Greatest military leader in history
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:47:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Greatest military leader in history
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who was the best military leader?
Zhukov

Alexander the Great

Attila the Hun

Napoleon Bonaparte

Robert E. Lee

Rommel

Ghengis Khan

Joan of Arc

Saladin

Hannibal

Julius Caesar

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Greatest military leader in history  (Read 6393 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 07:09:27 PM »

dead0man- I agree with your analysis of Lee...McClellan and Burnside gave him glory thru their failures

Just out of curiousity, and I hope this doesn't derail the thread, but had Lee commanded the Army, would Dixie would've gone down sooner or later?  And who was the best man for the job?  Fremont?  Grant from day one?  Or keep Scott?  Or something else?  I'm sorry but I just wanted to know your opinions.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »

dead0man- I agree with your analysis of Lee...McClellan and Burnside gave him glory thru their failures

Just out of curiousity, and I hope this doesn't derail the thread, but had Lee commanded the Army, would Dixie would've gone down sooner or later?  And who was the best man for the job?  Fremont?  Grant from day one?  Or keep Scott?  Or something else?  I'm sorry but I just wanted to know your opinions.

Had Lee stayed with the Union then like McDowell he would have roundly pilloried after losing Bull Run, so McClellan still ends up being promoted to Maj. Gen. first and placed in charge of the Army of the Potomac.  As the ranking brigadier, Lee gets command of I Corps of the Army of the Potomac when Lincoln becomes impatient and appoints corps commanders for McClellan based on seniority.  As such Lee is likely in charge of the III Corps of the Army of Virginia when Cedar Mountain is fought.

If Lee is bold enough to take the objective of Gordonsville when he learns that Banks and Jackson are fighting again near Cedar Mountain (and if the terrain permits such a move which I am not certain of) then perhaps Halleck does not order Pope to go on the defensive after Cedar Mountain.  Such a result is even more likely since there likely is no Seven Days Battles if Lee in not commanding the Army of Northern Virgina.  Hence Pope can close in on Richmond from the north and either the Army of Northern Virginia retreats from Richmond or Richmond falls to a siege that autumn.

If Halleck orders the Army of Virgina to take a defensive stance after Cedar Mountain anyway what happens next is cloudy.  With no Seven Days to drive the Army of the Potomac to Berkeley Plantation, I can't see Longstreet being sent north to join Jackson in an attack on the Army of Virginia.  There are enough butterflies possible at this point that any number of alternate histories could written with this as the starting point.

However, what is common to both forks of what happens after Cedar Mountain is that unless the Union forces in the east have a major collapse at some point or Lee is sent out west, it is doubtful that Lee rises any higher than Corps command after being removed from command of the Army of Northeastern Virginia after the Battle of Bull Run.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 05:12:35 PM »

Khalid is my pick.  His undefeated military record coupled with the scope of his success is rivaled only by Alexander.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 11:50:48 PM »

....and greatly surpassed by Genghis.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 12:54:36 PM »

Mao
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 01:14:25 PM »

Being excellent at killing poor farmers doesn't make one a great military leader.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »

Zhu De and Lin Biao were probably the best senior military leaders that the Chinese Communists had.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 02:18:22 AM »

No Tweed is right... Mao didn't become superior to Zhu De and Lin Biao due to his superior civilian and administrative skills.

But my vote is for Khalid ibn al-Walid.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2012, 07:56:43 AM »

Subutai, hands down. Conquered more territory than any other general in history.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies