Redistricting Washingtonians abroad (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:45:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Redistricting Washingtonians abroad (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Redistricting Washingtonians abroad  (Read 1384 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« on: March 31, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »

Cool concept! I am actually surprised at how many Washingtonians wound up in the South.

I'd guess it's a mix of retirees (though most of ours go to the SW), military families, and DC confusion in VA that gave it an extra boost.
There is actually a lot of two way flow.  For example, 7,000 Washington natives were living in Alabama, and 14,000 Alabama natives were living in Washington.

Maybe a couple of Floridians got married, the husband got a job at Boeing, after having two children they got a divorce and the wife moved back to Florida.  The daughter met someone from Alabama in college, married and they decided to make their home in Alabama.   She can be 58 years old and left Washington when she was 3.

In 2000, there were 5.8 Washingtonians.  0.7 million were foreign-born.  2.8 million were native, and 2.4 million were immigrants from other States (or DC, Puerto Rico, or natural-born overseas).

Meanwhile, 1.2 million persons born in Washington now live in other states (plus an unknown number living in other countries).

Arguably, the instate districts should also be adjusted.  If Washington is giving voting rights to natives living in Kansas, then it is likely that Kansas is giving voting rights to Kansans living in Washington.   So you end up state-switchers getting extra votes.

Alternatively, you could give one vote based on state of birth and one vote based on state of resident.  So natives living in state would get two votes.

Based on that there would be:

29 LD Washington born living in Washington.
12 LD Natural-born living in Washington
3 LD Foreign-born living in Washington
6 LD Washington-born living elsewhere in the USA.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 07:22:51 PM »

Where are the stats for this?  I'm interested in doing more.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/migration/about/placeofbirth.html

In particular: State of Residence in 2000 by State of Birth

I'm not sure how bgwah used the migration data for.

Has anyone ever used the PUMS data?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies