Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 12:59:23 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread.  (Read 7548 times)
IDS Ex-Speaker Ben Kenobi
Ben Kenobi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 06:14:39 am »
Ignore

Dick Lugar would be perfect, Winfield.

"By not voting, you would let someone win who wants to destroy the regions, raise taxes, remove guns from the street, nationalize transit, expand abortion coverage, a gut the military." - Hagrid
All In For KC
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2012, 11:34:33 am »
Ignore

Dick Lugar would be perfect, Winfield.
He would never accept, I promise you. Maybe 10 years ago, but not today.

Plus, Romney needs someone who can get the far-right pretty excited, and as Lugar's Senate primary has shown, he couldn't do that. Lugar is pretty uncharasmatic, pretty old, has low stamina. The only positive he brings is his foreign policy experience.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 11:50:35 am »
Ignore

Let's face it: there really isn't a "perfect" candidate for VP this election. Unless it's someone completely out of left field with foreign policy experience and is conservative, but not conservative enough to scare away indies, the GOP is cooked, this one's over.

i like girls but there is NOTHING better then a sexi hott dude
Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2012, 12:06:48 pm »
Ignore

I could maybe consider Romney if he chooses Collins or Hagel, but the conservatives dislike him enough as it is...

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2012, 12:25:01 pm »
Ignore

Hagel

Oh how I wish.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2012, 12:54:36 pm »
Ignore

I don't think that he should pick anyone related to the congress. Think about what happened in 1996 and 1948, among other elections probably.

Bob McDonnell, Susana Martinez

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=195483.new#new
the birth of modern america & onward election Frederick Douglas becomes the 1st African American president of the united states when he wins election to the office in 1892 only 30 years after the height of slavery in the United States. He narrowly wins reelection in 1896 against William Jennings Bryan. Douglas runs again in 1900 and even indicated his interest in a 4th run in 1904 but Grover Cleveland wins the 1900 election.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2012, 01:15:35 pm »
Ignore

Heilemann's take.

http://nymag.com/news/politics/powergrid/romney-running-mate-heilemann-2012-4/

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2012, 01:18:34 pm »
Ignore

Bob McDonnell

Not exactly a great choice after his recent...existence.

Ben Kenobi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2012, 02:01:29 pm »
Ignore

Lugar is pretty uncharasmatic, pretty old, has low stamina.

And his flaws?

"By not voting, you would let someone win who wants to destroy the regions, raise taxes, remove guns from the street, nationalize transit, expand abortion coverage, a gut the military." - Hagrid
Chris B
cb48026
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2012, 05:01:17 pm »
Ignore

According to this article from the Washington Post, per campaign staff, Romney is less likely to pick a 'game changing' pick and may try and get around picking a more conservative pick.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mitt-romneys-veepstakes-begin/2012/03/30/gIQATWo8lS_story.html
All In For KC
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2012, 06:22:04 pm »
Ignore

Lugar is pretty uncharasmatic, pretty old, has low stamina.

And his flaws?

All of that, plus the fact that he has a rather moderate voting record that many conservatives wouldn't be too keen on. I would love him to be VP - I just don't think it's good from an electability standpoint unless you're Obama. Lugar was also very favorable of Obama back when Obama first took office and had good things to say about him, so those soundbites would certainly be played over and over in a GE.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
Ben Kenobi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2012, 06:33:27 pm »
Ignore

From what you're saying, he would put the O in GOP. Sounds like he'd be perfect. He'd make Romney look positively vivid.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:38:54 pm by Ben Kenobi »Logged

Swedish Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2012, 07:30:46 pm »
Ignore

I've said it from the beginning. Jim DeMint, socially-conservative southern tea party leader with brains and years of experience who supported Mitt already in 08 would be the only sensible choice.

Now I get the love for Rubio, but he's to untried at the moment. Romney will not risk that so soon after Palin.

Cory
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2012, 11:00:19 pm »
Ignore

The more I think about it the better Jindal looks for Romney's VEEP slot. He's socially conservative, a (popular) Southern Governor, and ethnic. I don' think anybody really cares/remembers about the SOTU response in 2009 anymore. A good convention speech and it will be like it never happened.

I'm having a hard time seeing many flaws. Anybody else?
morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2012, 11:05:45 pm »
Ignore

I've said it from the beginning. Jim DeMint, socially-conservative southern tea party leader with brains and years of experience who supported Mitt already in 08 would be the only sensible choice.

Now I get the love for Rubio, but he's to untried at the moment. Romney will not risk that so soon after Palin.

DeMint's the most conservative Senator in the Senate. Independents vote too, remember?
TheGlobalizer
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2012, 11:57:14 am »
Ignore

I actually think Tom Coburn would be a rather brilliant pick as well.  I think Ron Paul could tolerate endorsing a ticket with Coburn on it.
GLPman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2012, 03:58:03 pm »
Ignore

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, especially since it's obvious at this point that Romney will be the nominee. There are three people that stand out in my mind as the best picks for Romney at this point:

1) Bob McDonnell - A southern governor that will help Romney with the base of the party. He might even help swing Virginia towards Romney. He's proven to be an effective campaigner, as well. The only problem is that he might come off as a little too conservative to independents.

2) Marco Rubio - Obvious, perhaps, but nonetheless an overall solid choice. Rubio could help deliver Florida. He's conservative enough to help Romney with the base. Any Rubio-Palin analogy is flawed because Palin was fairly well unknown, plus Rubio actually has some experience. One flaw, though, is that Obama could tie Rubio to the "Do-Nothing" Congress.

3) Bobby Jindal -  Relatively popular governor of a southern state who would certainly help Romney with the base. In addition, his Indian heritage certainly doesn't hurt. While he isn't from a swing state, he is certainly more well-known than the other candidates. One set back is his SOTU response, though.

I'm convinced it will be one of these three individuals. All three of these men offer more than Martinez, Portman, Burr, Thune, or other discussed candidates.

TheGlobalizer
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2012, 04:00:14 pm »
Ignore

I'll say here, now:

It won't be McDonnell or Rubio.  Rubio is Palin and McDonnell is the vagina guy.
milhouse24
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03:48 pm »
Ignore

Name just one reason why Jeb would not be the best VP nominee?  And blaming his last name is a cop-out and if you're worried about last names, then "hussein obama" didn't scare away a majority of voters.  A majority of the voters will not be scared away from "bush".

Plus his better half is hispanic.

If Jeb is picked, the liberal media will be pooping their pants for the next 8 years, as will all liberals. 
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2012, 08:09:40 pm »
Ignore

WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT JEB BUSH?

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2012, 09:55:19 pm »
Ignore

WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT JEB BUSH?

Right? I wanna know why the right continues to wet themselves so much about him.

MagneticFree
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2012, 10:58:40 pm »
Ignore

What about Paul Ryan?

Paul/Cruz 2016!
retromike22
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2012, 12:13:27 am »
Ignore

I've got it! What about Phil Gramm?!

I wrote and directed my own movie. It's about an intern, a doctor, a mayor, a cross dressing prostitute, farmers, aliens, and zombies:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=181696.0
Cory
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2012, 09:21:55 am »
Ignore

3) Bobby Jindal -One set back is his SOTU response, though.

I don't think anyone really cares about that anymore. Like I said earlier he's a good convention speech away from it having virtually never happened.
GLPman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2012, 09:48:29 am »
Ignore

3) Bobby Jindal -One set back is his SOTU response, though.

I don't think anyone really cares about that anymore. Like I said earlier he's a good convention speech away from it having virtually never happened.

Except I'm not sure if Jindal could really pull off that good convention speech. He's not exactly very charismatic.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout