Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 10:44:45 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Trayvon Martin was serving suspension for marijuana possession
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Trayvon Martin was serving suspension for marijuana possession  (Read 1645 times)
Simfan34
YaBB God
Ghana

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2012, 02:41:43 pm »
Ignore

The Florida neighbourhood watch volunteer who killed Trayvon Martin told police that the teenager punched him to the ground and began pounding his head into the pavement, it has emerged.

Martin was shot dead a month ago by George Zimmerman, who had called 911 to say he had spotted the teenager acting suspiciously in his gated community. Martin, 17, was returning to his father's girlfriend's house from the local convenience store armed only with iced tea and a packet of Skittles.

Details of Zimmerman's account came as a spokesman for Martin's family disclosed that he was serving a suspension from his school in Miami after traces of marijuana residue were found in his book bag. "We maintain that regardless of the specific reason for the suspension, it's got nothing to do with the events that unfolded on February 26," Ryan Julison said.

Martin's mother, Sybrina Fulton, said Monday that unnamed investigators were trying to destroy her son's reputation. Sanford police say it's possible the information was leaked to the media, but it was not authorised.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/26/george-zimmerman-trayvon-martin-police-report?newsfeed=true
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:48:44 pm by Mr. Moderate »Logged

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 02:44:09 pm »
Ignore

How is that relevant?

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 02:51:07 pm »
Ignore

How is that relevant?

For character assassination purposes.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 02:53:34 pm »
Ignore

How is that relevant?

For character assassination purposes.
I think Mr Martin has been assassinated plenty already.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 02:54:50 pm »
Ignore

It is not relevant to the facts of the case...but does disprove the media claims that Trayvon was a "model student"

As I have said- I believe Zimmerman should be arrested from what I know of the case... but this has been taken into overdrive and he has been given trial by media when the facts are still murky...

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 02:58:27 pm »
Ignore

"traces of marijuana residue" =/= to "marijuana dealing"

CaDan would say "stop lying".
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 02:59:50 pm »
Ignore

It is not relevant to the facts of the case...but does disprove the media claims that Trayvon was a "model student"

Academically he was apparently very good and this doesn't exactly make him a horrible delinquent, but totally agreed that he doesn't have to have hagiographies written about him for the person who shot him in the chest under unclear circumstances to be arrested.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 03:03:34 pm »
Ignore

Nathan- as usual you are reasonable and I agree...I also want to point out how Zimmerman has been represented as white. He is a Latino or  a Mestizo... once again- this does not change the case at all but it shows media looking for a better story

Nhoj
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 03:09:00 pm »
Ignore

"traces of marijuana residue" =/= to "marijuana dealing"

CaDan would say "stop lying".
Yeah that sounds more like he had some in his bag at one time for personal use. Hardly proof he was a dealer.

آزادی برای ایران

Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 03:09:28 pm »
Ignore

Nathan- as usual you are reasonable and I agree...I also want to point out how Zimmerman has been represented as white. He is a Latino or  a Mestizo... once again- this does not change the case at all but it shows media looking for a better story

Thing is, admitting that Zimmerman is not in fact a white man doesn't even make the whole race angle go away, since it's entirely possible and indeed rather common for racial friction to exist between blacks and Hispanics. Sadly, the pushing of the white-black dichotomy has damaged the credibility of the entire subject of race relations in this case, which is definitely something that deserves to at least be discussed seriously, among people who aren't already inclined to interpret it that way.

Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 03:14:36 pm »
Ignore

What does smoking weed have to do with being a model student? You can definitely do both. I am appalled by this defense of Zimmerman by character assassination of Martin. That bastard should fry.
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 03:17:26 pm »
Ignore

What does smoking weed have to do with being a model student? You can definitely do both.

What in the world gives you cause to think that, sbane?  Tongue

I updated my post on the Obamacare thread by the way on the tax versus fine thing. SCOTUS has given us a clue today. Check it out.
Invisible Obama
DrScholl
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 03:21:07 pm »
Ignore

The subject line is incorrect, there is nothing in article that says Martin was dealing drugs, let's keep the facts straight.

It has also come out that Zimmerman pushed his fiancee because she wouldn't give him some papers he wanted, so I think that past history of violence is far more relevant to this case.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.55, S: -7.91

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 03:21:19 pm »
Ignore

How is that relevant?

Because apparently if someone smokes pot, they're a violent criminal.

I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 03:48:27 pm »
Ignore

ENOUGH! Stop already! Let the poor guy RIP! It's disgusting how some people feel like they can just walk over someone's grave spreading hate.

fezzyfestoon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 03:56:08 pm »
Ignore

This is sick
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 04:25:43 pm »
Ignore

I for one believe that all marijuana users are dangerous criminals who deserve to be shot.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do
Old Europe
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 04:27:29 pm »
Ignore

Pot-smoking, hoodie-wearing negroes beware! The neighborhood watch is on the loose again.

Yank2133
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 04:37:25 pm »
Ignore

Christ, are people that desperate to make Zimmerman look better?
oakvale
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 04:40:10 pm »
Ignore

Black people are really scary!

Senior Associate Justice of the Supreme Court in Atlasia.

GRIMES FOR KENTUCKY SENATOR
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 04:57:31 pm »
Ignore

Again, whatever you say about Martin, the fundamental fact in this case is: Zimmerman started the confrontation, Zimmerman was armed while Martin wasn't, and Zimmerman fatally shot Martin.  Period.  I don't care if Martin was a delinquent (and there's no real evidence he was): even if he was, it doesn't change the previous sentence.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 05:18:13 pm »
Ignore

Again, whatever you say about Martin, the fundamental fact in this case is: Zimmerman started the confrontation,

I'm not certain of that one; I'd like to see some specifics first.

Zimmerman was armed while Martin wasn't, and Zimmerman fatally shot Martin.  Period.  I don't care if Martin was a delinquent (and there's no real evidence he was): even if he was, it doesn't change the previous sentence.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
BigSkyBob
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 12:01:00 pm »
Ignore

As I have said- I believe Zimmerman should be arrested from what I know of the case... but this has been taken into overdrive and he has been given trial by media when the facts are still murky...

Indirectly, it was quite relevent to the case. Martin was videotaped at his school spray painting the letters "WTF." The next day, his backpack was searched to confiscate any spray paint. While they did not find any spray paint, they did find some women's jewelry, and a screwdriver they described as a burglary tool. They, also, found a bag with traces of marijuana residue.

Everybody has just assumed that Zimmerman "racially profiled" Martin. Another possibility is that there was burglary suspect in the neighborhood whom was tall, Black, and very thin, and Zimmerman noticed he fit the description. Another possibility is that Martin was in fact a burglar, and was acting in a suspicious manner. Another possibility is that Martin fit the description of a burglar in Martin's father's neighborhood because Martin was in fact that burglar.

The real scandal in Washington is not the bribery, corruption, or sex. It is how poorly we are governed.
King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 12:17:23 pm »
Ignore

Since when is trace amounts of residue intention to distribute?

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 01:04:27 pm »
Ignore

I guess Floridian dealers are practicing new cost saving techniques since the Recession.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout