Why do people self-segregate by race? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:47:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why do people self-segregate by race? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do people self-segregate by race?  (Read 8959 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: March 28, 2012, 12:06:17 AM »

It's only marginally related, but I saw this chart today and it amused me.

And yet Asian-Americans are far behind Jewish-Americans in terms of the number of famous, super-successful individuals. Doing good in school is great, but real life is more important.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 03:19:50 PM »

It's only marginally related, but I saw this chart today and it amused me.

And yet Asian-Americans are far behind Jewish-Americans in terms of the number of famous, super-successful individuals. Doing good in school is great, but real life is more important.

I'm pretty sure Asians have the highest median income.And some Asian groups have a higher median income than Jews. Not sure about "famous" though.

Well, the median income figure could just be a side effect of that having a good education guarantees you a floor, with a "decent" income. But a lot of dentists and doctors and lawyers make perfectly good incomes yet in the long run are they interesting people? Do they influence society? Are they creative workers? Do they take risks?

What I am talking about is different. You know it when you see it. But it definitely is more than just income. I'm just saying that, looking at that list of impressive high schools, and looking at Asians' test scores and representation at the top colleges (even with all the bias), their punching weight in terms of this other thing (I hesitate to call it 'real success', although perhaps the most concise expression is that kind of life which represents what has made America great) doesn't seem to fully live up to all the promise of the statistics. So that either clicked with you or it didn't, but it's real and it's overlooked whenever the whole 'model minority' stuff is brought up.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »

Anyone who reads this thread ought to have the self-fulfilling prophecy alarm going off fast fast...  Asians don't advance into the top ranks because their employers are OK with claiming they're "not creative" or whatever.
http://nymag.com/news/features/asian-americans-2011-5/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_ceiling

The bottom link is pretty good.

You need three variables: intelligence, conscientiousness, and curiosity.

The sterotypical people Beet is talking about are high-intelligence, high-conscientious, but low-curiosity.

That's why they know the stuff they learned in school (they were smart enough to grasp it and diligent enough to put in the work) but they know nothing that wasn't assigned in class because they don't value learning things for the sake of knowing things, instead of learning things to get a grade.

That's a good point. Personally, I would consider myself high-intelligence, medium-to-high curiosity (it isn't as high as it once was, alas), but medicore conscientiousness.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies