Anti-gay group sought to divide gays and blacks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:53:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anti-gay group sought to divide gays and blacks
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anti-gay group sought to divide gays and blacks  (Read 1064 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2012, 06:44:18 AM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpolitics/in-secret-documents-anti-gay-marriage-group-plott

The leading opponents of same-sex marriage planned to defeat campaigns for gay marriage by "fanning the hostility" between black voters from gay voters and by casting President Obama as a radical foe of marriage, according to confidential documents made public in a Maine court today.

The documents, circulated by the gay rights group Human Rights Campaign, are marked "confidential" and detail the internal strategy of the National Organization for Marriage.

“The strategic goal of this project is to drive a wedge between gays and blacks—two key Democratic constituencies," says an internal report on 2008 and 2009 campaigns, in a section titled the "Not A Civil Right Project."
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:15:08 AM »

This is news? The black population does not endorse homosexuality.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:26:19 AM »

Interesting comment thread I read a while ago: http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/q3ztt/a_maryland_republican_had_a_change_of_heart_after/c3uj0hp

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's something that we don't hear get brought up very often. Whenever people talk about the religious right, most people are picturing white, conservative pastors. But the black community is also very religious.[/quote]

homeboy5925

Homophobia runs rampant in the black community, and as a black man, it's very depressing to see even among successful blacks. But the reasons for it run a little deeper than religion. I think a lot of black people use religious arguments against gay marriage, but that's not the reason the stigma is originally there. If you really want to figure out why blacks hate gays, you gotta trace it back to slavery.

Due to slavery, black people (men in particular) were emasculated beyond belief. Being told that you're a second rate citizen and not having the means to provide for your family took a toll on people's pride and manhood. When black men were lynched, it was sometimes custom for their penises to be cut off as a sign of emasculation. Blacks were referred to as "boy" by white people, implying that they weren't men. In order to compensate for this, black men have always been expected to be very "manly", and the gay stereotype is that gays are feminine, so an obvious clash presents itself.

This train of thought was subliminally passed down from generation to generation and has evolved over time. The best example I can make for that mindset being present now is gang culture. In gang culture, there's a huge emphasis on "being hard", or in other words, "not showing emotion." A good friend of mine was an ex-gang member out in cali. He was a huge alcoholic and whenever he would drink he would start pouring his guts out to us about all the horrible sh**t he saw in L.A. in the 90's. He was telling us a story about how his 15 year old brother got shot. You could tell he wanted to cry but this idea of "being hard" was so engrained into his mind that he literally could not cry and ended up punching a hole in our wall.

I attended Morehouse College in Atlanta for a few years. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a Historically black, all male school. Martin Luther King went there, so did Spike Lee, Samuel L. Jackson, Hermain Cain (we don't claim him lol), and a lot of other really successful people. One thing people don't know about the school though is that there is an extremely large gay population and this has caused rifts in the school over time. It even went so far to the point where the school edited the Dress Code to include the fact that men cannot wear dresses and heels to class (this was rare and not even a problem, but it was a statement by the school that they vehemently opposed flamboyant homosexuality). This is from one of the most esteemed black colleges in the nation.

It's a little deeper than "the bible"
[/quote]

Racism and religion are true evils.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 01:10:20 PM »

Essentializing, totalizing, othering to further the politics of suburban spite? Who else but krazen!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 02:09:34 PM »

Essentializing, totalizing, othering to further the politics of suburban spite? Who else but krazen!

Who else?

You're referring to about 40 million people but none of them are me. I'm not black.

Any political organization will naturally seek support from the people on issues where they share a common goal.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »

Who else?

You're referring to about 40 million people but none of them are me. I'm not black.

Any political organization will naturally seek support from the people on issues where they share a common goal.

Well, leaders of plenty of black churches and anti-gay groups are of course essentializing, totalizing, and othering gay people, but I was referring to your essentializing, totalizing, and othering black people.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »

Who else?

Well, leaders of plenty of black churches and anti-gay groups are of course essentializing, totalizing, and othering gay people, but I was referring to your essentializing, totalizing, and othering black people.

Not to mention overt support of fanning the fans of racism and homophobia for political gain.

But hey, like he said, HE'S not black, or presumably gay (other than a deep closet case maybe). Why should he care.

As long as there's puppies to spit on, Krazen's happy.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »

IMO, their strategy for Hispanics is far more disgusting and much more worrying:

Quote from: Restricted

This exposes the NOM as a racist, anti-American organization which only cares about their pet issue to the exclusion of all others. They would rather permanently divide society along racial lines than let gays marry.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:59:56 PM »

This is the goal of a lot of right-wingers, to use racial tension to gain voters who have no economic interest in supporting far right candidates. They are that desperate.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2012, 08:32:39 PM by krazen1211 »

IMO, their strategy for Hispanics is far more disgusting and much more worrying:

This exposes the NOM as a racist, anti-American organization which only cares about their pet issue to the exclusion of all others. They would rather permanently divide society along racial lines than let gays marry.

Just when I thought I heard it all! Now its racist to posit a position that has been supported by the black community at the ballot box time and time and time again.

The one liberal to post facts here has shown the truth. This, uh, divide is some 160 years old.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 09:37:11 PM »

Just when I thought I heard it all! Now its racist to posit a position that has been supported by the black community at the ballot box time and time and time again.

The one liberal to post facts here has shown the truth. This, uh, divide is some 160 years old.

"Resistance" to "assimilation" is the sort of rhetoric that all racists use, whether they're White Nationalists, Black Panthers, or Aztlanistas. The issue here is not that they're opposing gay marriage, or even that they're tapping into the deep-seated opposition to gay marriage that exists in minority communities, it's that they're planning to use it as a racial wedge issue to play off segments of society against each other.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 11:19:34 PM »

It's not cool to point out the faults of minority groups.

It's funny, but it's not cool.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 09:46:46 AM »

You're so insightful.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 10:22:34 AM »

It has been tried before, and tried again, and the strategy so far has been a spectacular failure. Who knew?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2012, 10:50:33 AM by MechaRepublican »

People who don't like each other vote in the same party?

Color me shocked!

What I find amusing is that they think this is like a revolutionary strategy to divide groups when it's not.  I mean this isn't the Fourteen Points for crying out loud.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies