Solution to America's problems
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:02:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Solution to America's problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Solution to America's problems  (Read 1713 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2012, 03:27:26 PM »

I have thought this for a while and one rant by a TV host sealed the deal. Bill Maher says many things which I find appalling but when he is right he sure shoots a hole in one- this video is titled about Mitt Romney but his point comes earlier at about 1:45 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW92RoJLTDg

He says outside of serving in the military, few of us do anything for our country. I think of the lessons I and so many others learned by serving and I think of the race issues in our nation today. I served in the Navy when the Civil Rights Act was passed, when integration was in full swing, when Dr. King was shot- and this did not cause any infighting between us whites and the blacks in our unit...why? -because the military is an environment where every one is equal no matter your race or background...George P. Bush had to clean the head if his company commander told him to- even if he is essentially American royalty and his company commander likely had no more then a high school diploma

The military is an institution of merit and you get out of it what you put in- it also makes young kids become adults very quickly. It teaches behaviors for a successful life- discipline, responsibility, fitness, respect, equality, etc. It forces servicemen and women to deal respectfully with problems and to be your brother's keeper- it also is the hardest thing an individual will likely ever have to do. Life after the military has had its challenges- raising children, becoming a widower, health problems, building a business, and more- but nothing compared to the rigors and the rewards of the military.

My proposal is this- mandatory two-year military service for EVERY United States citizen. Delinquent youths will be forced into a combat arms role- infantry, armor, artillery, surface warfare, etc- while the rest may compete for slots in intelligence or HR or PR or supply or finance- you name it. Any one with a severe disability would of course be excused, and more minor health issues would place the person into a support role. This structure would steer youths away from crime and the competition over the more comfortable roles would encourage academic achievement

Most importantly- it would train the young people of America to face problems like adults and end the sensationalism as Maher was discussing. Some of you have commented that I am a fairly easy-going fella- the reason is I know when things are worth getting riled up about. A 20 year old just out of the service will have the perspective to let things be when it is not worth fighting over. In addition- every citizen would have a base set of skills whether it be financial management or construction or simply physical fitness. Some would likely find their home in the military and remain an enlisted serviceman or attend an academy or a university to become an officer-

Many young people today have not faced true hardship- they grow up priveleged or coddled and so the Ten Commandments in a courthouse or a cartoon making fun of Jesus Christ riles them up to the point of jihad- just think of how the world would be if those who served were making decisions for our nation instead of those who dodged service. The sense of responsibility among veterans in the Baby Boomers is far greater then that of the five deferment pussies- and that is something tha tmust continue.

I believe sincerely that mandatory military service would- within a generation- solve the majority of our nation's problems...

I hope this can start a respectful and interesting discussion...
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »

What's your opinion on civilian national service, for those of us who like the logic behind this idea but distrust the way America has used its military over the past decades?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 03:34:02 PM »

How do you respond to the fact that most European nations that used national service are or have abandoned it?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »

What's your opinion on civilian national service, for those of us who like the logic behind this idea but distrust the way America has used its military over the past decades?
1- I don't believe any other form of national service would have the discipline of the military and thus would not instill the values I believe need to be instilled

2- Combat arms troops are not an overwhelming component of the military and out of those- fewer will see combat then you would assume. Thus most in the military will have no direct participation in a conflict

I am not trying to disregard your point- I would be keen to hear which national service you would propose as an alternative because I do believe a general national service would be a step in the right direction even if it not quite what I believe needs to happen
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 03:38:08 PM »

How do you respond to the fact that most European nations that used national service are or have abandoned it?
I can't respond with any expertise but I will say that I look at a nation like France which appears to become more divided by the day- the National Front on one end, radical Islam on the other, youth gangs, etc-  I believe it would do some good over there to resinstate it

I would be interested to hear the history of national service in Britain- is there any thing you recommend I could read to educate myself on it so we can discuss this further?
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 03:45:37 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2012, 03:54:43 PM by Purch »

Really? I was just about to say the solution to America's problems is to cut the extreme amount of money from the defense budget that we're wasting on these undeclared wars we never should have gotten involved in. Also cut spending domestically from many off these entitlement programs and government departments.  Both Major parties seems to want to cut one of these but not both which shows that neither take our national debt that seriously.  And if you're talking about the future of the American people the solution is to educate the next generation to think for themselves rather than just agree with whatever these politicians of the major two political parties represent. By doing this politicians will actually have to become moderate and learn to come towards the middle rather than being extremely to the left or to the right which will lead us to better solutions to education, healthcare, foreign affairs, gang violence... ext
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 03:57:34 PM »

Didn't think you were such a statist, clarence. Why not go the full monty and advocate Communism? You can serve the state until you drop.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 04:02:18 PM »

Historically, the French military has been a stronghold of the extreme right.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 04:02:25 PM »

Didn't think you were such a statist, clarence. Why not go the full monty and advocate Communism? You can serve the state until you drop.
The military doesn't need men or women right now- I advocate this more for the individuals then the nation though I believe if the individuals are better people or better citizens because of this then of course it helps the nation long-term
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »

Really? I was just about to say the solution to America's problems is to cut the extreme amount of money from the defense budget that we're wasting on these undeclared wars we never should have gotten involved in. Also cut spending domestically from many off these entitlement programs and government departments.  Both Major parties seems to want to cut one of these but not both which shows that neither take our national debt that seriously.  And if you're talking about the future of the American people the solution is to educate the next generation to think for themselves rather than just agree with whatever these politicians of the major two political parties represent. By doing this politicians will actually have to become moderate and learn to come towards the middle rather than being extremely to the left or to the right which will lead us to better solutions to education, healthcare, foreign affairs, gang violence... ext
Wars that were undeclared but initiated mostly by folks who evaded service themselves...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 04:12:19 PM »

The military doesn't need men or women right now- I advocate this more for the individuals then the nation though I believe if the individuals are better people or better citizens because of this then of course it helps the nation long-term
So, if you admit that the military doesn't need people, what will they being doing all day? Digging holes and then filling them in? And how do you intend to pay for this? Employing every person in the country will be an expensive project. Even if you enslave them and refuse pay, you still have to house and feed them. And then, once everybody is a veteran, you have to give healthcare and such forever. I don't think you are thinking through the practical consquences of your suggestion.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 04:29:19 PM »

So, if you admit that the military doesn't need people, what will they being doing all day? Digging holes and then filling them in? And how do you intend to pay for this? Employing every person in the country will be an expensive project. Even if you enslave them and refuse pay, you still have to house and feed them. And then, once everybody is a veteran, you have to give healthcare and such forever. I don't think you are thinking through the practical consquences of your suggestion.
To begin- I realize this would be a huge expenditure. Also realize that this will result in a massive reduction in debt for young people- the GI bill will pay for their college education. No student loans and their living expenses for 2 years will be covered...in addition to health coverage, it will also make these young people healthier and with a more fitness-oriented mindset to prevent them from becoming unhealthier later in life. Overall- the less personal debt, the better our economy- it is a long term theory and definitely more theory then practice as you pointed out- but over time government expenditures will be reduced I believe because the military trains people to take care of themselves- an Army of one is what that branch uses, but that training takes place in every branch.

As for what they will do all day- a proposal lke this would eliminate the National Guard for example so domestic duties such as disaster relief would become the duty of the military. In addition- because more of the brightest youths would be in the military in this proposal, duties such as intelligence can be transitioned from agencies to the military... these alone do not match the lack in objectives that you have accurately pointed out, but it is a start...

Your points are well taken and you ar ecorrect that I have not thought thru many of these consequences...I am keen to see your response to what I have posted here and continue this discussion
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »

By non-military national service I was thinking of things that could themselves have plenty of discipline, like foreign or domestic aid work (there are actually a lot of things that could stand to be improved about the way America is structured and put together on the ground level, domestically; look up 'food deserts' some time, to name just one example that I was thinking about today for unrelated reasons).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 04:55:19 PM »

We just finally got rid of this nonsense in Germany last year (and in most European countries several years ago).

We don't need to already talk of bringing slavery back.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 05:11:44 PM »

So basically you favor a reinstatement of the draft -Israeli style (women included).  
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 05:57:40 PM »

With respect, I strongly oppose mandatory military service. I consider different behaviors and
values conducive to personal success than do you, would encourage them via different means,
and do not think growing up "priveleged or coddled" on its own can make folks worse citizens.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 06:11:15 AM »

If by "fix America's problems" you mean "cause riots in every city" then okay. Just because you became a better person for your service does not mean it would work for all or even many people. I mean no disrespect, of course, crazy old man.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 06:19:51 AM »

Nobody wants this, most importantly the two groups that would be directly involved in it....the military and the youths.  Bad Idea.
WillK

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 07:47:38 AM »

Nobody wants this, most importantly the two groups that would be directly involved in it....the military and the youths.  Bad Idea.

That teenagers and the military industrial complex don't like an idea doesnt make it a bad one. 

I'd be supportive if it was coupled with a dismantling of the existing military. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 08:59:24 AM »

That teenagers and the military industrial complex don't like an idea doesnt make it a bad one. 
Well no, but if they are the two groups most affected by something, their opinion should have some weight shouldn't it?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 11:38:53 AM »

Considering that the primary, major problem facing America is fiscal insolvency, I find it ironic that the "Solution to America's Problems" is a multi-trillion dollar expenditure with no attached funding mechanism.

Also, most American's are libertarians deep down and don't want to be compelled to do something.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 12:32:50 PM »

clarence, the problem with America is the rich.  (yes, to a lesser extent the prudish/religious are a big negative, but it is the rich who are truly destroying everyone else).
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 04:27:17 PM »

I would be interested to hear the history of national service in Britain- is there any thing you recommend I could read to educate myself on it so we can discuss this further?

Can't think of anything myself, but there's some stuff out there, mostly people's nostalgic stories about doing it. You've got to remember we didn't have a "big war" after 1945 like Korea (although we were there) or Vietnam (which we stayed out of).

I assume that in your proposed military service you would allow exceptions for conscientious objectors.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 04:47:19 PM »

lol @ conscription as a solution to anything
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 04:49:12 PM »

To those of you who have pointed out the national debt- I agree with your point but also consider that the debt has mostly been added by the generation which ducked service more then any other
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies