Are breed based "dangerous dog laws" EVER a good idea?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:08:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are breed based "dangerous dog laws" EVER a good idea?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are breed based "dangerous dog laws" EVER a good idea?
yes (D)

no (D)

yes (R)

no (R)

yes (I)

no (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Are breed based "dangerous dog laws" EVER a good idea?  (Read 1808 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2012, 03:28:04 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Seems unfair and racist (in a dog way) to me.  I've known good pit bulls (most of 'em) and scary pit bulls (one of 'em) just like I've known good...say, white people (most of 'em) and scary white people (more than one of 'em).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 05:15:08 AM »

They have some issues.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 05:29:38 AM »

It is racist, but it's not a problem since dog races do exist, while human races don't.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 05:36:05 AM »

Would "breedist" be better?

(or are you making a subtle comment about it being racist because such laws tend to affect hispanics and blacks more than crackers?)
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 10:19:01 AM »

Yeah, it's basically "racist" if that's the term we're using.

We don't have laws that label particular human races as dangerous, because that would cause mass public hysteria, so why have laws that label certain dogs as dangerous?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 11:52:37 AM »

We don't have laws that label particular human races as dangerous, because that would cause mass public hysteria, so why have laws that label certain dogs as dangerous?

Sigh...

Because  there's not such a thing as "human races". That's why.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »

I know little about the subject but my initial impression is dog breeds tend to differ to some extent in temperament and behavior. I reckon the fashion in which a dog is raised and the environment in which it is placed have considerable influence on how each individual tends to interact with human beings but, whereas human "races" are superficial and socially-constructed despite a lack of substantive genetic variation to justify doing so, a lot of dogs have been carefully bred to promote and/or discourage certain, specific physical characteristics and behavioral tendencies that probably warrant at least a wee bit of consideration.

Nonetheless, unless someone here exposes me to compelling arguments for why there should be breed-specific laws, I would much prefer that pertinent regulations be carefully designed to apply universally to all dogs rather than overly-stereotyping or even placing a stigma on certain breeds.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 02:44:47 PM »

Sigh...

Because  there's not such a thing as "human races". That's why.

Shhhh I meant skin colours Tongue I didn't specify Tongue Sorry xP
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 12:11:13 AM »

It's incredibly idiotic.  Pit bulls are sweet animals.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 12:15:54 AM »

I can't speak for rottweilers as a whole, but I grew up with a rottweiler who was the sweetest, most loving, most joyful dog you could ever hope to meet.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 12:24:42 AM »

I don't understand why anyone would want to own a pit bull.

"Woah, look at the jaws on that thing! I bet it could tear the wheels off a car! Oh, it bit a kid, what a surprise!"
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 01:34:55 AM »

I can't speak for rottweilers as a whole, but I grew up with a rottweiler who was the sweetest, most loving, most joyful dog you could ever hope to meet.

Aye, I recall a neighbor having a rottweiler before one my moves and she pretty much matched that description! Incidentally, the most aggressive dog I've met happened to be a chihuahua. xD
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 01:42:35 AM »

Regardless, even if it is technically more accurate, the term "racist" should never be applied to animals, because it denigrates the term by the implication that any treatment of animals can be equated to the mistreatment of humans through that ideology known as racism. In other words, if you lynch a black guy for being black, it's "racism", no worse than if you shot a black dog for being black. Which is ironic because the consideration of black guys as no better than dogs is a hallmark of racism. The very use of the term in this way, is, ironically, in itself racist.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 02:14:41 AM »

Where I come from I think it's a good idea. We have too much black people and rednecks with really aggressive pitbulls that will attack anything they can.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 03:03:43 AM »

Regardless, even if it is technically more accurate, the term "racist" should never be applied to animals, because it denigrates the term by the implication that any treatment of animals can be equated to the mistreatment of humans through that ideology known as racism. In other words, if you lynch a black guy for being black, it's "racism", no worse than if you shot a black dog for being black. Which is ironic because the consideration of black guys as no better than dogs is a hallmark of racism. The very use of the term in this way, is, ironically, in itself racist.

But any person can be a victim of racist crimes, so really it would have to imply that all people are no better than dogs. While a disturbing implication, it is hardly a racist one. Wink
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 03:05:39 AM »

Aye, I recall a neighbor having a rottweiler before one my moves and she pretty much matched that description! Incidentally, the most aggressive dog I've met happened to be a chihuahua. xD

See, that's the other thing: My uncle has a chihuahua who does not yap very much. NATURALLY.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 11:43:17 PM »

Doggy genocide.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »

There are some breeds of dogs that are tamer than others, but as a general rule the various breeds of Canis familiaris are sufficiently similar that laws differentiating between them are generally more trouble than they are worth.  However, laws restricting ownership of wild canine species or hybrids between domesticated dogs and and coyotes, dingos, jackals, and/or wolves definitely are a good idea.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 06:30:55 PM »

No they're never a good idea, it's not the breed that is the problem, it's dog-owners who lack the experience and time tp properly train their dogs. A much better idea would be Dangerous Dog-Owner Laws. (If we can't put them down at least keep them from owning dogs)   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies