Are you better off than 4 years ago
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:14:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Are you better off than 4 years ago
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Are you better off than 4 years ago
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 101

Author Topic: Are you better off than 4 years ago  (Read 6499 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »

In some ways yes, in one large way, no, and neither have anything to do with who's President.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 06:37:25 PM »

My father's still alive and cancer/aortic tear-free (well, mostly...).  So in a non-political sense, yes.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »

About the same.  Maybe a bit better, for multiple reasons.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 07:59:02 PM »

I'm probably doing a little better in that I've spent the last four years getting a degree instead of coming out of high school. My parents and siblings are, however, in a much worse place financially than four years ago.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 09:23:57 PM »

Personally? No, of course not.

Politically speaking, assuming this question is asked in context of the 2012 United States Presidential election, then the answer is yes, the US is objectively better off than it was four years ago given that at that time the country (and a lot of others) were on the brink of another Depression.
Colbert
France

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 05:31:33 AM »

http://www.shadowstats.com/

(note :  this is not an anti-obama site. sh**t began with deubeulyou )
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 07:55:23 AM »

immensely
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 08:18:55 AM »

In terms of anything the government can change, no.  In terms of economy, no.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 03:11:31 PM »

Answering as one of the few here who was "on my own" for the last four years:

My pay has decreased over the last 4 years from $50k full-time to $50k freelance, starting April 1. I spent much of the last 4 years unemployed, and much of the rest underemployed. That said, I have paid off all my credit cards, and got a nice lower mortgage rate thanks to TARP. So, the TL;DR is yes, significantly better off, though I credit Obama with virtually none of it.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »

Yes, a lot better.  Obama has almost nothing to do with it, except for creating a horsesh** health care reform law that has created a ridiculous amount of work for corporate health care attorneys like myself.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 03:38:27 PM »

Yes, not that it has much to do with Obama.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 04:10:04 PM »

Four years ago --

When I was discussing news with foreigners I was trying to separate my country as a nation from its leadership. The economy was at the start of the worst economic meltdown since the Great Depression, and few people then knew how bad it could be. The US had lost much of the credibility that it had when George H W Bush and Bill Clinton were President.  That is back.

My investments are finally doing well -- and I bought in in November 2009 -- and I figure that I could easily get some work if I didn't have a family situation in which I am an unpaid domestic servant/ nurse's aide who hopes that I can outlast my elderly parents and start to have a real life (you can probably tell that I am a poor fit for a hick town that is the only one in which those two sentimental geezers  could possibly live in and that I find insufferable). In my mid-50s, beggars can't be choosers when it comes to work. My life was a wreck before 2008, so that hasn't changed.

In 2008 we all had legitimate fear of a second Great Depression. That fear is no longer germane to my life. I consider that I could easily have ended up homeless and eventually in the morgue...
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 04:58:07 PM »

This question shouldn't be in the political board, should be in forum community or off-topic. Of course I am doing better, I moved out of a suburban sh**thole to go to college.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 05:28:14 PM »

This question shouldn't be in the political board, should be in forum community or off-topic. Of course I am doing better, I moved out of a suburban sh**thole to go to college.

This is a classic political question, Ronald Reagan built his re-election campaign in 1984 around it, this is the perfect forum for it.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 12:17:33 PM »

This is a classic political question, Ronald Reagan built his re-election campaign in 1984 around it, this is the perfect forum for it.

It's classic political rhetoric.  Just because it's used doesn't make it meaningful, and it has extremely limited utility in this election, which is basically a culture war with some collateral damage in the political center.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 12:46:26 PM »

My quality of life has been pretty static throughout.  It's probably why I find myself supporting the incumbent so often.

Emotionally, the fall of '08 was a severely depressing time for me, so you can say that things have vastly improved under Obama in that regard. Not that he has anything to do with it. 
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »

It's classic political rhetoric.  Just because it's used doesn't make it meaningful, and it has extremely limited utility in this election, which is basically a culture war with some collateral damage in the political center.
?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 06:10:23 PM »

No - My family and I are barely hanging on by a thread economically.  My mom works in the mortgage business - she has ok months and terrible months.  She recently, along with her boyfriend, had to downsize from a house to a condo.  Her boyfriend develops homes.  There has been no pickup in his business and people are not building new homes.  My brother is working 6+ days a week.  I am living off of loans while working - there are months where there's a downturn in ones week to week finances and one of us has to sacrifice to support the other.  We've each had a turn at this.  My aunt is close to being homeless because of money spent to take care of my grandma before she passed.  Even minor events effect our financial situation and a major event could put us all out on the street.

I have hope though that the career path Ive chosen will lead to me being able to provide security and protection for my family and get us back on track.  It won't be because of the president though.  He...I have no words for how much pain he has deliberately caused along with Bush.  And that's that.

"Deliberately caused"? Huh
Not going there Badger...that leads to a board meltdown and then personal attacks on my intelligence, neither of which I am in the mood for tonight.

Well, you threw that grenade out there, but whatever. If you rally believe Obama--or Bush for that matter--"deliberately caused" the economic pain our country is slowly recovering from, well, yes, I can see why you might have concerns about others questioning your intelligence.

On the subject, looking at the question again, I have to say absolutely--and just within the last year. New dream job, new dream home, the wife passed the torch on the non-profit art center she founded and has her life back now. Smiley The improving economy is just the icing on the cake.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 11:52:42 PM »

Blaming the lack of a social safety net and the cost of caring for the elderly on the national debt
A Thousand Word Response Essay by King

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2012, 10:18:10 AM »

Yes. I'm earning £4500 more, have moved out of the family home and the changes to the taxation system has meant I've been earning more and paying less each year. I don't drive, don't smoke and I walk to work. I've been going to the gym and put on about 60pounds. I've also grown into my face and look better than I did when I was 24. So it's been good.
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2012, 11:49:12 AM »

Do I have a heightened opinion of our government/government in general now than I did four years ago? Absolutely not.

Am I in a better state of mind now than I was four years ago? Absolutely not.

So, no.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2012, 09:24:01 PM »

No - My family and I are barely hanging on by a thread economically.  My mom works in the mortgage business - she has ok months and terrible months.  She recently, along with her boyfriend, had to downsize from a house to a condo.  Her boyfriend develops homes.  There has been no pickup in his business and people are not building new homes.  My brother is working 6+ days a week.  I am living off of loans while working - there are months where there's a downturn in ones week to week finances and one of us has to sacrifice to support the other.  We've each had a turn at this.  My aunt is close to being homeless because of money spent to take care of my grandma before she passed.  Even minor events effect our financial situation and a major event could put us all out on the street.

I have hope though that the career path Ive chosen will lead to me being able to provide security and protection for my family and get us back on track.  It won't be because of the president though.  He...I have no words for how much pain he has deliberately caused along with Bush.  And that's that.

"Deliberately caused"? Huh
Not going there Badger...that leads to a board meltdown and then personal attacks on my intelligence, neither of which I am in the mood for tonight.

Well, you threw that grenade out there, but whatever. If you rally believe Obama--or Bush for that matter--"deliberately caused" the economic pain our country is slowly recovering from, well, yes, I can see why you might have concerns about others questioning your intelligence.

On the subject, looking at the question again, I have to say absolutely--and just within the last year. New dream job, new dream home, the wife passed the torch on the non-profit art center she founded and has her life back now. Smiley The improving economy is just the icing on the cake.
I'm happy for you that you are doing well and congrats on the art center.  I don't agree with you on an improving economy - at least in the metrics that matter to the poor and middle class: gas prices, food prices, inflation and jobs.  I do really believe both Bush and Obama plotted and planned to hurt people in favor of their business and ideological allies.  I just prefer not to discuss that because it leads to irrational questioning of intelligence.  All I put forward is a different theory of events that occur.  People refuse to accept the school of thought that we are led by a group of charlatans who seek unlimited power, privilege and control.  Just because someone else doesn't agree with what I believe, does not make me wrong or of limited intellectual capacity (and vice versa).  Forums are for discussion and debate - not personal attacks (unless they are attacks ascribed to those in the public arena).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies