Coup d'etat in Mali (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:19:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Coup d'etat in Mali (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Coup d'etat in Mali  (Read 17148 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 01, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »

Considering the fact that the coup was supposedly to better fight the rebels, it seems like a pretty big failure so far.

Yes and no.  The troops were tired of being treated like expendables used to keep the Azawad part of Mali.  I hope folks haven't yet gone out ad bought new maps with South Sudan on it.  While the coup leaders have said they are restoring the constitution, they (or a restored civilian government) may decide to give the the rebels their independence rather than fight a war to retake what has been lost.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:29:47 AM »

Yeah Samake still has a better chance of becoming the first Mormon head of state then Mitt Romney.

After the Mormon brothers win their elections, they will move the national capitals to Timbuktu and Kalamazoo, and sign the Dr. Seuss Mormon brotherhood agreement.

WHOOOOOOOOOOO!  WHOOOOOOOOOOO!
wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!  wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

That is one of my favorite children's book from my childhood you are referencing there and The Train to Timbuctoo had absolutely nothing to do with Dr. Seuss as inimitable Margaret Wise Brown wrote it.

CLACKETY-CLACK!  CLACKETY-CLACK!
clickety-click! clickety-click!

Not even the same publisher, as Dr. Seuss was published by Random House and this classic gem was a Little Golden Book.

POCKETA-POCKETA-POCKETA-POCKETA
picketa-picketa-pcketa-picketa

Anyway, now that I've cleared that up, Goodnight jfern!

WHOOOOOOOO! WHOOOOOOOOO!
wheeeeeeeeee! wheeeeeeeeeee!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »

Also, another new country so soon after South Sudan? That would confirm all the fears of African heads of states and the West about redrawing African boundaries being a pandora's box best left unopened.

Worth noting that the country at stake in both cases straddled the Sub-Saharan "Black Africa"/North Africa-Sahara-divide.

Also worth noting that Mali was formerly known as French Soudan.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »

Denmarks Radio (DR) our public service TV channel. Normally reliable.

I doubt DR has its own reporter in Mali, and maybe not even in the whole of West Africa.  If they are getting their reportage from RFI or AFP, I would not be at all surprised to see it tilt towards the official Malian line,  While the MNLA and Ansar Dine did work together to drive out the Malian Army from the north, they have separate goals.  While the BBC has reported that Ansar Dine has indicated that they will impose sharia law on the areas they control, it has not reported that the MNLA has agreed with that and indeed it looks like they may start fighting with each other.

I suspect that one reason the MNLA has declared they won't be heading further south is that they hope Ansar Dine will head south and confront the Malian army and thus grind both of their foes down,  For much the same reason, I don't expect that even if they could launch an offensive to the north that the Malian Army will head north right now as they would want the MNLA and AD to start fighting each other.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »

Cissé is a northerner, of course; a Songhai I suppose?

I searched and while I didn't find anything definitive on his ethnicity, what I did find indicates that Cissé is a surname in use among the Mande peoples.  Possibly it is more widely used, but if not then he couldn't be Songhai.

In any case, given Cissé's politics, he will not be in favor of a separate Azawad.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 11:24:56 PM »

Mali coup leader rejects possible Ecowas intervention

Looks like Capt. Sanogo isn't planning on handing everything back to a civilian government after all.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 11:46:52 PM »

Well I suppose once these guys get to the Djenne mosque we'll feel an urge to do something.

Djenne is not in Azawad, and even it were, the Islamists aren't targeting mosques in general but those that function as Sufi shrines.  While there are two tombs that are part of the Djenne mosque, I'm doubtful that even if the Islamists take the town that they would destroy the while mosque.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies