Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2015, 04:23:24 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  Worst-run presidential campaign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Worst-run presidential campaign  (Read 468 times)
Polls_PuffPass
ssuperflash
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 08:30:08 pm »
Ignore

Alf Landon's 1936 campaign was quite awful, as reflected by results.

Consider how much harder it was back then to gauge public opinion and disseminate information.

I read somewhere that Landon's campaign staff were confident he would win because of telephone polls showing him leading Roosevelt by comfortable margins, despite the fact that the only people who had telephones in their homes back then were middle- and upper-income people who were already more inclined to vote Republican.
You're thinking of the Literary Digest Poll.

tara gilesbie
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 08:43:54 pm »
Ignore

Alf Landon's 1936 campaign was quite awful, as reflected by results.

Consider how much harder it was back then to gauge public opinion and disseminate information.

I read somewhere that Landon's campaign staff were confident he would win because of telephone polls showing him leading Roosevelt by comfortable margins, despite the fact that the only people who had telephones in their homes back then were middle- and upper-income people who were already more inclined to vote Republican.

Even then, the number of errors he made is astonishing. Landon campaigned as if there was no Depression at all and basically targeted rich people. Well, it worked, but it was a horrible strategy during the Depression. He was also horrible with radio.

Stone Cold Conservative
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 10:50:34 pm »
Ignore

Dole 1996 seems to be a contender, given that his opponent hardly had a campaign to begin with and he STILL lost.  And badly at that.

While the Duke was a bad campaigner, at least he has the excuse that HW Bush had run a pretty nasty and downright dirty attack campaign against him.  You can't say the same of Bill TEN MILLION NEW JOBS Clinton.

Though my all time answer to this question is probably Dewey '48.  I mean damn he blew it.  Big time.  I mean I am pretty sure that Truman was less popular than polio at one point in 1948 and (probably based off of past experience in '44) Dewey's playing it safe was just dumb beyond measure especially considering that Truman should've been bleeding off votes left and right simply due to the State's Rights and Progressive tickets running that year.

My two cents.

Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass!
Joshua
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 11:23:31 pm »
Ignore

Dole 1996 seems to be a contender, given that his opponent hardly had a campaign to begin with and he STILL lost.  And badly at that.

Reminds me of SNL with Darrell Hammond as Clinton rolling out lines like "when Bob Dole first came around I barely noticed" and "I was in the middle of a reelection campaign and I... did... not... care... at... all."

No. 1 Kamala Harris hack.
OC
olawakandi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 11:33:47 pm »
Ignore

2004 John Kerry.

He didnt adequately respond to the swift boating attacks duting the late Summer of that year and allowed Dubya to take charge of campaign.

2012 Mitt Romney

Allowed Obama to define him as a rich, out of touch Wallstreeter that fired people at any cost in order to protect his assets at Bain Capital
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:48:37 pm by OC »Logged
IceSpear
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

P P
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Today at 03:46:04 am »
Ignore

April 1999, Gallup Poll Bush 54 Gore 41.

But I discount polls like this and tend to focus on the "Fundamentals"

Clinton 60% approval ratings,
GOP lost seats in 1998,
No War,
No Recession,
Economic Fundamentals Strong: Inflation, Unemployment, Fiscal Budget.

Gore should have won by 5-8 points like Daddy Bush in 1988.

One of the worst winning campaigns was also Nixon in 1968. He sat on a 15 point lead for much of the summer and almost blew it.

Id rate the best losing campaigns in no order as:
Romney 2012 (really made no public mistakes, got more votes than the GOP in 2008 and won 2 ore states).
Ford 1976 (his debate gaffe may have cost him, other than that ran a strong campaign considering where the GOP was in the 1974-76 time frame).
Humphrey 1968 (Came from 15 points down in an absolutely awful year for Dems).
Nixon 1960 (He could have called out JFK on the missile gap lie, but would have had to reveal classified info to do so).

Romney made no public mistakes? What about 47%? He was also kind of a gaffe machine with his constant out of touch remarks.

988 posts, so almost 1%

You mean almost 10%.  Which is more than 10 times the percentage that Martin O'Malley is getting in Democratic primary polls, as I'm sure IceSpear would be quick to remind us.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout