppressors themselves. Like Mao or Mugabe.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2012, 05:52:25 pm »
Ignore

Cissé is a northerner, of course; a Songhai I suppose?

I searched and while I didn't find anything definitive on his ethnicity, what I did find indicates that Cissé is a surname in use among the Mande peoples.  Possibly it is more widely used, but if not then he couldn't be Songhai.

In any case, given Cissé's politics, he will not be in favor of a separate Azawad.

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. — Khaled Hosseini
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2012, 04:07:07 am »
Ignore

Cissé is a northerner, of course; a Songhai I suppose?

I searched and while I didn't find anything definitive on his ethnicity, what I did find indicates that Cissé is a surname in use among the Mande peoples.
Certainly not exclusively. A quick search found Fula and Wolof people by the name. Of course, West African languages/peoples are not actually endogamous groups or anything, which is a large part of the reason why such info isn't widely available for townsfolk - their ethnicity is frequently not clearly defined (and countries certainly aren't encouraging ethnic definition, what with the threat to "national" unity and all).

In any case, given Cissé's politics, he will not be in favor of a separate Azawad.
No, of course not.
There was peace or near-peace in the north for the first twenty years of democracy though - as long as Touareg had some hope that democracy might lead to a fairer treatment of their grievances. here (second half) is a current interview with him on the issue, bearing in mind that he's running for President again.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2012, 11:24:56 pm »
Ignore

Mali coup leader rejects possible Ecowas intervention

Looks like Capt. Sanogo isn't planning on handing everything back to a civilian government after all.

The West African regional bloc Ecowas has said it is preparing a force of up to 3,000 soldiers, which could be deployed to wrest back control of the north.

Last week, Capt Sanogo formally asked for Ecowas's help in defeating the rebels, but in televised remarks on Monday night he said he was only asking for equipment and logistical support.

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. — Khaled Hosseini
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2012, 01:16:17 pm »
Ignore

Ansar Dine captures Tombouctou.

Um.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Burkina Faso

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2012, 02:10:54 pm »
Ignore

I think a new country's on the horizon.

Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2012, 03:29:03 pm »
Ignore

I think a new country's on the horizon.

This already happened.

Jbrase
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2012, 03:46:52 pm »
Ignore

I must have missed all of this. I thought there was just a coup, is a it a civil war now?

Lol at those who think Barrow will lose.
Are they trying to fit in as many junk polls before Tuesday as possible?
Glorious news! even Quinnijunk can't get condom hater outside the margin of error, Udall is on track to deliver a good whipping[/q
Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2012, 03:55:29 pm »
Ignore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azawad

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2012, 10:59:08 pm »
Ignore

Ansar Dine is destroying heritage sites in Timbuktu. Sad. And this was just recently part of a 2,3 Freedom House country. For once the US picked the right side in this war.
Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2012, 11:07:15 pm »
Ignore

Well I suppose once these guys get to the Djenne mosque we'll feel an urge to do something.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2012, 11:46:52 pm »
Ignore

Well I suppose once these guys get to the Djenne mosque we'll feel an urge to do something.

Djenne is not in Azawad, and even it were, the Islamists aren't targeting mosques in general but those that function as Sufi shrines.  While there are two tombs that are part of the Djenne mosque, I'm doubtful that even if the Islamists take the town that they would destroy the while mosque.

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2012, 04:11:51 am »
Ignore

They wouldn't be able to hold it long if they tried. Djenné feels kinda strongly about the place.

Snowstalker
YaBB God
Burkina Faso

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2012, 06:28:48 pm »
Ignore

Sad to see the destruction of such priceless monuments.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout