Greatest military leader in history (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:02:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Greatest military leader in history (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who was the best military leader?
Zhukov

Alexander the Great

Attila the Hun

Napoleon Bonaparte

Robert E. Lee

Rommel

Ghengis Khan

Joan of Arc

Saladin

Hannibal

Julius Caesar

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Greatest military leader in history  (Read 6471 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: March 26, 2012, 04:58:59 PM »

Patrick1- I am very familiar with Mahan and that is very relevant...he also inspired the Great White Fleet

I agree with you that sea power is being very underrated.  I quite like the quote below.

"When word of a crisis breaks out in Washington, it's no accident that the first question that comes to everyone's lips is: 'Where's the nearest carrier?'"

President Bill Clinton

The US is in many ways an island nation because of the isolation of America from the rest of the world so of course naval power - especially air carriers - are important to you. But if we look at military leadership throughout history most of the important campaigns have been fought on land.

Pretty much the same could be said about the British Empire. Due to being an island nation they needed a strong navy to defend themselves (British ground forces were almost always quite weak when compared to other powers), as well as to become a global power.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As of my country, the situation was totally opposite. We never relied on the navy and when Poland was a great power, we were land-based power. At some point, Polish-Lithuanian Navy was consiting just a few corsair ships at Baltic Sea. Well, our geographic location speaks for itself.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies