Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 06:41:56 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  Petition to un-mod Inks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Petition to un-mod Inks  (Read 2957 times)
Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2012, 05:01:17 am »
Ignore

Ok, this needs to be done. Hopefully if we are enough we will get Dave to care about this.

X Antonio V

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:33:35 am »
Ignore

The word is demod.

x Lewis

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
--
Kalwejt
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 07:13:52 am »
Ignore

x Kalwejt
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 07:43:33 am »
Ignore

as it goes without saying, x Boss Tweed.

I'd also move for a mass 're-sentencing' of every infraction doled out by Inks over the past three months.
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 09:07:34 am »
Ignore

This is not for Dave, but I hope that others will notice.

x Nix

Thank You, Jon Lester
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.55, S: -7.91

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 09:29:38 am »
Ignore

x 20RP12

Paul Kemp
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 10:43:35 am »
Ignore

xDC/PK
A.G. Snowstalker
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: -4.96

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 11:09:47 am »
Ignore

xSnowstalker

Passing Through a Screen Door
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 11:11:39 am »
Ignore

X BRTD

Victory over Inks dedicated in memory.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 11:56:23 am »
Ignore

Inks is not the problem, but there are two problems:

1) the infraction system, esp in regarded to trolling and flame wars on the FC Board.
2) some Mods taking their jobs too seriously, seeing a threat around every corner, and continuing to argue for the current system that has done nothing but turned friends into foes.

we can have a system that protects the site from filters yet provides the level of fun we are seeking...all it would take is an agreement between posters and Mods

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y_GLT4_9I

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Coming for to carry me home,
A band of angels coming after me,
Coming for to carry me home.

Swing low, sweet chariot,
Coming for to carry me home.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 12:12:43 pm »
Ignore

1) the infraction system, esp in regarded to trolling and flame wars on the FC Board.
2) some Mods taking their jobs too seriously, seeing a threat around every corner, and continuing to argue for the current system that has done nothing but turned friends into foes.

we can have a system that protects the site from filters yet provides the level of fun we are seeking...all it would take is an agreement between posters and Mods

This.

Lettuce Gay Bacon and Tomato
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 12:14:11 pm »
Ignore

xTheObamanation

Convincing BRTD to drop the Sneakers O'Toole BS is like convincing Sneakers O'Toole to take his sneakers off.

(I realize I'm probably just further encouraging him by saying that, and for this I apologize.)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 12:50:23 pm »
Ignore

X Sam Spade (esteemed former Mod)
patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 01:13:14 pm »
Ignore

Anyone else find it humorous that the owner of the site doesn't visit the forum and his designated representative doesn't use it?  Meanwhile dozens or hundreds waste countless hours on it.

As for Inks, I think he enforces the rules as they are written and perhaps not how it should be enforced.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:19:29 pm by patrick1 »Logged
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 01:14:59 pm »
Ignore

It's abundantly clear that he's lost the confidence of the Forum.

X Xahar

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 01:35:05 pm »
Ignore

It's abundantly clear that he's lost the confidence of the Forum.

I thought that was a qualification for the position. Tongue

Herman Cain's Gold Chain
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 01:39:02 pm »
Ignore

X Lief

Mikado needs to be demodded as well:

Of course Mikado should resign as well. He's generally just as bad as Inks.

I feel like he's overplaying moderator solidarity. "We need to unite because if we don't those damn anarchists will exploit our divisions and turn the forum into a massive trollfest, so even though Inks has gone a bit too far in my view I'm still gonna defend him."

Inks did run this by me beforehand via PM and I signed off on it.

(Part of the 2012 Election Throwback Series)
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 01:42:25 pm »
Ignore

Exactly. Not to mention we had this for around 6-7 years as well. We need to look at what's gone wrong and revert from that.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
and all is well until the heart betrays
Pingvin99
YaBB God
Estonia

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 01:57:57 pm »
Ignore

xPingvin

Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 02:00:24 pm »
Ignore

Exactly. Not to mention we had this for around 6-7 years as well. We need to look at what's gone wrong and revert from that.

Let's be honest. Intellectual honesty is the best ally of a sound and intelligent critique.

When I joined (feb 2009), the forum was clearly suffering from lack of moderation. There were stupid trolls everywhere and people had to cope with them because no matter how stupid they were, nobody could make them shut up. Most of us lost an enormous amount of time engaging in useless fights with said trolls. It sucked. It started sucking even more when a sociopath from Bakersfield, CA, decided to take over the forum with his army of follower. The year 2010 was absolutely awful, as all energies were spent in dealing with Kyle's attention whoring, Libby's conspiracy theories etc. Something needed to be done and, eventually, something was done. Mods finally waked up and banned Hamilton, then banned his socks, then banned Libertas, then banned Derek, then banned HoffmanJohn. We got rid of the people who made this forum a hell. Dave gave Nym the power to ban posters, and this eased things significantly : finally, we didn't have to wait for 3 months before a public nuisance was duly eliminated. This is a great progress, and we need to acknowledge it.

Now, the problem is not that of a system, it is that of attitudes. It is that some moderators consider it normal to apply ridiculous standards (regarding profanity, regarding banning socks - see the Jake case - or, recently, regarding what is deemed trolling), which, instead of allowing the forum community to prosper, is stifling it. All we want to achieve is to get these moderators to know that the new rules they want to set (since recently) are unworkable and would lead to the forum's death. And, for those who are too obtuse to understand it, have them removed.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 02:14:09 pm »
Ignore

I think infraction points as I noted in my other thread have resulted in an inability to distinguish between the spirit and letter of the law. The banning of Jake Matthews over his fairly harmless sock is a great example, especially when equivalents exist in the real world where one is not charged with the full crime if there's extenuating circumstances. In some states laws on computer hacking are written so vaguely that they could constitute someone using someone else's unsecured wi-fi connection. And that's a felony. Now would anyone support going around charging people who steal wi-fi from non-secured connections with a felony?

Inks is such a crazy stickler for the rules it doesn't surprise me, for example him talking about how he thinks marijuana should be legal but if it's not does support arresting and throwing the book at people who break the law and refusal to ever consider jury nullification. The question should be asked if this is the type of personality you want in someone involved in any type of law enforcement, it's basically what a Knight Templar is.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 03:34:38 pm »
Ignore

People seem generally very unaware of what kind of forum Dave wants to have.

The deluge thread was a thread devoted to personal attacks. Talk about stopping it has been going on for a while and I think the only reason it didn't happen earlier was because everyone knew the usual suspects would take out the pitchforks over it.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
--
Kalwejt
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 03:57:06 pm »
Ignore

The deluge thread was a thread devoted to personal attacks. Talk about stopping it has been going on for a while and I think the only reason it didn't happen earlier was because everyone knew the usual suspects would take out the pitchforks over it.

And yet this thread was obviously fine until one day Inks woke up and logged in.
Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 04:11:33 pm »
Ignore

It was harmless since it was quotebacks.......the absurd posts will continue, just not be memorialized. 

Sadly my friend Inks has indeed gone off the deep end either with Mikado's silent consent or outright approval.

When Alcon didn't have a life and did it by himself we didn't have threads like this......

It's just a sad state of affairs here anymore.
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 04:18:26 pm »
Ignore

If anything that thread DECREASED flame wars and whatnot, people would simply post absurd posts in it instead of going in tit for tat retaliation in the original thread like before it, or making the "Wow is this the stupidest thing you've ever read on this message board?" type polls/threads that were so common before it.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout