Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 21, 2015, 10:49:38 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  Why did Carter do so well in the plains?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why did Carter do so well in the plains?  (Read 233 times)
ElectionsGuy
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.48, S: -7.48

P P
View Profile
« on: Today at 04:02:29 pm »
Ignore

Or in other words, why did Ford do so bad. This is Republican territory yet North Dakota only was 52-46 for Ford, South Dakota 50-49, Kansas 52-45, and Oklahoma 50-49. Yet Nebraska went 59-38 Ford. Did Carter do better than traditional Democrats in rural areas because of some sort of appeal. Did the 'good old Democrat' nature of his candidacy that won him nearly every southern state have an affect here? I'm struggling to figure this out, and why Nebraska was so Republican too.
tara gilesbie
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:05:39 pm »
Ignore

Watergate fatigue, but mostly because the 1973-75 recession was especially hard for agriculture.

Quote from:  My Immortal
“What do you know, Hargrid? You’re just a little Hogwarts student!”

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT….” Hargirid paused angrily. “BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”

“This cannot be.” Snap said in a crisp voice as blood dripped from his hand where Dumblydore’s wand had shot him. “There must be other factors.”

“YOU DON’T HAVE ANY!” I yelled in madly.
Rockefeller GOP
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:08:03 pm »
Ignore

Oklahoma can largely be explained by the traditionally Southern Democratic areas in the southeastern part of the state; Ford did extremely well in the more developed areas like OKC.

"That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence built"

- Abraham Lincoln

Economic: +1.94
Social: -2.96
Hydera
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:10:25 pm »
Ignore

The humble peanut farmer played really well in a lot of rural areas. But still, Ford in the last days was able to close a huge gap between him and carter from a double digit carter victory to a 2% only margin for carter. Had those GOP voters didnt come home then carter might of won those states in the great plains.

And if you were wondering about the south, a lot of southerners were outraged over the watergate scandal. Southerners tend to give more of a backlash towards scandals than other parts of the country which was why bush in 2000 was able to swing all of the southern states that clinton won, to him by claiming he'd restore "honor and integrity to the White House"

Also in the south, he actually got out tons of evangelical christians to vote in the south by emphasizing being a born again christian. These white evangelicals were able to counter the other white southerners who voted on racial issues.  And they later switched to the GOP when they found out that carter was not the evangelical christian they'd hope he would be when in office.

solarstorm
solarstorm2012
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:16:35 pm »
Ignore

Even though many users disregard and deny the fact: Mondale delivered many voters from the Dakotas,
Kansas is a bit "Southish", and Oklahoma is part of the South.

The county map shows the geo-social behavior of the voters very well.

« Last Edit: Today at 04:18:48 pm by solarstorm »Logged

tara gilesbie
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:19:39 pm »
Ignore

Even though many users disregard and deny the fact: Mondale delivered many voters from the Dakotas,
Kansas is a bit "Southish", and Oklahoma is part of the South.

Yes, Mondale was an great asset in 1976, however mediocre he was in 1984.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT….” Hargirid paused angrily. “BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”

“This cannot be.” Snap said in a crisp voice as blood dripped from his hand where Dumblydore’s wand had shot him. “There must be other factors.”

Hydera
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:23:55 pm »
Ignore

Huh this is strange, Whats with 20% of democrats voting for ford while carter only got 10% of republicans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1976#Voter_demographics

Carter should of been the archtype democrat who could bring back the white conservative democrats back to the party. White evangelical southerner who grew up humble and had a folksy peanut farmer image. What explains why there were double of cross-party votes in favor of ford than the reverse?

If carter gained just 10% of democrats that went to ford he would of got a 400+ EV landslide

tara gilesbie
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 04:25:29 pm »
Ignore

Huh this is strange, Whats with 20% of democrats voting for ford while carter only got 10% of republicans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1976#Voter_demographics

Carter should of been the archtype democrat who could bring back the southern and/or conservative democrats back to the party. White evangelical southerner who grew up humble and had a folksy peanut farmer image. What explains why there were double of cross-party votes in favor of ford than the reverse?

Bigotry against Carter's religion.

L.D. Smith, Knight of Appalachia
MormDem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 05:21:32 pm »
Ignore

Carter should of been the archtype democrat who could bring back the southern and/or conservative democrats back to the party. White evangelical southerner who grew up humble and had a folksy peanut farmer image. What explains why there were double of cross-party votes in favor of ford than the reverse?

Bigotry against Carter's religion.

Northern Democrats and SJW liberal hacks that decided to stick with the moderate they knew than some upstart Southerner with a hick sister and beer brewing redneck brother with these conceding conservative values. (And yet they allowed Clinton and Obama both of who are rightwards to this "conservative")

These people probably voted for Kennedy in the primaries next round, the switched to Anderson or...even Reagan.

"A true truth teller who tells truths" -Not Oldiesfreak1854
sg0508
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:15:17 pm »
Ignore

The humble peanut farmer played really well in a lot of rural areas. But still, Ford in the last days was able to close a huge gap between him and carter from a double digit carter victory to a 2% only margin for carter. Had those GOP voters didnt come home then carter might of won those states in the great plains.

And if you were wondering about the south, a lot of southerners were outraged over the watergate scandal. Southerners tend to give more of a backlash towards scandals than other parts of the country which was why bush in 2000 was able to swing all of the southern states that clinton won, to him by claiming he'd restore "honor and integrity to the White House"

Also in the south, he actually got out tons of evangelical christians to vote in the south by emphasizing being a born again christian. These white evangelicals were able to counter the other white southerners who voted on racial issues.  And they later switched to the GOP when they found out that carter was not the evangelical christian they'd hope he would be when in office.
Ford closed the lead gradually from the DNC (down 62-29% after).  The Eastern Europe comment slowed the momentum and Carter foolishly dealing with Playboy gave Ford a second wind. 

SJG
Stone Cold Conservative
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Today at 09:14:07 pm »
Ignore

Carter should of been the archtype democrat who could bring back the white conservative democrats back to the party. White evangelical southerner who grew up humble and had a folksy peanut farmer image. What explains why there were double of cross-party votes in favor of ford than the reverse?

If carter gained just 10% of democrats that went to ford he would of got a 400+ EV landslide

Everyone and their grandmother were Democrats back then.  Registered Republicans made up only a little over a quarter of the population.  The potential for Democratic crossovers to Ford therefore would naturally be larger than the opposite scenario.  Those stats you are looking at for people who identify as "Democrats", so I imagine that for 1972 the number of Democrats voting for Nixon would be somewhere in the mid thirties if not higher.

Just my five cents.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:22:52 pm by Stone Cold Conservative »Logged

Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout