Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 11:56:41 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread.  (Read 7658 times)
retromike22
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:20:14 pm »
Ignore

I think it's Sam Brownback. He is:

1. Sufficiently economically and socially conservative (to ease the worries of the conservatives with Romney, a la Palin with McCain)
2. Catholic (A plus in Ohio and Pennsylvania, possibly Florida)
3. 14 years as a Senator, but currently a Governor. (He has long Washington experience but is currently "outside" of Washington. This can frame the choice as the GOP Governors vs. the Democratic Washington insiders)
4. He's not old. (currently 55)
5. Rejects evolution (Boo science!)

Edit: I changed the title to reflect the discussion over which candidate would be the perfect vp choice. I think it's a better discussion anyway.

2nd Edit: I'm going to rename this thread (yet again), since it seems to have the longest discussion of vice presidential nominees.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:56:35 pm by retromike22 »Logged

I wrote and directed my own movie. It's about an intern, a doctor, a mayor, a cross dressing prostitute, farmers, aliens, and zombies:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=181696.0
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:22:59 pm »
Ignore

Cuz he would definitely help win Independents Roll Eyes

i like girls but there is NOTHING better then a sexi hott dude
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Burkina Faso

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 05:28:39 pm »
Ignore

Romney needs to pick an experienced Southern or Midwestern Protestant who is conservative enough to keep the base excited and moderate enough to not put off independents. Thune would be perfect if he were at least more charismatic than drying paint.

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 05:28:52 pm »
Ignore

No. Among other things, they both have one thing at least in common - they're colorless. And Brownback can't deliver a speech as well as Mittens, which is well - sobering.

Brownback when he converted to Catholicism not only jettisoned Protestantism, but evolution along with it?  He's a traitor squared! Both of my parents are turning over in their graves at once. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 05:33:33 pm by Torie »Logged

fezzyfestoon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 05:37:14 pm »
Ignore

I for one definitely don't think Romney needs to shore up the conservative vote. They've proven themselves to be quite amenable to whatever crap the Republican Party puts out for them. The real problem is with wishy-washy suburban types. The more Romney-esque the ticket gets, the better. Huntsman could be a home-run. I don't think he's said anything that faux-outrage could grow from in his life.

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot about the double-Mormon issue. That's worse than a Scientologist...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:42:32 pm by fezzyfestoon »Logged
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 05:37:51 pm »
Ignore

Romney probably won't choose anyone who's less charismatic than himself.
perdedor
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 05:47:33 pm »
Ignore

Despite contrary belief, Romney will do fine among conservatives as the election rolls along. Independents are the group that will trouble him and picking someone like Sam Brownback does nothing to alleviate that problem.

redcommander
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 05:52:12 pm »
Ignore

I still say Chris Christie is the best VP, but Mittens is probably going to be compelled to choose Rubio. Plus don't Romney and Brownback hate each other?
SirNick
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 06:33:44 pm »
Ignore

Rob Portman
Indy Texas
independentTX
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 08:31:26 pm »
Ignore

1. Yes.
2. No. Conservative Catholics already vote Republican. Mainstream Catholics tend to be put off by the kind of Catholics the GOP offers up.
3. Maybe. Expect the Obama campaign to drudge up every remotely untoward thing Brownback did or voted on while in Congress.
4. Yes.
5. No. The people for whom this is an issue are going to vote for Mitt Romney in November no matter who he picks as his running mate.

"Well, religious beliefs aren't reasonable. I mean, religious beliefs are categorical. You know, it's God tells you. It's not a matter of being reasonable. God be reasonable? He's supposed to have a full beard."
—Hon. Antonin Scalia, Holt v. Hobbs (2014)

A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 1.13

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 09:32:55 pm »
Ignore

While conservative, he's done too many controversial things at the national stage during his term as Governor.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 10:20:49 pm »
Ignore

Romney would be a politically tone-deaf idiot to have another governor as his running mate.  So while it is possible, it would not be a good choice.  If Romney is the nominee, I think he goes for a Senator as his running mate.  Richard Burr of North Carolina would be a good fit for Romney, but not the only one.

My ballot:
Haley(R) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 09:31:10 am »
Ignore

Burr would be perfect except for one minor problem: His bank run comments back in 2009 leaves one wondering if he's dumber than Palin. Apparently he'd never heard of the FDIC before.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 09:59:14 am »
Ignore

Burr would be perfect except for one minor problem: His bank run comments back in 2009 leaves one wondering if he's dumber than Palin. Apparently he'd never heard of the FDIC before.

While the FDIC usually manages to deal with bank failures smoothly, if we had had multiple large banks fail as some feared at the time if the liquidity crisis, then there was a definite risk of a temporary loss of access to funds in affected banks.  Thankfully the risk never materialized, but it was there.

My ballot:
Haley(R) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
Bacon King
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 12:52:37 am »

Sam Brownback? Really? He makes even Tim Pawlenty seem exciting in comparison.

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.

TheGlobalizer
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 11:57:12 am »
Ignore

For Romney, I think Jim DeMint is the best VP pick.

I like Rubio but they need to not Palin him.
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 11:58:53 am »
Ignore

Richard Burr.

lawlz
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 03:22:26 pm »
Ignore

Richard Burr.

Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 04:49:15 pm »
Ignore

Burr wouldn't bring anything enthusiasm to the ticket.

Rooney
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 05:46:35 pm »
Ignore

I do not see why Romney does not select former presidential liaison officer Linda Chavez for the vice-presidency. She is very conservative, media tested, has run for office before, has the right connections in the Beltway, is Hispanic, a woman and has shown empathy in terms of helping undocumented workers. What is the downside?

Political Matrix:
Economic score: +8.65
Social score: -8.00
morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 07:07:39 pm »
Ignore

I do not see why Romney does not select former presidential liaison officer Linda Chavez for the vice-presidency. She is very conservative, media tested, has run for office before, has the right connections in the Beltway, is Hispanic, a woman and has shown empathy in terms of helping undocumented workers. What is the downside?

How well known is she?
Nagas
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -7.65

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 07:21:10 pm »
Ignore

How well known is she?

Not well known at all. The last time she was involved in nation politics was an assistant to Reagan. She left that post to get crushed in the Maryland Senatorial.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 08:13:18 pm »
Ignore

McDonnell or Jindal, preferably Jindal.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
milhouse24
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 09:46:22 pm »
Ignore

For Romney, I think Jim DeMint is the best VP pick.

I like Rubio but they need to not Palin him.

I like DeMint as the best choice among current Senators.  He's been around for a while, has relatively high name recognition in the South, has experience, is liked by Evangelcials and Tea Partiers, and can help shore up the conservative base; while Romney appeals to Catholic moderates in Ohio. 

Portman would be a good choice if he had served longer in the Senate, but I think he is too new in the public eye to be taken seriously by the media.  He's more of a cabinet member option.  He might be able to deliver Ohio, but the ticket would lose a lot of enthusiasm in important southern swing states like Virginia and Florida.  He is sort of like Dick Cheney, had a lot of experience but didn't help or hurt the ticket during the election. 

Burr is okay, but Burr is also the ex-Vice President who killed Hamilton, so that may be a bad omen to deal with. 

Thune is a safe choice, but he might not help in Ohio or Florida.  He suffers from the Evan Bayh shrinking nice guy syndrome.  Campaigns need loud fighters.  Thune also pissed off a lot of Tea Partiers with the bailouts, and he's not as popular with southern evangelicals as the other guys listed. 

Rubio is a bad choice because he is very young and very inexperienced.  The moment he messes up, he will be compared to dan quayle, sarah palin, and john edwards. 
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 09:56:53 pm »
Ignore

DeMint will not take it, nor would Romney offer. He's always preferred being King of the Teepers. I think Romney's shortlist includes McDonnell, Jindal, Ryan and Portman myself. Perhaps Rubio gets the keynote.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout