Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2014, 05:14:15 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  2016 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Politico: Biden may be laying groundwork for 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Politico: Biden may be laying groundwork for 2016  (Read 1891 times)
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:08:17 am »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/74335.html

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:32:10 am »
Ignore

If he were to run and win- he would  top Henry Clay's political longevity...
Now I doubt he wins and still doubt he runs... but kudos to the man for trying

Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:04:10 am »
Ignore

As a Biden fan, I can only say I wish him the best luck, despite all possible odds.
PPT TNF
TNF
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:26:58 am »
Ignore

I'd love to see Biden run in 2016. I think he'd make a fine president, all things considered.

Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 12:16:56 pm »
Ignore

Eh. Wish luck to the old dude.

lawlz
hcallega
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 12:28:59 pm »
Ignore

I think he's more focused on keeping his job than on running for President in four years. He has to prove to Obama that he's still a valuable asset. His recent pitbull mentality and frenetic campaigning have shown that while he lacks Hillary Clinton's political base, he is arguably a better campaigner. I've always been a fan of Biden, and would have a hard time opposing him if he ran in 2016, but I doubt that he's going to run.

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America."-President William Jefferson Clinton
"There is not a liberal America and a conservative America — there is the United States of America."-Senator Barack Obama
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 09:15:26 pm »
Ignore

LOL

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 10:01:10 pm »
Ignore

I think he might be collecting advisers not for a Presidential run, but for whomever he and President Obama deem worthy of their endorsement in 2016.
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 01:04:36 am »

Biden suggests running on a ticket with Hillary Clinton in 2016, then says he's "only joking":

link

"I think we may run as a team," Biden teased in an interview on NBC television to discuss his political future as President Barack Obama's right hand man in the White House, during the campaign leading to November's presidential election, and beyond.

"I'm only joking obviously. I don't know. I don't know whether I'm going to run and Hillary doesn't know whether she's going to run," the Democrat stressed.

He also insists he's not going to be replaced on the 2012 ticket by anyone:

"There is no question about it. There's no way out. They've already printed Obama-Biden (campaign posters)" he said. "You are looking at the vice presidential candidate of the United States of America."

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 01:06:15 am »
Ignore

Could his support or whatever of gay marriage be trying to ward of Andrew Cuomo?

I wonder how much it'd hurt him that Bin Laden wanted to assassinate Obama because he was less worried about Biden.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 01:44:11 am »
Ignore

I wish him luck if he splits the establishment vote. Maybe we could try putting in a left-wing president part deux(last-one turned out to be a moderate and a neo-liberal after getting some amount of campaign donations).
EmersonAdams
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -4.52

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 09:07:10 am »
Ignore

I'd like to see a president Biden; there are others I like more, but I'd happily cast my vote for him in a general election. It's possible that he runs (he's only a little older than McCain, and he still seams to have a strong energy and drive), but I'd give the odds at  10-1 against. Now, I think he's got a much better chance at being the king maker in 2016 for the democratic nomination, and the more he wins the support of the base, the better a position he'll have to be a king maker.

"The lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for." -Jefferson Smith ("Mr.Smith goes to Washington")
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 12:06:42 pm »
Ignore

Gosh darn, I would so prefer President Biden over President Obama. Obviously I wouldn't endorse Biden's best shot (no pun intended) at ascending to the office... but boy. Someone with leadership skills would be so nice.

President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 12:14:04 pm »
Ignore

I dont' believe there is any chance he would win- he may as well enjoy his time as Vice President. It is the 2nd highest office in the land and a great achievement...

Bull Moose Base
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 12:58:03 pm »
Ignore

Wonder if Biden would stay on as VP candidate if Hillary were nominated and asked him.  Not so crazy an idea if Obama's re-elected and his approvals inch up into mid-50s by 16, Hillary's are in 60s, Biden's as "Do No Harm" a pick as she could make.
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 01:31:56 pm »
Ignore

I could see it happening, but I think it would be detrimental to Democrats in the long run. You guys have a lot of up-and-coming stars that would be shafted if the ticket was Hillary-Joe. Some will argue that even Hillary has overstayed her welcome if she runs in 16'.

Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -4.35

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 12:47:43 am »
Ignore

I could see it happening, but I think it would be detrimental to Democrats in the long run. You guys have a lot of up-and-coming stars that would be shafted if the ticket was Hillary-Joe. Some will argue that even Hillary has overstayed her welcome if she runs in 16'.

I would tend to agree.  If either Clinton or Biden got the 2016 nomination, I would lean toward thinking they should choose a younger, rising star as a running mate.
Аverroës Nix
Averroës Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 10:12:04 am »
Ignore

I think we tend to underrate Biden's odds of being the 2016 nominee. If (in advance) it seems likely that the election will be a bad one for Democrats, he's probably the single most likely nominee. (In any other situation, I'd completely discount him.)

Bull Moose Base
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 12:37:41 pm »
Ignore

I think we tend to underrate Biden's odds of being the 2016 nominee. If (in advance) it seems likely that the election will be a bad one for Democrats, he's probably the single most likely nominee. (In any other situation, I'd completely discount him.)

I agree and there's two fairly plausible scenarios.  Obama's re-elected and there's another downturn by early 2015.  Or Romney wins this year and the recovery picks up a lot of steam.  Probably would be a lost cause but also Biden's last chance and for whatever reason, he seems more interested in trying a very uphill race than Hillary would be if it came down to it.
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 10:25:04 pm »

Sounds like Jill Biden is on board for another WH run from Joe, should he decide to go for it:

http://www.wcti12.com/politics/31159348/detail.html

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 06:17:41 am »

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/biden-looks-ahead-2016-election_650281.html

Vice President Joe Biden is looking ahead to the 2016 presidential election, according to a new ebook by Glenn Thrush.

"On scheduling calls with staffers from the Democratic congressional and Senate campaign committees, Biden’s representatives always seemed eager to deploy their boss in Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and Iowa— critical early primary states," Thrush reports. "They always wanted to know: ‘Do you have anything coming up in Manchester or Des Moines?’ It was pretty obvious,’ said one Democratic consultant who works for a handful of House incumbents."

Btw, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Biden would end up going nowhere in 2016.  Sure, if HRC doesn't run, then Biden will lead the early Democratic primary polls.  But most of his likely opponents have very low name recognition at present, and have nowhere to go but up.

Biden's supposed "gaffes" are pretty harmless as long as he's the #2 guy on the ticket, but if he ran for president again on his own, then in the modern Youtube/Twitter 24 hour media environment, his gaffes would completely take over the conversation about his campaign.

Reaganfan
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 04:00:52 pm »
Ignore

Vice President Joe Biden is looking ahead to the 2016 presidential election, according to a new ebook by Glenn Thrush.

"On scheduling calls with staffers from the Democratic congressional and Senate campaign committees, Biden’s representatives always seemed eager to deploy their boss in Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and Iowa— critical early primary states," Thrush reports. "They always wanted to know: ‘Do you have anything coming up in Manchester or Des Moines?’ It was pretty obvious,’ said one Democratic consultant who works for a handful of House incumbents."

Btw, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Biden would end up going nowhere in 2016.  Sure, if HRC doesn't run, then Biden will lead the early Democratic primary polls.  But most of his likely opponents have very low name recognition at present, and have nowhere to go but up.

Biden's supposed "gaffes" are pretty harmless as long as he's the #2 guy on the ticket, but if he ran for president again on his own, then in the modern Youtube/Twitter 24 hour media environment, his gaffes would completely take over the conversation about his campaign.

There will be no YouTube or Twitter in the year 2016. Only news in pill form.
Boris
boris78
YaBB God
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 01:11:07 pm »
Ignore

You think Obama be forced to endorse him in 2015 (assuming HRC doesn't run)? Would an HRC run allow Obama to stay 'neutral?'

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 06:36:07 pm »

You think Obama be forced to endorse him in 2015 (assuming HRC doesn't run)? Would an HRC run allow Obama to stay 'neutral?'

Obama won't endorse anyone in the 2016 primaries.  He'll stay neutral regardless, and let the voters sort it out.

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 10:07:28 am »
Ignore

Biden will have to hope that him entering the race will convince most of the other major contenders to stay out. In other words, kind of like what happened in 2000.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout