Kim Jong-un's Barbaric Purge of 'Unsound' Military Brass
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 09:02:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Kim Jong-un's Barbaric Purge of 'Unsound' Military Brass
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kim Jong-un's Barbaric Purge of 'Unsound' Military Brass  (Read 1990 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:34:29 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:46:06 AM »

The trials of the new forum moderation infraction system have been progressing well.
Jacobtm

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:46:40 AM »

So killing people with bombs is barbaric dead0? I can't really see the justification for mourning the loss of North Korean military brass.

It's funny what you get excited over. Israel or The United States killing dozens of civilians with explosives isn't a big deal, but 1 North Korean official killed by an explosive is...
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 11:02:28 AM »

So killing people with bombs is barbaric dead0? I can't really see the justification for mourning the loss of North Korean military brass.

It's funny what you get excited over. Israel or The United States killing dozens of civilians with explosives isn't a big deal, but 1 North Korean official killed by an explosive is...

I think the point is that they were for the purposes of execution rather than warfare. It's certainly not the conventional way for killing someone.

That said, it appears that the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. Dear Successor may be every bit as crazy as his father was.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »

I think the point is that they were for the purposes of execution rather than warfare. It's certainly not the conventional way for killing someone.

That said, it appears that the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. Dear Successor may be every bit as crazy as his father was.

Actually, from the perspective of the Kims what they are doing is very rational, nothing really crazy about it. If it was, it would be unique. But this is quite normal for such states.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 01:21:11 PM »

Actually, from the perspective of the Kims what they are doing is very rational, nothing really crazy about it. If it was, it would be unique. But this is quite normal for such states.

I'm very well aware that megalomaniacs don't necessarily think their own behavior is odd. That doesn't mean it isn't odd or even crazy to the rest of us.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 01:31:42 PM »

The trials of the new forum moderation infraction system have been progressing well.
Yep. Reformers with results, the mod team are!

Oh, also
I can't really see the justification for mourning the loss of North Korean military brass.
Not that that absolves their murderer of guilt, of course, but these people knew what to expect.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 01:53:59 PM »

Not really sure what makes being blown up by a mortar any worse than being shot. If anything the mortar is probably quicker and less painful.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 01:58:04 PM »

If anything the mortar is probably quicker and less painful.
A point blank shot to the dead is one of the quickest and least painful ways to go. An explosion... well right at the center it's probably quite quick and painless as well, but there's a lot of factors to consider.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 08:25:29 PM »

Dude, I didn't write the title.  Calm down.  I'm not "mourning the loss of N. Korean military brass".
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »

If anything the mortar is probably quicker and less painful.
A point blank shot to the dead is one of the quickest and least painful ways to go. An explosion... well right at the center it's probably quite quick and painless as well, but there's a lot of factors to consider.

Yes, like the chance of it actually hitting you exactly. If it doesn't, it's a nasty way to go.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 11:30:09 AM »

I'm very well aware that megalomaniacs don't necessarily think their own behavior is odd. That doesn't mean it isn't odd or even crazy to the rest of us.

But it's not crazy, it can be easily reasoned to given the system they are in. Which of course does not diminish responisibility..
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 11:44:19 AM »

I'd take firing squad (actually, probably the easiest way to go out of major execution methods) over being blown up by a mortar any day.

That said, military purges in N. Korea are only vaguely newsworthy at this point.  It's to be expected.  Frankly, the macabre execution method is messy but at the same time is still far superior to traditional methods like hanging or electrocution.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 11:54:03 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2012, 11:59:51 AM by Kalwejt »

I'd take firing squad (actually, probably the easiest way to go out of major execution methods) over being blown up by a mortar any day.

That said, military purges in N. Korea are only vaguely newsworthy at this point.  It's to be expected.  Frankly, the macabre execution method is messy but at the same time is still far superior to traditional methods like hanging or electrocution.

Or even the lethal injection, considering a huge number of botched executions. It's basically a lottery, just like it was with the Old Sparky.

It's kind of ironic that "barbaric" method used "bad counties" (shooting) is, in fact, more humane than "humane" method, used by the U.S.

Of course, on the other hand, one would not be executed in the U.S. for being drunk during a period of mourning or similar offence.

In other words: if I were to face a capital trial, I'd, of course, prefer to stand one in the U.S., rather than, let's say, Belarus.

But, if I were to be executed, I'd rather be executed by shooting in Belarus, rather than play lethal injection lottery.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 12:00:30 PM »

Israel and the United States "killing dozens of civilians with explosives", as you phrase it, has, throughout history, almost always been a good thing. So, I have to say, would be a large-scale purge of the North Korean government (though if it trickles down to the average North Korean a la the Yezhovshchina, that would obviously not be a very positive development).
Jacobtm

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 03:36:58 PM »

Israel and the United States "killing dozens of civilians with explosives", as you phrase it, has, throughout history, almost always been a good thing.

So you support war crimes. Unsurprising.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 10:01:59 PM »

"White people ruin everything" was a better sig.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies